my sisters results

shelliemacs

well my sister got good news today. her lymph nodes were clear :lol:

the surgeon told us he thought they would be and they are. BUT he did leave her with a big decision. the "margin" tissue he took from her original tumor site contained cells that are what he called "In Situ" or I guess that means pre-cancerous. So he said they may or may never turn into tumors. He said the way she could guarantee never getting that cancer back in that site again was to have a complete mastectomy.

she was sad over hearing this news, at the same time I was THRILLED to hear her lymph nodes are clear.

I asked him "does this mean right now my sister has NO cancer in her body" and he said "Yes" so I am taking this victory tonight to bed with me and thanking my parents over and over again for watching out for her and letting me keep her here.

she has a decision to make with her oncologist about the possible mastectomy and then she will start radiation.

also...

i again apologize for not posting many replies to you all. I have been dealing with a depression lately that I can't overcome. I am taking my meds as directed, but I think dealing with cancer a third time in less than 18 months is really taking a toll on me now.

I plan on getting professional help if this episode does not let up soon.

I think of you all daily and I share your joys and sorrow and grief. I would not have made it this long without each and every one of you.

I was wondering were you two were with your treatment plan. So glad you posted.

Getting clean margins is not always an easy thing. I had a friend who went in twice to try to get clean margins, but they ended up doing a mastectomy anyway.

I had both---a lumpectomy, then later a mastectomy. and I had reconstruction done at the same time. I was 41 at the time and my breast feeding days were over, so . . .

As always, I am available if she wants to talk with me.

gail

PS I hqave been seeing a therapist for 3 straight years, and just saw her today. I booked the next four weeks straight, never did that before, cause my baby is leaving for college at the end of the month

:shock:

Shelly,

I had bilateral mastectomies done because I had premalignant tissue throughout the breasts, as well as in the recurrent breast tumors (along with severe fibrocystic disease). I had reconstruction done at a later date (6 months) and to be honest the reconstruction was (is) the only part of the process I have any regrets over. If I had it to do over now I would not have had reconstruction done with silicone implants/saline filled silicone implants. I would opt for another procedure that doesn't require the use of implants at all. The implants interfere with some diagnostic studies (echocardiograms, for instance). Reconstruction using the patients own tissue does not interfere with these studies.

I am very happy that she has clear nodes...always good news.

And I think of you each day, Shelly, and hope that the depression lifts soon.

((((Shellie))))

Hugs and a special Happy Dance going out for yours and Katies good news. Sweetie you have been through sooooo much, that reaching out for some help to deal with it all is a sensible plan of action.

Take care sweetie and plan a little relaxation now to help you unwind a little from all the stress.

Blessings

Betty

Shelly,

That is wonderful news!!! My Sister had stage 2b cancer a year ago and first has a lumpectomy but then they found lymph node involement so she opted to have a double masectomy with reconstruction at the same time. After testing the other breast tissue there was found to be no cancer cells but she did not want to live with the worry. She still has expanders in and has not had the implants put in yet but she is going to go with saline vs silicone as they are suppose to feel and look more real. She is a year out and we are praying for that 5 year out for the cure. JMHO is that I would want the masectomy if it were me as I wouldnt want to have it haunt me either. What ever your Sister chooses will be right for her I am sure. In the mean time CELEBRATE She is now cancer free!!!

As for your depression I can only imagine. I feel quite depressed still a lot of the time and would just love to find the old Jane back again. Hugs and kisses and prayers for you and your Sis Shelly!!!

God Bless You Both,

Jane

Shelly,

I'm SOOOOO happy for your sister's results, and I know she'll make the right decision for her next steps. And I'm just SOOOOOO glad you got good news, for once!!! I hope your depression will lift soon and am glad you're going to get help if it doesn't. Savor the good news... I'm doin' the happy dance with you two tonight!

BeckyCW

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

NO cancer! Wonderful. You need some good news. You've been through so much it's hard to take it all in. I hope you can get through this heavy fog called depression. I sure as he** know how that feels. Many times your comments have helped me with my depression - made me feel better. I wish I could lift your depression from you. I'm sorry that your sis is facing such a tough decision. Both of you take care. I'm saying prayers.

Cat

Congrats on the good news!

It's no wonder you're feeling depressed - you've had to cope with waaay too much. You need some "Shelly Time" to really take care of yourself and recharge your spirit. Also you may need a dose adjustment of your meds (spoken by someone who's had to have their meds adjusted a time or two :wink: ).

Jane

Shellie,

I am very glad to hear that your sister has no cancer in the nodes, and has the time to make a careful decision about the next step.

You , dearheart, I would gently suggest getting started with the professional help now, so if/when you critically need it it is in place. It wouldn't hurt to work ahead on this; depression is another sort of beast that is blasted difficult to beat. There is no shame in asking for help when you know you've had enough, or are approaching that point. And you, dear Shellie, have had a very very rough time. Please consider it.

We're awfully fond of you, and want you to take the best care of yourself you possibly can.

Be gentle with yourself, it's possible you're a wee bit fragile after all this.

XOXOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Shellie,

So tickled to hear your sister's good news. Hurrah for you focusing on that. It is frustrating to get a "good news, but...?" But we are all praying for everything to come together for her and for you. We sure are pulling for you too and want you to take care of yourself!

Shelly,

So glad to hear about the clear nodes. I know what a big decision it is for your sister -- but I'm sure she'll get the guidance she needs to make the right one.

And now it's time for you to take care of yourself. It's exhausting being the caregiver -- and you've been that far more than anyone should have to. I concur that getting some help now might stave off real trouble in the future -- after all, we can only take so much!