Hospice Already?

Terry

Terry,

My heart goes out to you. Maybe the help of hospice would be a good thing until your husband feels a little better. I understand that you can always stop it if you feel you and he can manage on your own later. Meantime pse give thought to the "second opinion". I do hope you have some help, (a relative or friend,) it would be awful to think of you going through this alone? Prayers going up for you, your husband and your little one.

Love

Paddy

Well, we made it through the first 24 hours at home just fine. I am so proud of John. He not only accepted the hospital bed and commode but seemed to be grateful for them. I know he was dreading those stairs. I am relieved that he didn’t insist on being the hero and attempt them.

I feel silly now that I was so panicked. Were it not for the support and encouragement of all of you, we would have conceded and signed up with hospice. No one at the hospital was telling us to keep fighting. Mostly they all looked at us with sympathetic expressions that seemed to say “Hospice? How sad.”

Lisa O: “Please consider getting another opinion to separate the MRSA symptoms from the chemo symptoms.” RIGHT ON! It seems so obvious to me that most, if not all, of his reaction was related to MRSA, not chemo.

Elaine: “. . . most insurance companies pay for in-home nursing care. . ., … do whatever you can to get the care you and your husband need …” I called hospice, told them we weren’t ready to accept their services, and expressed my concern that we were getting overlooked because the hospital assumed hospice would handle the transition to home. Presto. Just as John was being discharged from the hospital we were informed that both visiting nurses and physical therapists would be coming to our home.

Thank you, God. Thank you, everyone. It feels so good to have him back home. I can’t believe that only yesterday I was dreading it.

Terry

Glad to hear that things are working out a little better. Perhaps you can now get them sorted out enough to figure out what is what -- the infection vs. the effects of cancer. Keep on demanding the best help you can get and know that we're all rooting for you and and your husband.

Ellen

Boy Terry, you scared the heck out of me when I read your posts here. I'm glad things are better now and I sure hope it's on the up and up from here on. I remember when I thought my hubbie should be in the hospital because he was so weak and felt so miserable. The emergency room Dr. advised against it because of staff infection possibility and sent us home.

That was when he was at his worst, but he is much better now.

I'm thinking of you!

:!:

I just want to throw in my two cents worth here, having been in the same situation. First of all, like all have suggested, get a second opinion. You will find that you will often have to fight the "system" to get done what needs to be done for your husband. Secondly, Hospice is something that does not necessarily mean a death sentence. There are many folks around right now that have been a hospice patient previously. You can discontinue hospice at any time you wish. However, I do believe they will not get involved if the patient is actively receiving any treatment, other than methods to relieve pain. If you are going to get a second opinion, then I would hold off on calling hospice. If you are going to let things be for the time, I would certainly call them. They can be a really big help to you with the care of your husband. Hope things are much better by the time you read this post.