No Replies To My Radiation / Chemo Question ?

Bill

from my 8/4/04 Bi-Lateral Hip X-Ray post I asked :

Thanks to Jane and all of the other positive thinkers. The oncologist offered to stop chemo and order radiation for the pelvis. But, he tried to discourage my wife from doing so at this time. He would like to continue with the chemo and hold off on the radiation until later OR until her hip pain worsens. She ( we ) decided to trust his judgment on this and postponed the radiation. He basically argued that there are several pitfalls to interrupting the chemo and administering radiation at this time. Do you agree ? And, has anybody been faced with a similar situation ? If so, what did you do ?

Thanks. BTW, my wife's bio is added per Don Wood's suggestion.

////////////////////

I'm sure that I have read and heard that some cancer patients are receiving chemo and radiation at the same time. As I stated above, my wife's oncologist told us unequivocally NO ! It's one or the other and he added that if the blood #s deteriorate, scarring develops ( ? ), etc. with the radiation ( in her case radiation to her pelvis ) that could further delay resumption of, or even lessen the effective of, the chemo. Thanks in advance for any input or opinions on this confusing subject.

Well I can only tell you that John had chemo and radiation at the same time as have others on here. Our oncologist told us there was a better result from the radiation if you had chemo also. John did not have a full strength dose but a low level chemo to help with the radiation.

Sorry I missed your post before. Don't know how, I try to keep up with all of them.

Maybe others will be more help.

All the best to you and your wife.

Rochelle

Maybe the oncologist has a good reason for recommending that she not have them together, but I don't recall hearing this recommendation before. First thing is to pin down the onc and ask him why. Second is to get another opinion. Never hurts to have a 2nd or even 3rd or 4th opinion. Best wishes to you both, Teresa

Dear Bill,

My mom's onc is opposed to doing radiation and chemo at the same time. I always advised my mom to stick with chemo, if she could bare the pain, as the chemo would treat her systemically and the radiation would only target the one area.

Hope this helps,

Denise

I had radiation and chemo together, but it was on soft tissue, not bone.

Perhaps the good bone won't grow back if they do both simultaneously?

Ask for a more thorough explanation. I can sense you're worrying yourself sick over this....

Good luck to you.

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

FYI :

The bio describes my wife's condition. RE: her chemo dosage levels, I believe that she is on a 28-day chemo cycle. Gemzar 1200mg. and carboplatin 200mg. on day 1, Gemzar 1200mg. on day 8, then off for a couple of weeks.

How do these dosages measure up to you people with a similar CA profile ? High, low, average ? Maybe the oncologist would have to lower the chemo dosages in order to include radiation ? Maybe he doesn't want to do that ?

Steve had radiation to chest, back and hip at the same time as he was getting Carbo/Taxol/Aredia on a 28 day cycle. Sorry I can't remember the dosage (I do wish I had kept better records - just was too numb). He had outstanding results from it. The one thing the onc. told us he could not do was WBR (whole brain radiation) and chemo at the same time. Hope things get figured out soon.

Bill,

My dad had both chemo and radiation to the lung and throat at the same time. I dont think he had any problems from the combo. of both of them, although the radiation alone was worse for them. Im not sure what your dr. is thinking...

Jamie

Bill, I did not see your earlier post. Lucie was given Taxotere/Carboplatin at the same time she was having radiation on her upper spine, followed by radiation on her hip and leg. It does tend to put one down, with dehydration a real problem when taking both together. In her case, the bone mets were threatening the integrity of the bone areas and it could not wait until the chemo was finished.

I would agree to pin down the onc on why he won't do both together, and if you don't like the answers you get, get another opinion. Radiation does relieve the bone pain.

Your onc may be reluctant to do radiation until he sees what the chemo does. Once an area is radiated, they cannot radiate it again, so he may be trying to save his options for later.

Best to you. Don

Hi Bill

My mom is going thru chemo and radiation both right now, and has been since she was dx. She does chemo once a week and radiation every day (m-f), the chemo is "low-dose" and she will start "high dose" about 2 weeks after radiation ends. Maybe because of the radiation that why the chemp is a low dose, im not sure. But yes you can have both at the same time. We were told my both the onc and rad onc that double treatment was preferable and better results were seen. I am not though that this theoery would apply to everyone. Everyone is different.

god bless

kim

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry, I must have missed your post also. I live in Southern CA too. I had chemo and radiation at the same time. I also had a brain met and had surgery and stereotactic radiation. Where is your wife being treated, if you don't mind me asking. PM me if you want and I can share my experience with you and your wife. You are both in my prayers...

God Bless, :)

Karen

Bill-

I am currently having radiation and low dose chemo. All my Dr's recommended 33 rad treatments and 5 weekly chemos during rad. Once rad is complete I will have 4 full chemos treatments, done every 3 weeks. They said this is "aggressive" treatment and that they were "hitting me hard" because of my age and that "I could take it". Sounds like doing both together is the norm, but definately get another opinion. Good Luck!