Dad has passed away

clump55

I originally wrote on 5/14 saying that my dad had just finished his radiation and was very tired. Little did I know that I'd be writing now letting you know that he passed away on May 27. He was so weak after that radiation. He had an open sore on his chest that just was not healing. We later found out that the inside of his lungs were burned from the radiation.

He went into emergency for one night; came home and we got him a hospital bed (he didn't want my son carrying him to bed anymore), a walker, a toilet helper and he was on oxygen. He then fell the next ngith in the bathroom and from there it was downhill. He was fine by the time my brother and son picked him off the floor but while putting him back into bed, something happened (maybe his respiration was compromised at that time) and he never really regained full consciousness. The paramedics actually pulled him thru twice.

He died one week after that. Not from the lung cancer but from acute pneumonia.

It has been horrible. So sad. We literally watched him take his last breath. But I wanted to let everyone here know how much i learned from this site. I would go home and tell my dad what I had read. He had such high hopes of getting stronger after that radiation.

Thank you everyone who wrote to me and comforted me. And good luck to everyone else here. Lung cancer is a horrible, horrible disease. I pray for each and everyone of you that has to visit this site.

Thank you all again,

Nancy

Dear Nancy---I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Dad----

it does not feel like it now, but the horrible memories do go away and you will be able to remember the good times with him

again so sorry for your loss

regards Eileen

Nancy I am so so sorry, My dad passed away May 25th and it was way way quicker than we expected also. And we were all there for his last breath ourselves which i can not tell you has changed my life in a way i am not 100% sure of yet is good or bad. I am happy i was there for HIM, for myself i try to stop thinking about that moment and i can't. If you need to talk i am here, so please do not hesitate to PM me!!! again i am so so sorry!

Nancy,

I can express how sorry I am at the loss of your dear father.

This disease truly is Horrible, and I hate it so much. The pain it causes, the fear, the heartache is unimaginable.

I am praying that you and your family will find peace, and be able to reminisce about the good and happy times and find comfort in all the love and warmth of those memories.

God Bless,

Carleen

Guest bessb

I am so sorry about your dad. This disease is horrible. God bless you and your family

Bess B

SCLC w/Mets to Liver 2/14

Irinotecan & Taxol

So so sorry for your lost but am happy your father is through with the suffering. You will have happy thoughts soon when you let go of these past months and remember the fun times. Just be glad you were there with him through it all..... God Bless

Dear Nancy,

Please accept condolences on the loss of your beloved father. Yes, watching the last breath be drawn is exquisitely painful. His life was snatched away by this horrible disease, and you are left aching. May God's grace abide with you and assist your healing.

Nancy, I am so sorry. Pneumonia also caused my dad's death, not his cancer. In a way it was a blessing because he did not have to suffer so very long. He was terminal and there were absolutely no options for tx. It is a cliche, but I promise with time you will be able to think of him with a smile instead of tears. God bless.

Nancy, I am so sorry. Pneumonia also caused my dad's death, not his cancer. In a way it was a blessing because he did not have to suffer so very long. He was terminal and there were absolutely no options for tx. It is a cliche, but I promise with time you will be able to think of him with a smile instead of tears. God bless. Hopeful2

IM SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR DAD....HES AT PEACE NOW AND IN A MUCH BETTER PLACE, ITS JUST SO HARD TO LET GO, EVEN THO THIS IS TRUE. MY DAD DIED TWO YEARS AGO DECEMBER..VERY UNEXPECTED, HE HAD A MASSIVE HEART ATTACH, AND THEN THEY FOUND IN THE AUTOPSY, HE HAD LC..THE WAY I LOOKED AT IT, HE DIDNT HAVE TO SUFFER THRO ALL THE TREATMENTS ECT....AND THEN, 5 MONTHS LATER, I WAS DX W/ LC...LIFE IS FUNNY SOMETIMES...ABOUT THE TIME YOU THINK YOU HAVE IT FIGURED OUT, IT SHOWS YOU, YOU DONT...YOURE NOT EVEN CLOSE......OH WELL, IM GOING DAY BY DAY NOW, AND NOT TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT, JUST LIVING IT...

IVE LEARNED ALOT AND LOOK AT THINGS SO DIFFERENT SINCE I WAS DX...IVE LED A VERY FULL LIFE AT 47, I JUST WANT MORE TIME W/ MY BOYS, AND IVE GOTTEN THAT THIS PAST YEAR AND IM GRATEFUL......GOOD LUCK, BE STRONG, AND IM SORRY.....PUT THE BEST PICTURE YOU HAVE OF YOUR DAD OUT WHERE EVERYONE ESPECIALLY YOU, CAN SEE IT......IT HELPED ME ALOT, I CRIED AT FIRST, EVERY TIME I LOOKED AT IT, BUT AFTER A LITTLE WHILE IT REALLY DID HELP....I DID THE SAME WHEN MY GRANDPA DIED.....HANG IN THERE........MY PRAYERS ARE W/ YOU OK??????? RONNA

Nancy, my heart breaks for you to lose your dad, and lose him so quickly. We have learned on this journey that the cancer itself is just one of many monsters that play this scene -- staff infection, pneumonia, etc. lurk as well. Sometimes, I feel like we need to circle the wagons and fight off this multiheaded beast. Please know that you have much support here through your grief. Blessings. Don