we need to help Bean Si.

shelliemacs

Dear Katie,

I agree with Melinda that what was written by Ginny was not an attack on you or questioning of your honesty in any way. I, too think she was appealing to the members of this board. I know we have 1300 plus members and only a handful are posting but the others are surly reading. If we want to do something about lung cancer we all need to find a way to donate in some way. I certainly do not me monatary either I mean just like Elaine said there are just too many ways to help without people who do not have the money to be dipping into their already crying pockets.

I feel bad as Ginny is one of the biggest hearts of this board and is going through a terribly difficult time and she was misinterputed I am sure. Do you honestly Katie think Ginny questions your honesty?? I am sure not!! Please, please do not be insulted and take things at a personal level. Ginny, like the rest of us wants to help just wants to know the best way how. I am sure no one here needs a spead sheet of where any money goes. I also think we have all showed our love, affection and appreciation for this site over and over.

God Bless us all,

Jane

Shellie,

I will be happy to send a letter, however, I cannot help financially at this time. I recently sent a donation to the site, which was money I had offered to someone else on the board who needed financial help but would not accept it. Since I can't financially help everyone on the board, at least I can give some money to the site to help support everyone mentally.

Katie,

I agree with the others that no personal attack was intended by Ginny. I also have complete trust in you, Rick and the Board of Directors. If I didn't, I wouldn't have sent the money. I do think, however, that having a spreadsheet would be good for two reasons: 1. It makes good business sense. 2. It would give all 1300 members a reason to send in at least a small donation ($5, $10) every month or two, or a larger one if they can.

Making financial statements available to the public that supports an entity instills trust in that entity.

Elaine, That was very kind of you to offer to help. My time is very limited, but I am fast typist and if I can help with some typing, I would be glad to do that.

Love to all,

Peggy

I just think that Katieb is insulted because this is not the 1st time this exact thing has came up. I'll be honest, it doesnt make me feel like dancing either. All of it together, when the site is down we get hate mail and when the site is up we get questions about the monies that are received. You know, it just insults or hurts or something, cant really define the feeling, but its not good.

I will definitely quit rambling as this site is not about supporting us..

We love what we do, however, things like this make one question the effort. Dont get me wrong, we love everyone here and you are our family and friends!

I will put my 2 cents in...I have over 20 years financial and business experience. Not saying that makes me an expert. But, I have a wide variety of experiences and the scars to prove it.

When people are not made aware of the needs of an organization, they ASSume. I think it would help to have disclosure of expenses just so everyone is aware of the NEEDS. I don't mean every little detail--just the heavy hitters. This can be a good thing for the following reasons:

1. Right now most people on this board don't have any idea what it takes to run it. This would result in better understanding and likely more donations.

2. As others have said, we may be able to help in ways other than financially. Maybe we can solicite donations from large corporations--monetary and materials, computer time, etc. There are a lot of people willing to help if they understand the needs.

3. Maybe we need to see how other organizations handle things. This use to be called benchmarking. I have done several of these studies. It generates new ideas and thoughts on how to be more successful. This is only a suggestion/example. Perhaps this has already been done.

Hope this is taken in the spirit with which it is offered. Take care and God Bless!

i think that things have blown out of proportion. I am sure that no offense was intended. This post was started by a caring person trying to look out for another who, like so many of us, is going through a hard time right now.

I believe there are around 1300 members if each member donated $1 a month this site would take in $1300 dollars. The amount of support that i have recieved here is worth far more than that.

katie and rick you guys are doing great.

Shiva,

thats a fantastic idea about sending 1 dollar a month. that would help defer Katie and Ricks out of pocket expenses of covering the site and maybe some months there may be something left over and in these situations groceries or meds can be bought for some who are in desperate needs. Or maybe even a commercial some day advertising this site on one of the big channels like ABC, CBS or NBC.

Katie if thats feesable can we send these monthly dues to your snail mail address. i think some of us can do 5 or even 10 dollars a month as well.

gosh I love that idea.

I can start now, today, tell me where to mail my money too!!!!! :lol::lol:

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Great idea. Even I can afford one dollar a month - maybe even five. Think one a difference it would make even only half the people here sent one measly dollar a month.

But we need more - we need federal funds and I swear I am so dedicated to getting it, I ain't gonna stop until I can no longer breathe. And believe me, I am well known for getting action in Human Rights Activism.

Fay is so very right. We need to become a force to be recognized with, the same as AIDS patients.

And we can. And we will.

Cat

Sorry I'm late posting. Please count me in. Anyway I can help.

Since there are so many different license plates out, especially here in Florida, I wonder if there is one for "Support Cancer Research" or "Lung Cancer Research"? I bet so many people would be willing to purchase them and think about the money that could be raised each year!

....Just wondering.

Kim

Getting to this discussion late too. I want to help, but things are challenging here too. I had done lots of letter writing, advocacy things when things were going better. One concern I have is the fragmentation of the advocacy groups. For those familiar with the ADA (Americans with Disability Act), that landmark legislation was only accomplished when all the various groups started working together. If we can coordinate our efforts, we will be much more effective.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I've been a Human Rights Activist as long as I can remember. I can't begin to tell you how many different problems we helped resolved. I'm talking POWs in dictatorships that were being tortured and would never see the light of day again until one of my groups stepped in.

You're right, Joyce - there is strength in numbers and getting different groups together to form a coalition will really make us a force to reckon with. Getting together with groups like ALCASE to mount projects should help. And if they see we are working - we are forging ahead and getting legislators interested that should interest them in joining in.

So any ideas? Anybody? I'm more than willing to give time and energy. The problem is - even though I was formerly a writer - published all over the world, even in textbooks - I am now failing to put words together. I also make weird mistakes like writing "get" for "can" and can't see them when I edit!!!!

But if no one else has time to write the letters, I will. I will wait (maybe) until the end of the week and see which states are not going to be represented in our letter writing campaign. I will then write them.

BUT IT WON'T COUNT AS MUCH BECAUSE I'M NOT A CONSTITUTENT OF THOSE STATES. So please, consider writing your senators. Please. Almost every senator has an email. Copy and paste my poor little blurb in and send it off. Less than a minute. Come on people.

I slept a bit last night but mey puppy woke me at her usual 4 a.m. to be fed. I'm gonna try for a couple more hours sleep before I call my new oncologist back to see.

I have a strange feeling today is going to be a turning point.

Cat

Guest draiocht_bean_si

Kim, license plates - of course! Great idea! :D:D:D:D Florida - the state of five million different plates!!! Let's do it! Have any idea where we start?

Here's where to send donations - mail to address and through credit card. It's that button way at the top, just above Digitalink Satellite:

http://lchelp.com/community/donate.php

Oh yeah, last night they were insisting I go to ER and I refused so I might not be on board too much today.

Cat