Update from DaveGr

DaveGr

Hi everyone. I haven't been here for awhile and after hearing the bad news about David Arley, I thought that it is time to update you on what is happening with me.

As most of you know I have had a string of stable scans, every month from January through June. The string ended with the July Scan, as one of the tumors in the lower lobe of my right lung, has started growing. I am to be scanned next Tuesday, August 17, to determine the rate of growth. I will be discussing treatment options with Dr. Schiller, following the scan. The treatment options will be based upon the growth rate of the tumor. I have asked to go into another trial and I am sure that is the direction that Dr. Schiller will go with me.

Dr. Schiller is confident that we got this early and that I will respond to treatment. I will make an effort to keep all of you up to date as things transpire.

Hey Dave,

Sorry to hear your news isn't the greatest. I think about you often as you were among the first to post to me when I first joined after Hugh was diagnosed. I know you can continue to win this battle. Do you have any specific trials in mind?

Thanks everybody. As most of you know, and I don't know how many times I have stressed this, support is one of the most important tools in beating lung cancer. I have been on both sides of the support and may be on the side needing support again.

I also have some good news. I am starting a new lung cancer support group in Baraboo, WI, where I live. I have been working on this for about two months, through the local hospital administrator, whom I got to know through Kiwanis, as we are both members of the local club. We will start meeting in September. I will also continue with the Lung Cancer group at the University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center.

That is one other thing I like to suggest. Those of you with lung cancer, if you are not able to work, find something worthwhile to get involved in. Being active helps past the time, and being involved in other things, besides things relating to lung cancer, gives you the opportunity to maybe getting away from lung cancer for a while. Many times we get so involved with lung cancer, we don't live our lives as we should. :D:D

Dear Dave,

I'm keeping everything crossed that the trial will be exceptionally successful and that you'll nail the monster right at the beginning.

And how wonderful about your support group. You're so right about the need to get involved in something other than worrying about the next test, treatment or symptom. We have a cancer support group in our area but nothing specifically for lung cancer. I wonder how many other people are out around here with lung cancer and knowing nothing about this board or any other support mechanisms other than their oncologist. I'm going to speak to the oncologist about it -- perhaps they'd be willing to put up a poster with a blurb about the board, at least -- it'd be a start.

Ellen

David, It was wonderful to get your update, just wish it were better news. I am happy to hear that your doctor is discussing options.... Daddy had a similar scan in July just a "hairs" worth of growth, he began Iressa 4 days ago, so we are all keeping everything crossed!! I continue to pray for you as always... Sharon