I'm A New Member

Guest dougwilson

Guest dougwilson

Hi everyone, I'm a new member here. I am a survivor of Lung Cancer and a Malignant Brain Tumor at the same time. My inital diagnois was

fatal. After diagnosis, I was immediatley rushed to surgery to remove my Brain Tumor, which at that time was considered the biggest threat to my life.

I survived that, against all odds of recovery, I was even administerd my last right just before the surgery, Well to everbodies surprise (even mine) I was back on my feet the next day. My Doc's then began Radiation and Chemotherapy on me to kill any remaning Cancer in the Brain, After two or three months of that, they noticed my Cancerous Lung Tumor was rapidly shrinking. So they just monitored that for about a year, then suddenly it came back strong, Was rushed into surgery again, where they removed my upper lobe of my right lung which contained the Tumor., Then back on Chemotheray and Radiation to my chest. It all worked, much to everyones amazement ( including me ). I had already phycologicly prepared my self to die. After about 3 years all signs of Cancer were gone, After eight Years I was diagnosed as Cured, but still get annual checkups with my Oncologist. All I can say, is that I was blessed, plus the outstanding work of the Hillman Cancer Center here in Pittsburh, PA.

When I was first diagnosed I was earning in excess of $50,000 a year.

That fell to "0" overnight., I wasn't able to work anymore, and was placed on Social Security Disability.permanently, We lost lost our house over it all we were really in debt up to our Eyeballs. Medical Insurance paid for all the Medical bills fortunatley, but we couldn't even afford to keep food on the table. My dear Wife, never having to work in her life, found a job locally which paid quite well, that seriously helped a lot, But I felt like a total failure and I went into deep depression , which I am still taking mediacation for, Life eventually somewhat returned to as normal as could be.

To this day, I still can't figure out why I survived, I decided my Good Lord had other things for me to do. After awhile I was contacted by "ALCASE", who offered me lot's of support. I eventually became a "Phone Buddy" for ALCASE. I was verbally helping other Cancer Victims across our Great Country via Telephone.It got to the point I couldn't handel all the phone calls, so I set up a Private Website so we could alll share our experiences with each other in private . Each member had their own private sign-in name and password, to keep outsiders out. This was accomplished Free by the "My Family.com" Web site, After a few years they began to charge us for the service, which I wasn't financially abel support, thus the web site collapsed and we had nothing.

Fortunately One of our Members, "Eileen" found this site and passed it on to me.. I am impressed so far, but haven't as yet figured it all out yet, but I will eventually. I've been trying to email many of our previos members at our old site, to come to this site, but in the process I lost many e-mail adddress's of those members, but I keep on trying.

REMEMBER - A Diagnosis of Cancer does NOT always mean sure Death and Suffering, Get to the Best Cancer Center in your area and allow your Oncologist to take over from there. Technology is getting better everyday

in the WAR against Cancer. Even though you may be the Cancer Victim in your family, your family is effected just as you are.

Have A family member closely watch you for signs of Depression, you personaly most likely won't realize it Then let your Doctor know about it. They do have mediactions to help you with Depression. NEVER give up hope of a recovery, Take the attitude "I WILL BEAT THIS" , I know that may be hard to do, but try anyway, recogonize there are more people survivng Cancer in this Country than Die from it

I can be reached at;

Wa3znp@lycos.com

Doug Wilson

185 Orchard Avenue

Emsworth, PA 15202

(412) 761-1851[/u][/b]

Welcome Doug, if we could use a good inspirational story, it is now. We lost a few of our members in the last couple of weeks and they have hit us hard. It is so good to hear that even though you have been through a lot, that you have beat this beast back. We need to hear more from you and your friends, please keep us updated and please give us your insight into this battle and we will also be of support and info to you. You are a definite ray of hope here.

Welcome, Doug--

I am so glad you found this site. Many of us don't know what we would we do without it! It's like a "family" we've never technically "met".

I want to add my thanks for sharing your story, as well. Every time we hear about someone who has defied the odds of their diagnosis it gives us HOPE (which leads to positive thinking, greater determination to be a survivor, etc.).

I can't wait to share your story with my soon to be Mother-in-law.

Thank you again (and thank Eileen for sending you our way!).

Sincerely,

Melinda

Dear Doug,

Let me add my thanks to those of others -- it's so wonderful to hear of someone who's beaten those awful odds. As others have said, we've had a bad couple of weeks here, and usually the newcomers bring new sad stories with them (as did we all originally). Yours was a welcome change. And, yes, post it in "My Story" -- we need all the inspiration we can get.

I look forward to reading more about your experiences, as well as those of your friends who may also join us.

Ellen

Dear Doug,

That is an amazing story. Welcome to the "family". We all care a great deal for each other here and we all needed a good survivor story right now. I am interested in you cell type, stage, kind of chemo etc. You can post this in your profile.

Nina

Guest dougwilson

I AM TOTALY SURPRISED HOW MANY RESPONSES I HAVE RECEIVED SINCE I JOINED THIS SITE. I ADMIT, I WAS BLESSED. MANY LOCAL PEOPLE & FAMILY, REALLY HELPED ME EMOTIONALY. MY LORD BLESSED ME WITH TOTAL RECOVERY.

I AM CONVINCED I WAS SAVED SO THAT I MIGHT HELP OTHERS, SO THAT HAS BECOME MY MISSION.

I HAVE NO HIDDEN SECRETS. I WILL SHARE ANYTHING ABOUT MY ORDEAL,AND EXPERIENCE, BUT REMEMBER I'M NOT A DOCTOR !

I CAN'T SAY THIS LOUD ENOUGH:

"NEVER, NEVER, ACCEPT THE FACT YOUR GOING TO DIE, MAINTAIN THE ATTITUDE OF, YOU ARE GOING TO BEAT THIS DEMON "

Doug Wilson

wa3znp@lycos.com

Pittsburgh, Pa.

• 1 month later...

I am here because of the efforts of Eileen Katland. I used to host a site at www.myfamily .com very similiar to this one, and with the same mission, but my host got greedy and began charging for the site, which I couldn't afford to keep up at that time.

I'm in the process of learning all the Ins & Outs of this site, which I think is Fantastic !

I'm a Phone Buddy for ALCOSE, and will continue to do so.

In addition to my profile here: I am a Vietnam Vet, A former Private Pilot,

Been shot at,, Been the victim of two Auto Accidents, (1) military Helicopter crash., any given time my worn out body is Healing from something, minor Cuts and Bruise's, Sprains, Allergy's, and etc.

I keep telling my Wife, the minute the Medical Community announce's the ability to Transplant a New Body, I want to be first on the list, this body I have is High Mileage, and just Worn Out.

As soon as I figure out how to do this: I will upload a photo of myself. I've tried twice, but this siite tells me the photo is too large, I'm working on that !

We are all here to help each other and I like that..

Doug Wilson

wa3znp@lycos.com

Emsworth, PA 15202

(412) 761-1851

Doug,

So glad to have you on board! If you still can't figure out how to get your picture sized small enough, send it to me (no matter what size it is) attached to an e-mail document, and I'll resize it and send it back to you to use. Some photo software makes it hard to figure out how to resize things, but I've got it figured out!

Again, welcome!

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

jkstuart@bellsouth.net

Hi Doug, l missed your initial post somehow, welcome. Your path you have traveled is inspiring to all of us. As you know it is a big help when you are diagnosed to meet and talk with someone who has walked the walk, and is a survivor. Again welcome. Donna G