ANOTHER WORRYING UPDATE!!

Guest waiting_wondering

Guest waiting_wondering

Well as much as you all wished for darkness on my pet, it just wasn't meant to be. My adrenal gland lit up like a christmas tree. So the med onc suggests that the adrenal be removed allow for a couple of weeks to recover and then start gem/nav once every three weeks for 6 cycles. With this type of treatment however she is only giving me a 1 in 5 chance of survival. As I stated before I wasn't up to the chemo, but she's pretty insistant. Says the trials are last resort. If I do no chemo at all it is a GUARANTEE that the big "C" will come back somewhere else. Although its not in my lymph system, it's in my blood stream. So again what's a girl to do? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. I guess I need to stop using the Early Stage Forum too cause it don't look, talk, walk or smell like early stage no more. Any suggestions out there? Anyone had gem/nav? Med onc says its much less toxic, won't lose my hair, little to no nausea and I have the option to stop when I want. Anyone have any words of wisdom to help a gal when she's down!!

Take Care, Godspeed and Praying for all of you here,

Pat

Hi Pat,

I hate it when someone has to make this kind of decision, and I understand why you are feeling a little down today. Unfortunately, I don't feel that I can help with your decision because that is, of course, up to you. My husband's experience with the gemzar/navelbine was very good. He had just a little bit of nausea that was quickly controlled with compazine. He did have increased fatigue, but nothing like what he had with his first-line chemo. It was really a pretty easy chemo for him, and he continued to work full time every day.

Sorry I can't help you more with the "what's a girl to do?"

Let us know what you decide.

God bless you,

Peggy

I was really hoping for no lights at all and I'm sorry that didn't turn out to be the case. I had carbo/taxol chemo which I finished last week and I have to say it wasn't bad at all. I had much worse effects with the radiation. I didn't have the gemzar/navelbine so can't speak to that directly, but thought I'd at least say the chemo I DID have wasn't a terrible experience. Don't know if that helps with your decision but unfortunately that's one we all have to make individually, I guess. I will be adding my prayers to so many others on this site to give you strength and guidance as you make these choices.

Hi Pat,

You didn't mention if anything else lit up besides the adrenal gland.

Is everything ELSE clear?

If so, post surgical chemo is a good way to nail the micro cells in and around there somewhere, prevent them from turning up again.

Ultimately, it's your choice, which we will of course support.

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Guest waiting_wondering

Fortunately, nothing else lit up. Everything else is clean. Surgery is scheduled for 8/23 I am first case (good thing!!) They will do a frozen section at the time of surgery which will be able to tell them with a 75-80% of certainty if it is actually cancer. The actual path report will follow in three days. They say it could still be just an adenoma. But either way it has to come out. Micro surgery is out of the question because of the proximity to the superior vena cava. One good thing that has come of this, my surgeon says that someone was watching out for me because the CT scan that it originally showed up on was only supposed to be of the chest and the technician went down to the abdomen and the radiologist actually read the abdomen along with the chest which I'm told they're not really supposed to do!! So maybe God has got his hands in this after all. Hoping all of you had a good day today and will have a better one tomorrow. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take Care and Godspeed,

Pat

I had cisplatin/gemzar. It wasn't so bad....especially on the days I had gemzar alone. I had burning at the infusion site, but it went away as soon as the treatment was over, and the treatment only lasted half an hour for the gemzar. Just some mild nausea and feeling of not feeling really good. A small price to pay in my opinion, I'd do it again. But, everyone must make their own decision.......