CT scans show more cancer....

rlrose

Wayne's CT of his head showed no brain mets, which is some good news. But the CT of his chest shows that lung tumor has grown and now there are liver and adrenal mets, too. He already has quite a few bone mets in his joints causing him lots of pain.

We are so discouraged since he had 6 weeks of lung radiation and the cancer was progressing during that time. He has lost more weight in the last few weeks and says nothing tastes good anymore. Probably a result from the WBR. The onc. agrees that he is not a candidate for chemo.

He has an appointment with a naturopathic doctor next week to see if there is something else we might try. He has been taking supplements, eating no sugar, no processed foods, very little meat. Nothing seems to be slowing the cancer....

Roanna

Roanna,

Sorry Wayne is not doing well. Obviously I don't know the details and I'm not a medical professional, but it seems like chemo. would help him at least something with fewer side effects like Iressa. Know that I am praying for you both and for the doctor's to have wisdom. Take care.

Roanna,

Sorry to hear the news about Wayne, but glad no brain mets at least. My memory is a bit fuzzy, why is Wayne not a candidate for chemo? Steve had cancer in all those places, plus bone & brain mets and he has had chemo and is now on Iressa. Nothing wrong with getting 2nd, 3rd opinions not only from a different doctor, but also a different medical group (heard that sometimes docs within the same system are reluctant to contradict each other). Just seems like you're not getting many options.

Roanna,

I am terribly sorry that Wayne is not doing so well.

I tooo don't understand, why no chemo?

Has the doctor given up? If you want to try chemo,then find a doctor who will give you that option. It is Wayne's decision to stop treatment, not the doctor's.

Praying for you during this difficult time,

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

The onc said he can take Iressa but as a first line of defense, his insurance won't pay for it (and it's been appealed twice). The price here is $1860.00/mo. and it semms to work in only a small percentage of patients.

Wayne took Iressa for about 2 weeks when first dx and hated the way it make him feel but now that he's used to all the side effects from treatment, it probably wouldn't bother him as much. If he could just get the insurance to pay for it, he might try it again.

He also has severe sensitivity to prescription drugs which have sent him to the hospital several times in the last few months. He's reluctant to put those chemicals in his body when most of his life he didn't even have to take an aspirin. The onc said she couldn't give him the strong chemo to break the brain blood barrier but since mets are not showing in the brain CT, maybe the chemo wouldn't have to be that strong. Wayne has an appt with her next week.

But right now, he's in extreme pain from the bone mets and has side effects from the percocet. Does anyone know of an effective pain killer that has few side effects?

Roanna

Guest Phyllis

Hi, my onc did not want to give me chemo any more cause my blood counts and general condition was weak. However, he did give me the once a week chemo called Erbitux (sp) or C225. My onc says that there are no side effects but C225 is just like Iressa. I got the rash which they say is a good thing. I spend one day in bed after the chemo which is only a one hour IV. I am also having problems with a tumor (1.35) next to my spine. Because my cancer has become so aggressive, which I think is why not that many people survive head and neck cancer with Mets to the lungs. It hits a certain point and becomes aggressive. They do not want to do radiation on my spine. I am hoping that the C225 is working well and they may revise their opinion. I am getting Zometa once a month for that tumor and the Neurosurgeon did not rule out surgery if the tumor became life threatening. There are numerous chemo drugs available but boy do you have to push to get them. Good luck.

I guess Wayne is fortunate in that he only has one tumor in his right lung and he has no shortness of breath, weezing, etc. The bone mets are bothering him, not the actual tumor.

We will ask the onc about Ebitux. She also wants Wayne to start on Zometa once a month. I've heard good things about Zometa but does it help the bone pain at all?

Has anyone been treated at Cancer Treatment Centers of America? We are only 90 miles from the Tulsa center and I've heard good reports about their treatment. Maybe with the nutritional help they give, Wayne could torerate the chemo.

Roanna

Roanna

If your insurance will cover Cancer Treatment Center of America, I would try it out. From what I have r ead here and other places, you and your husband will be treated well--mind, body and soul (if you want). Pls check into it. Thinking of you both!

elaine

Dear Roanna,

I agree with Elaine when it comes to trying the CTCA in Tulsa. You have nothing to lose. I do want to add this though. We ALL like to think that Chemo is a cure for our cancer, but it can be deadly as well for some of us Cancer patients. So, they may have several reasons to why they don't want to give him the chemo, but if I were you, I would ask anyway as to the WHY NOT'S!! I'm also glad to hear he is going to be put on Zometa. I have heard from others that have tried it, say it has helped them in there pain with bone mets. I have also seen posts on the board about Aredia, and Temodar. I also have heard of another treatment called Alimta that is giving to late stage lung cancer patients.

Good luck to you and your hubby, and please keep us informed of how things are going. I'm so sorry things are not looking good for him at this time, but maybe once they have a plan, you'll find it to be more comforting.

God Bless and Good Luck,

Connie B.

Roanna,

Zometa really seems to be helping my husband, along with Iressa. We weren't told that it would help the actual bone pain, though. We were told that it strengthens the bones to make it difficult for the cancer to penetrate. He had to have radiation for his shoulder pain, but it was quite severe and had made a small hole in the bone. You mentioned that Wayne has quite a few bone mets in his joints causing a lot of pain. Have the doctors talked to you about using radiation for any of the most painful areas?

Let us know how you both are doing.

God bless you,

Peggy