Shordy's Dad's bad news...

Well, you guys, it doesn't look good for Daddy. I took him to his Oncologist appointment yesterday and it was horrible. I asked the doctor about Body Radiosurgery and he just let me have it...he told me that now Daddy has almost no good liver tissue left, that it's almost all cancerous. Then Daddy asked how much time he had left and the doctor said "Bill, your time's not measured in years, but months." Well, I was wishing to be immediately blinked to some far away desert, country, maybe in front of an oncoming tank, just anywhere but there. I was hoping that my Dad was alright and I was hoping that I would be able to hang in there til I got home, we had a 45 minute drive back to his house then I had an hour & 45 minute drive back home. It was terrible. I didn't know what to say and I wasn't even expecting him to ask something like that. I don't know what to do, I feel so helpless, his last hope would've been possibly the Radiosurgery, but now it seems that the stinking doctor has drug his feet and let it progress to the point where he can't get any help now. I'm so mad at that doctor. I'm just mad period. Well, I just wanted to update you all and I wish you all health & happiness and I thank you all for being here for me. Lots of Love, Shordy

I agree with KAtie. Just because one doctor can't help it doesnt mean that there is no other way to help your dad. Try anything, try new alternative treatments, Iressa, clinical trials. Your dad is not on oxygen, if he is walking thats good. There is hope!!!! Hugs and good luck to you!

Shordy,

Katie's post says it all, I can't add anything more except my sorrow for you and your Dad. I pray every night for everyone here and my husband and I. I pray for a cure for this nastiness, I pray for a way to make it chronic and controllable. Someone has to be listening to all of us don't they?

Shordy,

I felt like I was watching my life when I read your post. It was like an old re-run from some sick television show. The one BIG difference is .... Your dad still has a fighting chance. Hang in there..... miracles do happen, this could be one of them!!!! I mean that with every once of my soul. It can happen :!::!:

Sending hugs, prayers and hope.

Renee

Dear Shordy,

I don't know what is going to happen to your father, I am hoping and praying for good things. What I do know is that no matter what happens there are so many people on this board who will be here for you who understand and will support you and I know that makes a difference. For all of us who are living through this we can make a differnece in someone's life and make things just that much better and know that our loved ones are not alone. Imagine some people go through stuff like this alone.

Okay, now in between crying I'm going to try & write this. I've been in contact with a doctor that does Body Radiosurgery and he was willing to look at Daddy's reports. He just let me know that all of Daddy's liver is cancerous. And to do the Radiosurgery you have to have at least some good tissue. I don't know what to do, I'm now left with the job of telling my Dad & Stepmom that their last glimmer of hope is gone, I just can't do that but I have to. I also feel like my Dad's nasty big creep of an Oncologist signed his death sentence when he didn't get him in for this treatment whenever he had only the one spot on his liver. Big Creep! If/when something happens to Daddy there's no one that will be able to stop me from writing him the biggest ear burning letter he'll ever read in his lifetime, hopefully being right under the guidelines of something that might send me to prison! Well, any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks to you all, Shordy

Well, I'm not doing much lately other than trying to find something to help Daddy & then I sleep, I've never slept so much in my whole life. This big creep of a doctor knew that there were other options out there to help Daddy instead of letting his liver get so cancerous when it wouldn't be able to be helped at all. I'm SO mad still and still not able to figure out how to take Daddy's last hope away. My Husband is SO sweet, he was trying to cheer me up & bought me a new 'Vette, I already have one but he thought this newer one might help, how sweet of him, he's such a wonderful man and I don't know what I'd do without his support. I know he wishes he could take this from me and I wish I would've found all these other options for my Dad before I did. Well, at the one point Daddy wouldn't allow me to ask questions so that did put a bit of a halt on that. Well, gonna go back to sleep again, I've looked & slept all day, still trying to find the "magic bullet." Love to you all and thanks so much to everyone and take care, Love, Shordy

Shordy, We have a friend with liver cancer (mets from colon cancer). he was given 3 months to live due to the liver being in such bad shape. He went for a 2nd opinion at the University of Michigan hospital and they did a procedure where they put a port in that sends chemo via a pump directly to the liver. He now has 2years+ and doesn't feel too bad from the chemo. Is this an option?

Shordy,

Don't give up. He is still alive. I am praying something occurs to show you which route to take or which Doctor to call. My Dad's oncologist (his first one stunk!!) told him there is no such thing as "the amount of time someone has left" She told him there is prayer, medicine, individual spirit and an individual's will to fight cancer. (I could have hugged her for her answer to him...what a jewel!!!) She told him when her patients take their last breath it is only then she knows there is no more hope. Even though his CAT scan news wasn't what we had hoped we know he has a partners in this battle...his family and his doctor...I will pray for your Father and for you..it is hard but fight on in this battle...you are not alone..we are all in this one together!!!