Asking for prayers

donaf

My brother has been feeling very depressed. A few months back he wanted to do some work to his house. New windows were installed, his screened back porch was turned to a new room, house was painted. All through the remodeling he sat nearby watching the workers and making sure they did a good quality job. Towards the end of the project he seemed to be getting more and more anxious for the workers to complete the job. Now that it is done he is very depressed and has mentioned that he wanted to see the work completed because he did not want to know that his wife and their kids would have to deal with home repairs for a while. He no longer shows the fighting spirit he had and just seems very tired. His wife seems very tired as well and we are all so scared. We feel that while his home project was going on he was fighting so hard to be able to get up and watch the workers and he even ventured out to pick out tile one day. Now, Physically, he does not look well he is weak. His last scans showed that the cancer has spread so the last few months of chemo did not help. They are trying a new chemo and if that fails they are talking about Iressa. He is being referred to USC (university of Southern California) to see another Onc there, his appointment is this Friday. Please include my brother Rod in your prayers.

Thank you.

D

The battle against this beast is a horrific battle and one can easily feel like giving up.But with a new battle plan and a few word's of hope from the university ONC your brother along with his wife will feel a renewed spirit.My prayers like many other's are with you guy's......

Larry

Prayers for your brother and all of the family. I am so glad that he is going to USC...a friend of mine is a contributor to the cancer center there and is always giving me their newletters. It is a fine and impressive medical facility and that is a big part of the overall picture.

Blessings,

Margaret

I know how he feels. I start a project like organizing pics, closets, legal papers etc. I do this so the family won't have to do this after I am gone :roll:

I am now on an anti-depressant celexa and it has helped. I still have to have projects to keep me busy, church act, a benevolence agency I work with weekly. Maybe there is something he can do. I write lots of cards to the ones who are ill in our church-etc. Is he a member of a VFW, Moose, Elks club?? They always need people to help with vol. projects.

I will pray for him and your family. He needs to feel needed.

Love Cindy

I am sure he is trying to make sure things are in order. Cindy is right, maybe there is something else he can do now that the house is in order. Those of us who worked and enjoyed our work, find it hard not to be doing something useful and productive. (I know I do).

I will keep him in my thoughts.

elaine

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and especially for your prayers. My brother did have a better day yesterday. He is on anti depressants and I know he has tried different ones. His wife feels they are not helping though. He called me last night and was able to talk for a while. He has a cough that sometimes prevents him from talking it gets so bad it makes him weak and he has to lay down because he gets dizzy - but now that he is back on oxygen it has gotten a little better.

Thanks Margaret for the info on USC. We had heard a lot about UCLA not a whole lot about USC.

Thank you all once again and please know that I have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Regards,

D

I am so sorry, my husband went thru the same things he is going thru. All I can say is that you need to be real with him, if he feels he is dying and if everyone can just let him know how much they love him and acknowledge that, it is so much easier for them ( and him). He will know its ok and that hefought a hard and long battle, but its time to surrender to God and trust in him to keep is promise that he will always be with him. My husband was scared to let go. I told him about 36 hours before he died that if he wanted to go to just go towards the light, and you know what happened? He opened his eyes and looked straight up for about 5 seconds and then closed his eyes again. I know he saw heaven waiting for him, he just didn't want to leave. So I had to reasure him it was ok to go. That was the last time he opened his eyes. So he finally just let go and let God. Peace be with your family.

Tess

Prayers going up. I see that it has only been a year since all this started. On TV yesterday they were saying that post traumatic stress in the people coping with hurricane Charlie could last even 2 yrs. I venture to say that post being told you have lung cancer lasts at least 2 yrs. Emotionally it is very draining. Most of us need antidepressents, and a good support group to "talk it out" is a big help. Keep us posted. Donna G

D,

I'm sorry to hear this and will definitely keep your brother Rod in my prayers. I want to also echo that USC's cancer center is excellent, really one of the best in the country. I know many people who have been treated there, successfully and with a great amount of care for the patient as a person, not just as an illness to treat. I hope your brother has this experience as well, and that the doctor can give your brother and all of you some new hope on Friday.

BeckyCW