Hi there from Gresham, OR.

mike_s

Hi,

My name is Michael Smith, and I was diagnosed with Stage 3A NSCLC, with some mediasteinal lymph node involvement in mid-January this year.

I had a bronchoscopy that discovered a 3cmx4cm tumor in my left bronchial tube. The tumor was inoperable due to its location near the carina. The restriction in my breathing led to a large abscess in my right lung. A week in the hospital on 24x7 IV antibiotics, and a drain in my lung got rid of the abscess, and they then started treating the cancer.

I was given six weeks of daily radiation and daily chemo with Cisplatin/Etopocide. After that treatment was complete I had another bronchoscopy and CT scan that showed NED. They even wiped the tumor location with PAP smears and could find no trace of cancer. After that my oncologist gave me 9 weeks of "consolidation" chemo with Taxotere one day every three weeks, "just in case.".

I had another CT scan in May, it came up NED also.

I just completed another CT scan and bronchoscopy August 9, and it came up NED again.

After reading some of the stories here, I feel very, very fortunate. Even if it comes back, I think my doctors have bought me enough time to get my 17 year-old raised up and on her own, and for that I am very grateful.

mds

Welcome Mike to the group NO ONE wants to belong too! But, I'm sure glad we are here for one and other. Sounds like your doing just fine!!! Well, I'm a 9 year Stage IIIA-B and I see NO REASON you can't be either.

Glad to have you aboard. Best wishes and keep up the NED!!!! I think you'll be around not only to raise your 17 year old, but also to pay for college, weddings, etc !!! :wink::P Oh yes, the JOYS OF LIFE! After what we've been through looking at college costs and weddings IS a BLESSING and THE JOY OF LIFE! :wink::wink:

To all who responded, thank you very much. It is very nice to see that kind of support.

teresag - Luck with the PhD. My oncologist is Dr. Helen Ross, of the Oregon Clinic, and I am being treated at Providence Hospital., on 47th and Glisan. I hope to never see you there. :wink:

ConnieB - Hearing your story makes me feel a whole lot more positive. The docs weren't exactly encouraging when I was diagnosed, and seeing someone with about the same stage make it for 9 years is wonderful!

Best Regards to all,

mds

Hey Mike,

Glad I am able to offer you some hope and postive vibes. There are a LOT of us long term survivors out here, so I see NO reason you won't become of us the MANY!!!

Sorry to hear your Doc's weren't encouraging. I can tell you that my Doc's were VERY positive and encouraging during my journey. Even though in the back of there medical little minds they really weren't too sure, they never let me feel like it was a death sentence. GOD BLESS 'EM!! They always told me I was going to be FINE! But, I will share with you that I do know many long term survivors with late stage lung cancer, and they are ALL doing very well!

I hope you continue to stay with us here at LCSC. And I LOVE the PICTURE! She's a DOLL! Your pretty nice looking too!!! :wink:

Oh to be 17 again !!!!!

Best wishes,

Connie B.

Hey Mike,

>Glad I am able to offer you some hope and postive vibes. There are a >LOT of us long term survivors out here, so I see NO reason you won't >become of us the MANY!!!

Yeah. I asked my oncologist when i could start being "cautiously optimistic" about being a long-term survivor. Her response was "Right Now!".

>Sorry to hear your Doc's weren't encouraging.

They were not encouraging when I first got to the hospital, and was diagnosed. Since I had all of the different scans, and came up clean, they have been very encouraging. I think that they did not want to give me false hope before they had properly staged the disease. Once they did the MRI/PEP Scan/Bone Scan and found that as far as they could tell there were no mets, the attitude changed rather markedly

>I hope you continue to stay with us here at LCSC. And I LOVE the >PICTURE! She's a DOLL!

Yes, she is. She is also causing me about 10x the grief her elder sister did. Her elder sister is an academic overachiever, and didn't have time for boys in high school. Jo seems to think that it is her job to make up for her sisters shortcomings.

>Your pretty nice looking too!!! :wink:

Well thank you. I thought the same about you when I saw your pic. :wink:

>Oh to be 17 again !!!!!

Not unless I get to take what I know now with me. Youth is wasted on the young.

Regards,

mds

Hi Mike, so happy to hear that you have met NED , he is a great friend to have around. We can all appreciate that. I had VP16 and Cistplatin, with radiation, then surgery. After surgery I asked about the tumor and the doctor said all that was left was scar tissue, Scar tissue only is good too. Please keep us posted. Donna G

Thanks for the good wishes on the PhD, Mike. I'm actually graduated wiht the PhD already, but until the final copy is shelved in the library, I'm not saying i'ts finished. Still a little work to do before I can put it behind me. Helen Ross and Providence are great. Let's hope you and Helen can keep NED around indefinitely. - Teresa

Hi,

Your story is very encouraging. Thank you for sharing it. My husband was recently diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV. It is also considered inoperable and is crushing his right bronchial tube. He began chemotherapy Monday.

Now I have more hope than before. God bless you and your family. May you have many years to be with them

Regards,

Amanda

>Your story is very encouraging. Thank you for sharing it. My husband was >recently diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV. It is also considered inoperable >and is crushing his right bronchial tube.

Sorry we had to meet this way.

> He began chemotherapy Monday.

I sincerely hope he has the kind of response I did. Are they going to do any radiation?

>Now I have more hope than before. God bless you and your family. May >you have many years to be with them

If anything I said encouraged you, I am really happy. I wish you and your husband luck. If you need support, there are an awful lot of people here who know exactly what you are going through, and can help.

Regards,

mds

Hi Mike and WELCOME!!

Sorry I'm so late with my welcome. Your story is so encouraging to so many people, and we really, really appreciate you joining this family and sharing your good news. We will be anxious to hear more from you.

Beautiful picture and beautiful daughter!

God bless you,

Peggy