CHEMO SIDE EFFECT?

berisa

My dad these few days behave quite strange, he makes himself very busy with the housework maintainence and fix-up. Never let himself stop for getting a rest. In addition, he always forgets what he just did such as forget the keys, repeating the statement. Moreover, he thinks very differently, he wants to change the keylock as he is afraid that our neighbour will get into our house. He seems like to have an illusion. What should I do? Is it the side effect of CHEMO? He is getting VP16 & Cisplatin. I found some info from web that one of the possible side effect is Confusion. Is it regarded as the side effect?

I took those same drugs. If he has been nauseated etc he may have electrolyte imbalance , my doctor always did lab work every few weeks. It also may just be stress. He may just be using all that "busy" work to keep his mind busy rather than have to deal with the big C all the time. Having lung cancer is very stressful, does anyone out there agree with this? For me those first few months were so stressful. Was I going to die soon, see another Christmas?, was it going to spread?, dealing with all these new procedures, also it was a full time job. Every day I had to be somewhere doing something, lots of tests, lots of doctor appointments. It was exausting. No wonder under these presures we forget a few "minor things" . It is best to rule out the worst but it might end up just stress. :roll:

Stress, what stress, Donna?? Surely not us!! If my hair had not fallen out, I would have probably pulled it out by now anyway.

Seriously, I would have lab work checked, low/high sodium can cause confusion, as well as dehydration. Those are the first things that come to mind. Good luck, and God bless.

Berisa, the confusion could be the chemo and it also could be from any medication he might be taking for pain. His busy-ness is his way of coping with the cancer. He works at what he can control and manage since he can't control and manage the cancer. People react different way to having cancer. It is an out-of-control feeling. Best to you and your dad. Don

could be all of the above total.

my mom asked me today what year it was and did I know what was wrong with her. I told her she had cancer and has had it since february. She said "hmmm how did I catch that"

i think she has chemo brain now cause she had full head rad and onc. said after rad. chemo can get into the brain (good/bad)