Dad's starting Preventive Chemo

jamie

Hi all-

Finally-after weeks of nothing new, I have some news to report!

My dad finally got the ok, (almost 2 months after surgery) to go ahead and start with the preventive chemo. He had some complications from surgery, basicly some trapped air and fluid that turned into this big painful balloon on his back. That has tamed itself down and now he is recovered enough to get back on the chemo wagon :? .

His oncologist told him that this chemo is full force, not the easy stuff he had last time (wish I knew the names of either). He said that his hair will probably fall out this time, and he will probably get sick-really sick. Last time my dad had chemo it didnt bother him at all. He says he had the "watered down version".

They are also going to give him steroids the day before and after chemo to keep him healthy. Has anyone else had this?

Thats pretty much it. Chemo once every 3 weeks, 4 rounds of it. Just thought ya'll might be interested in what was going on over here!

Jamie

Jamie,

Glad to hear that your dad is moving on with his treatment and starting the preventative chemo. Keep in mind that chemo affects everyone differently. What may make some very sick, others have been able to breeze through and actually work during treatment. (Not so for me!)

Anyway, if you find out the name of the chemo, we could probably give you better information.

Best of luck to your dad, and glad to hear the good news.....

TAnn

Jamie,

My mom did better on chemo than Iressa, so hopefully your dad will feel ok too :)

Just a question, did they mention Iressa to your dad? I like that they are doing extra chemo on your dad, I wish they would do that on my mom too.

This sounds like the same regimen I was on for consolidation chemo.

I was given Taxotere every three weeks for nine weeks. I had to take a fairly stiff dose of Dexometh(a steroid) the day before, the day of, and the day after chemo. I was also given Lorazepam for insomnia. The steroids kept me from sleeping, and made me very snappish.

I was told that Taxotere tends to make blood and fluid pool in the chest, and that the steroids should prevent that.

Hope this helps,

mds

Hi, Jaime,

I bet your Dad is very happy that he air/fluid mass is gone. I had one in my neck after last year's pneumonectomy.

Try to find out the names of the chemo drug(s) your Dad will be given. We're all different in how we handle these medications, but some of them have common side effects. Taxotere is known for causing problems with the finger and toe nails. If we know which drug he is dealing with we might know of a way to better handle the side effects.

Oh, and tell him to be certain to take the anti-nausea meds/sleep meds as they are prescribed. It's much easier to keep the symptoms suppressed by pre sympton, early intervention than it is to bring them under control once they start.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Thanks everyone who replied. Im going to tell my dad to get the name of his chemo when he goes for chemo tommorow. Im wondering about all the side effects that the onc. said he would get now.

The dr. mentioned a delayed sickness with this chemo. Meaning he wont get sick the day of or the day after like the other chemo... it may be a few days later, anyone know anything about that? I know everyone responds differently...

Jamie

Jamie -

Sounds like the same treatment I am getting ready to start. You take 5 steriods the day before and 5 the day of chemo. I was perscribed Dexamethasone. From past experience the steriod and the benadryl that are given make me sick as a dog!

Good luck! I start mine next week!