New symptom....input please

Angie Daughter of Bill

Hello gang! Well, I am back from my "board break" and ready to go again. I need your input on a new symptom that Dad has. He woke up this morning complaining that his hands were "cramping and drawing up". (his words) His hands are not drawn up all the time.........they don't stay that way......it has been coming and going all day. Has anyone had an experience like this?? You guys know me, I am thinking the worst. (maybe his new lung tumor is pressing on something that is causing it.......maybe the cancer in the spine has gotten worse and is causing it) I will talk to the doctor about it. We see him next week. If it continues or becomes bothersome, I will certainly call before then.

Thanks in advance! By the way, it's good to be back!

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Hi Angie,

Sounds like what John (neuropathy from the chemo) mentioned. I get it off and on but is very mild. More like a numbness & tingling feeling. But might want to call the doctor just to be on the safe side and for peace of mind. Here is a couple of links addressing side effects from chemo. Hope this helps. Peace, take care and God Bless.

Rich

http://www.chemocare.com/managing/fulls ... itype=1875 (Numbness & Tingling)

http://www.chemocare.com/managing/home.sps?itype=2101 (Chemotherapy Side Effects)

FWIW, I went through a couple periods of similar symptoms during my treatments last summer. I had pretty severe cramping and the "drawing up" he's experiencing. I'll go back and see if there was a specific diagnosis or remedy. As I recall, it was just a reaction to everything else that was going on. I don't remember taking any meds for it. I do remember that it was fairly painful.

By Golly, I found it. Last July my Sodium counts were very low. My radiation doc put me on restricted liquids as a seizure precaution. I became very dehydrated and once I got back on unlimited liquids the problem more or less went away. I had a couple short recurrences, but, nothing major after that.

Many.years.ago.(long.before.cancer)I.had.similar.contractions.in.the.hand.mostly.when.my.blood.pressure.was.taken.

Turns.out.it.was.a.potassium.deficiency.then!....Maybe.something.to.check.into?

But.with.cancer.I,too,would.be.inclined.to.suspect.neuropathy.

I.get.the.tingling.often....and.still.find.my.fingers.will.contract.when.blood.pressure.is.taken.

Sorry.for.how.this.looks....got.keyboard.troubles. :roll:

I posted this info to your other post but wanted to make sure you saw it. Dennis had a really bad episode with his hands cramping and drawing. It was very painful for him. We're on Florida's east coast but were having treatment at MD Anderson in Orlando. Naturally, this happened in the evening, after office hours. We had a wonderful oncologist that called me back at home right away and had me take Dennis to our local ER to receive lots of fluid via IV. Apparently, he was somewhat dehydrated and his electrolyes and minerals were way down. AFter the fluid, he was fine. After that, Dennis was a real believer in pumping fluids down. He seemed to always have a bottle of Gatorade in hand!!! Hope your Dad's problem is something as simple as this!!!

I never had any trouble with my hands Angie. Before I was dx I did have severe cramps (charliehorse) in both my legs and feet. It really hurt when I'd wake at night and have them in both legs. dr told me it was where I stood on my feet all day. However once I had my chemo/radiation they never bothered me anymore. Sorry I could not be more help.