Well shoot!!!!!!!!!!!

Angie Daughter of Bill

I TOTALLY understand the expression that having lung cancer is like a rollercoaster ride...........and I want off the ride! O.K.........just two days ago I posted about Dad's hands cramping and drawing. Thanks to you all who responded, I wasn't too worried. I did call Dad's doctor who also agreed that it is probably effects from the chemo. (his last treatment was about 2 1/2 months ago) Well, yesterday and this morning Dad has had REALLY BAD pain in his right shoulder. He is hurting "where the shoulder connects and around the back to his shoulder blade". (his words) Since diagnosis, Dad has had very little pain. He had some bone and joint pain from the chemo and Zometa, but that's it. He took maybe 5 Lortab during all 6 rounds of chemo. Well, since yesterday morning he has had 8 Lortabs because of this shoulder pain. (and it's not really helping him) I will be calling first thing this morning and demanding, or should I say politely requesting, a CT of his right shoulder. This has me really scared. Please, remember my Dad, Bill, in your prayers. I have noticed that he has not been up to himself for the last couple of weeks.

One other thing..........Dad has been on Iressa for one month now. I picked up his Rx yesterday and was reading all of the precautions and side effects, etc. I noticed that you should not take any type of antacid while taking Iressa. The sheet said that it would not allow the Iressa to be fully absorbed. Well, that's great! Dad takes Protonix!! Why would someone not catch that he is taking Protonix? The doctor? The pharmacist? I did ask the pharmacist about the Protonix......he said to call the doctor. Dad should not be taking it. POOP!!! So now for the past month, I don't know if he's had enough of the Iressa in his system to work. Plus, he had to be off of the Iressa for a little over a week due to side effects. Not good!

So for all the rambling. It seems that there is a lot going on with Dad right now and I just needed to vent! (Guess I'm scared :cry: ) Love to all!!

Angie

Angie

I hope that your Dad's shoulder pain turns out to be unrelated to the cancer, and I hope that his practitioners can get their act together and make sure that his medications are not contraindicated with one another!! Like you don't have enough to deal with!

Karen

Vent away, it will do you good. I don't have any answers for you except press the Doctors for the scan. We need to be our own advocates and unfortunately watch dogs on meds. I too wish I could get off this rollercoaster but with God's help we can and do endure it. My prayer is for the shoulder pain to be something unrelated to the cancer.

Angie,

Not sure if Lortab is an anti-inflammatory or not, I take Vioxx for my shoulder pain (left shoulder, opposite side of cancer/surgery). It's a deep joint pain and can leave me gasping for breath if it's 'acting up' when I try to push myself up off the bed in the morning. Your dad could have arthritis, he could have joint pain due to medication and/or chemo... Get the CT for your peace of mind, but don't PANIC, girl! Geesh...could all be normal, don't waste a perfectly good panic attack until you need to, you have kids that will grow up and you'll be using that panic/anxiety then - stop using it now! :wink:

ANYHOW, my point was that: yes, it CAN be "nothing"...

Becky

I hope you get this all figured out so that Dad's pain is alleviated....but I wanted to also say this about his taking Protonix with the Iressa: Sometimes, despite such warnings or contra-indications on drugs...it's a matter of risk vs. benefit!

I have a kidney condition...and a couple of the meds I take are contra-indicated for people with kidney problems. I always check with my doctor when I'm prescribed a new med (to make SURE!) - but the simple fact is that the pharmaceutical companies put EVERY possible warning on those drug inserts...just to cover their butts. And sometimes the benefits of a med far outweigh any possible negative interactions with another drug.

It's good to always be aware and alert...and to QUESTION the doctors on possible drug interactions....but before you panic over it...just know that those warnings cover even the most REMOTE possibilities. Your dad's doctor might feel there is little risk of absorption problems with the Protonix....so ASK him....but don't stew about it until you have his input, ok?

I know this is all difficult when you're worried...but try to take a deep breath and relax until you see what the doctor has to say...ok?

Angie, prayers for your dad. One thing Lucie and I do is we have all our medical history and list of medications, supplements, etc. on computer and whenever we do a doctor visit, we bring an updated list with us. That way, every doc sees what she is taking totally. Best to you. Don

Thank you all! I have already talked to the doctor this morning. Dad is going to stop taking the Protonix and see how his stomach does. If he has tummy troubles, then he will just have to take the Protonix. He has an appointment scheduled for August 31st. We will be getting a scan of his right shoulder at the same time to see what is going on. (If it gets worse before then, we will be going for a scan sooner)

Love to all~~

Angie

P.S. Don......I ALWAYS take a printout of Dad's medications. I keep one in my purse at all times and update the doctor every time we go. That's what burned me about the Protonix. I declare, it's almost as if you have to doctor yourself these days. :?

Best of luck to you on the scans. I hope it is something else besides the cancer. Like Becky said, don't panic yet. My oncologist never looks at my medicine list. His nurses always get an updated list before I see him but I have never seen him look at it. When I ask about certain things reacting with others he always has to take a moment to remind himself of what I am taking...(long list). So, I depend on my family doctor to keep up with all of it. He went to pharmacy school before medical school and is very good with meds. I take everything to him...from any one. I want one doctor to know and have all of my records. If I get an xray I make sure he has a copy...not just the report..but a copy of the xray. It makes me feel like someone is keeping up with me that knows all of my medical history.

Nina