On oxygen?

niececola

Hi,

My mom has been on O2 now for almost two months. I know that it is not likely she will come off of it, but was just wondering what others here have experienced with O2? Has anyone ever come off of it? Do you use it all the time? What level? Does anyone take Morphine to help with their breathing? Any suggestions on how to help improve my mom's breathing, if that is possible b/c of the limitations imposed by the cancer?

Thanks!

Denise

Hi Denise,

My Dad was started on O2 a while back. He had a really bad bout of bronchitis that we couldn't get to go away. His O2 sats were in the 80's. We finally got him over the bronchitis and now he only uses the O2 at night. I don't know the situation with your Mom, but I can tell when Dad has used his O2 and when he has not. When he uses it, he seems to have more energy and is a little more "clear". A very wise man convinced me that there are worse things in the world than being on O2. (thanks Dean Carl :wink: ) (I had a really hard time when Dad was put on O2)

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions..........well, does your Mom use any type of inhaler? Dad uses a Combivent inhaler which does seem to help with his breathing............o.k. other than that, I have no suggestions. Please know that I will be thinking about you and your dear Mom.

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Denise,I have been on O2 since Jan 04.I use it all nite when sleeping and during the day when active.(most of the time).I am hoping to get were I don't need it but?????.I'm fortunate that I have a portable tank (helios) &can fill it off the main tank.It gives me the ability to go places.It usually lasts anywhere from 5 to 7 hours,depends.It straps on your waist or hangs from shoulder,a real nuisance but beats the alternative.This has been a result of chemo & rad.Am hoping my blood oxygen will repair or improve itself to where I don't need it.Don't know if thats possible or not.

Denise,

My dad was on pretty high levels of O2 for years (4 liters at home and later 8 to 10 liters on a ventilator), but it was for COPD and not lung cancer. I just wanted to let you know that we were told that morphine adversely affects breathing. My dad still had to have the morphine, of course, toward the end of his life, but there was no choice then. I don't think the adverse effect is anything of any great magnitude, but you might check into it.

Peggy

I am on 02 on a PRN (as needed) basis. When I'm just stitting watching TV or something I don't need it, but I do need it when doing anything active at all. I also find that if I know I'm going to be doing anything active (getting dressed, cooking, etc.) it helps to go on the 02 about 20 minutes or so before that activity.

I also use a small dose of morphine (again, as needed) to help with breathing when I need it. And it really does help.

Dean

My Mom is another one-lunger and she only uses oxygen at night (for sleep apnea) but I WISH she could have it regularly - her sats are too high so medicare won't cover, but she is sooo short of breath even walking short distances. Her oncologist has tried and tried to walk her so her sats would drop but it never happens. Best of luck to you!

Much Love,

Amy

Johnny was on oxygen but as his turmor shrunk he started weaning himself off of it. He often told me that he felt like it was drowning him. I assume that is because he no longer needed it as much. He was on one drug for three months. I will always believe taking him off of it added to his anxiety because that drug helped him breathe easier. The name of the drug is Theodour or Theophelyn(SP) it is often used as a long term treatment for asthma. It really helped Johnny but like Albuteral it does make a person very shaky. The alternative is far worse(shortness of breath and the anxiety that goes with it).

I hope this helped some. Please keep us posted. Lillian