My biopsy report, wierd news.

Sam'swifeShirley

Well leave it to me to be different. I got the path report today on my solitary PET hot right supraclavicular node that I had biopsied on Tuesday. It is NOT a recurrent SCLC. It's a large cell cancer. I didn't have large cell cancer before, but this is not as bad a prognosis as recurrent SCLC actually, at least according to Dr. Khanwani, my oncologist's young associate who was standing in today while Dr. Carr is on vacation. I like this guy a lot (see the link below.) As much as I like Dr. Carr I may try to make Dr. K the captain of my team, no I'm the captain, he can be first mate. This could be touchy but he's young, well trained, aggressive and a no-holds-barred sort of guy. He's also new in town and not nearly as busy so he doesn't mind sitting and talking.

Dr. K had already decided to go against common thought, theory and practice and to go for excision of the node when we thought it was SCLC. He says now it's an even better idea. He thinks that either my original tumor was a mixed cell type but wasn't recognized as such at the time, or that I have or hopefully "had" a second primary that wasn't recognized but is now gone. Either way, we have a decent chance of getting rid of this thing yet. I've got an appointment with my original thoracic surgeon, Dr Miller, on Monday afternoon. Wish it was tomorrow but this will have to do.

God works in mysterious wonderful ways, God bless us all.

http://www.gacancer.com/about_gcs/our_team/physicians/khanwani/index.html

Sam,

Well, it wasn't the best news, but it wasn't the worst news either. You bet you have a decent chance of beating this thing! !!! You have a direction to head now, and that has to feel good. You are in my prayers, as always.

Guest DaveG

Sam:

I beat NSCLC once and actually twice. Now I have a recurrence at a higher stage and I'm going to beat that too. You have the fortitude and attitude to do the same. You're as cantankerous as I am, when it comes to lung cancer - KICK *ss AND ASK QUESTIONS LATER :D:D:D8)8)8)

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Sam - You would have to have a combo wouldn't you??

Seriously though - my esteemed friend - it takes a doc to beat this doesn't it - so you can advise the rest of us????

May God put his loving arms around you now and give you the strength you need to FIGHT!

Blessings to you,

Peg

Sam

I never thought I'd be sending you a congratulatory note for getting cancer but here it is No, it isn't the best news but it sure beats the devil out of the original idea. And, you bet, our God does work in his mysterious ways.

Keep us tuned on your events - I'll be thinking and praying for you.

Sue M

My father thinks he holds the title of being different when it comes to cancer, because he's already had two bouts of lymphoma and then then two years later has lung cancer. Thats great you were so comfortable with the oncologist that discussed this with you.

Sam,

It can pretty disconcerting to be given different pathology on different nodules/lesions/nodes. New primaries have a better prognosis than recurrent disease, so I hope you'll understand where I'm coming from when I congratulate you on your "good news". Dealing with the cancer and all that has happened during the past 4 years has been much easier for me since I started looking at it with "lesser of the evils" eyes. Wishing you all the strength you need, and the very best possible outcome from what ever treatment you decide upon. I wish the node had been benign, but now I just wish it gone with no more to be found... ever....Fay A.

Perhaps now that you practiced and did such a good job whipping the small cell you can do a super job whipping this large cell!!!! :D:D

Sounds like you can get that "clean" scan yet. Go for it. You continue to be in my prayers. Donna