My dad was diagnosed with NSCLC.

DJR

I have been reading alot here the past couple of weeks and finally decided to post. My dad was diagnosed on 5/15/03 with lung cancer. It is in his left lung and has met. to his hip. He is about to finish his radiation on the hip and has had only 1 chemo treatment which is Carbo/Taxotere. He did not have any symptoms that you read about. His pain started in the hip and thats how they found it. My dad is 63 and has always tried to live healthy. I would like to hear from people that may be in the same situation and what they are being treated with. This has really devastated me. Please add us to your prayer list and I will be doing the same for all of you. Thanks, DJR

DJR

So sorry to hear about your dad and his LC. I ,too, had no symptoms...the LC was found while investigating abdominal pains. Regrettably, I have no specific chemo info for you, but your dad will definitely be in my prayers. Welcome to a supportive, caring group.

Guest DaveG

Hi:

I am also 59 and was first diagnosed back in September 2001. I was diagnosed following a car accident while they were evaluating minor injuries. The doctor ordered a CT Scan of chest, because he was suspicious that I might have ruptured a lymph node in my neck from the shoulder harness. The lymph node was fine, but they discovered a 6 cm size tumor in the lower lobe of my right lung. I had successful surgery in October 2001.

Then in August 2002, on a routine follow-up CT Chest scan it was discovered that I had another tumor in the lowerlobe of my right lung. I had surgery, again, on the same lung, in which the original intention was to remove the lower lobe, however, when they found the tumor, it was benign, so the surgeon resected the tumor and a small portion of my lung surrounding the tumor.

I was doing fine, so I thought, until I had my 6 month post-op follow-up with the surgeon. As part of the follow-up a CT Chest Scan was done, and they discovered that I had several tumors in my lymphnodes in the medialsteinal area of my chest. As I was inoperatable, I was referred back to my oncologist, Dr. Joan Schiller, at the U of Wisc Comprehensive Cancer Center. After a PET Scan and subsequent lymph node biopsy, it was determined that I had metastatic lung cancer to my lymphatic system, almost sytemically thoughout the lymphatic system. This all took place in April and on April 25, I was restaged to Stage IV, NSCLC, Adenocarcinoma. I was started on 3 week cycles, of 6 cycles of Carboplatin/Pachtaxol on May 5.

Being restaged, was a "downer" for me, but as you probably know, we have several long term Stage IV survivors as members of this message board.

The biggest things we have to offer are hope, support, faith, and tons of love. You have also probably noticed we treat each other as if they are family, and that's exactly what we are, one big extended family. the common bond being lung cancer and, all of us, in one way or another, share lung cancer, either as survivors, or as family members. We are open here and we stress openness. You can come and vent. You can come and cry. You can come here and share good news. You can come here and share bad news. All without fear of retribution, because we understand as many of us have already experienced much of what you may be going through right now.

I hope all this helps to let you know what we are about. Although I am co-director, because of my ongoing chemo, I am having to back off. I am not quite as active as I used to be. I am ok this week, but by this time next week, it may be different story, as I get chemo on Tuesday.

DJR, my wife has a case similar to your dad. She was diagnosed with NSCLC 10/02, with five bone mets, including the left hip. She also had pain in the hip as well as the upper back where the main bone met was. She went through radiation on three of the sites, and started chemo. But she was in the hospital most of Dec. from dehydration and infections. One can get dehydrated easily on chemo or radiation if you are not taking in enough liquids. And if you are doing chemo and radiation at the same time, it is almost impossible to keep up the liquid intake and may need IV once a week. She spent most of January recovering. When we started chemo again it had been a two-month gap. She was on carboplatin and taxotere, like your dad. After five treatments this year, the small tumors in her lung disappeared and as far as we can tell, the bone mets are gone (it is harder to tell with bone). However, she has developed recently a bone met in her sacrum and is presently undergoing radiation for that. We feel hopeful that she will beat this thing. Good luck to you and your dad. Don

Thank you for the replies. I have read alot of encouraging stories from all of you. Don, I see that you are from Houston, we live on the northside by The Woodlands. Where is your wife being treated at? Again thanks to everyone and I will be praying for you. DJR

Hi DJR,

Sorry for replying so late, but... better late than never right? 8)

My husband and I are going through a slightly different diagnosis, but there are a lot of similarities between all types of lung cancer.

My husband is 31, and was diagnosed in March. He has an Atypical Carcinoid with Mets to the lymph nodes through the chest cavity and neck, and mets to the liver. He has just finished his second cycle of Cisplatin and CPT-11. We are currently on a break from the chemo while we wait for CT Scan results. It's sort of an trying time as we wait. Many people will tell you that waiting for results is one of the hardest things. Especially since treatment is suspended during the wait.

Keith didn't really have any symptoms that we noticed, until after the diagnosis, then we could look back and say "Oh yeah, you did have a bit of a cough". He had a slight cough, but nothing we didn't attribute to a dry throat. He only did it 4-5 times a day, one short little cough. But, we've learned that most people don't have symptoms until they are in the late stages of this.

That is one of the great things about this site. This is a great place to learn things, get information, real life experiences from over 400 people going through this same nightmare. It is also a place of incredible emotional support and caring.

I will be praying for your dad, and also for your family.

Carleen

Thank you for your reply Carleen. Before I started posting here I had read alot of your post, and I knew that you and your husband looked young. My wife and I are your age also. Today my dad went for his second chemo treatment. Lately it seems like he has no energy. I will be praying for your husband and for you.

DJR