The Nicotine Monkey is back...

richinsdakota

I'm not a smoker....for whatever reason, I'm the only one in my family that doesn't. I lost both of my parents to tobacco related illnesses.

Thank you all for your honesty regarding the addiction. Reading throught his gave me a different perspective.

I've been so angry at my Mom for not quitting after my Dad died from complications related to emphysema.....I thought watching him would be enough to make her quit. It's bigger than that, I've realized.

Bless her heart, it must have been such conflicting emotions for her.

I appreciate the insight.

Good luck to you, Rich. You'll be in my prayers.....

Rich,

Steve has always been an adamant non-smoker, yet his older brother and sister were lifelong smokers until a couple of years ago. His brother's doctor told him insurance would not cover the patch, but would pay for Wellbutrin, which was essentially the same drug. Worked like a charm for him. Also, my brother-in-law who was the ultimate chain smoker (couldn't even talk to him about trying to quit), suddenly decided to try hypnosis and it worked.

One other word of warning. My father had smoked since he was a kid and then quit cold turkey in his 40's. After not having any for 7 years, he went to a wedding and was given a cigar. One cigar was all it took and he was back to smoking for the next decade or so until he had a heart attack. Doctor said, "You smoke, you die. You stop, you live. It's up to you." Happy to say that my 86 year-old dad is still smoke free. You can do it!!

My husband smoked from the time he was 17 until this April when he was diagnosed with nsclc. He woke up one morning, went down to "his" bathroom downstairs to shave, started to cough and out came the blood. We went to the doctor, got the xray and, well, you know the story. But he was so appalled at the blood -- which really spurted out in great quantities-- that he stopped smoking on the spot. I think he did have one or two cigarettes before the actual biopsy, but after that, to today, nothing. And he was as addicted as he could be. He had had legionaire's disease fifteen years ago and stopped smoking for three months. One cigarette and he was back. Pneumonia eight years ago - stopped for one month. One cigarette and... Two back surgeries four years ago. After each, lasted about three weeks and was back. This time it seems for real.

He says that he still has the cravings from time to time but he just thinks about that blood -- and it kills the cravings. So he's fortunate enough to have a negative association to help him through it.

When we went to the doctor the day of the blood, before diagnosis, we talked with her about wellbutrin and got a prescription which we never filled -- he was able to do it cold turkey. My son in law, after Len's diagnosis, tried a combination of the patch and wellbutrin -- but it didn't last. He went off to a conference where everyone was smoking, and he buckled. He says he's going to try again.

Good luck in your struggle against this awful addiction. It seems more powerful than heroin - but it can be done if you keep at it. And make it as difficult as possible on yourself to smoke (only outside, keep the cigarettes in an inconvenient spot, tell everyone to help you resist, etc., etc.)

I was lucky. Smoked in college and after, but quit when I got pregnant -- not because I was being a good mother...in those days no one told you not to smoke (or drink or anything else for that matter) but because I couldn't stand the taste. And I never took it up again. But I don't suppose pregnancy is an option....

Ellen

My husband quit just before his original dignosis in 2001. He quit cold turkey and has never looked back. His surgeon and pumonologist both told him that it was imperative to quit to aid in healing. I didn't quit for another 2 years, when my own breathing wasn't as good, and Iwas diagnosed with COPD , emphysema. I went to www.whyquit.com and I can tell you that the education and support that I received there made all the difference in the world. God Bless you.

sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! was dx w/ nsclc on7-31-03. Smoked for 35 years. Had top of right

lobe removed. Went through cemo and radiation and have been cancer

free since. I have not had a cig since. First of all I wouldn't have to

worry about the cancer killing me, my kids would. It absolutely is a choice. I've beat it w/ sugarless gum and lifesaver sugarfree cremesavers. You have a 80 to 90 % chance of the cancer reoccuring if you smoke. I know how hard it is to stop. I am a stubborn person and

I used it in my job to quit. Living alone is the hardest. It truely is a friend. You loose sooo much w/ cancer and you justify it, it your mind.

Try hard. It is an addiction, but it is more of a CHOICE than anything else.

I do miss my cigs, but I would miss my family more. I do think of the

postive. I have saved alot of money. I don't have to go out in the freezing cold at work to smoke (live in PA). My car and house don't smell. But most of all I want to set a good example for my grandkids so they don't ever start this crappy habit. So everytime I have a craving I think of this stuff. I get up and do something with my hands. It's so hard. Good luck and take care.

• 3 weeks later...

there's no trick to it, you just quit...and you dont have to have patches,pills,hypnosis or anything else...

i smoked 3-5 packs (winston 100s) for the last 30+ years....i've been off of 'em (since dx sclc...2-3 months)....it isnt a matter of whether you can..... it just a matter of if you will......1000s of people do it everyday....

if you want to live and/or "limit the suffering" you'll have to go through you had better do it....i'm not trying to be mean but you need to really re-evaluate your situation......you WILL quit...its just a matter of whether or not youre alive when you do it.... ...s