totally not cancer related

Connie B

Connie,

I saw the surgery performed on TLC or Discovery Health Channel. It was performed on a small child. When they turned the device on for the first time and the child heard his parents speak, he smiled the biggest smile. I cried watching and am pretty close to crying reading Austin's story. (Yeah, I AM a sap!) I'm so glad that Austin was able to have this done at an early age. How AWESOME!!!!!!!! I'm so proud for all of you!

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Connie,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful news. I am so excited for your little grandson. I have two...one just turned 5 and the other one will turn 5 in about 2 weeks. They are cute enough to just eat and I know that yours is too. So happy for the entire family. I wish him all the best and hope that you take a picture of that very first smile.

Nina

Connie...this is wonderful news for you and your family...I have heard alot of positive things about this treatment. I am curious though, does Austin only have trouble in the one ear? if not, will they do the implant later on with the other ear? I dont really know alot about deafness, but my son is legally blind and does have some vision, but cannot drive and things like that and i wish more than anything they could come up with something like this that would help him. He was born without cones and rods and there really is not much that can be done for this, but i keep on praying that '''One Day""....

Please keep us posted and i have him in my prayers.

Kim

All your love and support is so overwhelming to me. THANK YOU !!

Peggy, I LOVE when you said, "OOOOOZING Excitement" Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me! :D

Kim, The reason they only did One ear is because when the do this surgery they strip all the hearing from that ear (if there was or is any).

Now after they strip the hearing they can never go back and put it back in. So, they recommend doing only one ear just in case something better comes down the pike from now that works better or can restore his hearing in his other ear. At least that is my understanding of it.

Angie, I sure hope when Austin hears all of us, that he will give us a BIG SMILE TOO!! I'll let you know! I kind of think he will! He's just a love bug and a little musher. I could almost see him giving his famous kisses once he hears us. :wink:

We really don't know if he was born this way or if it was something that happened as he got older. We Do think he could hear a little when he was younger. Only because he would hold musical toys to his ears and listen to them that way. When the music was done, he would put the toy down, or turn the knob to make more music. But the did dx. him as being profoundly deaf.

Again, THANK YOU EVERYONE for all your LOVE and SUPPORT. It's nice to beable to share a little good news with all you, along with the New Tech. of Medicine. :D

Like I said before, YOUR ALL THE GREATEST!!!

LOVE TO YOU ALL.

Connie B