Are you sure this is the best way to handle unpleasentries?

caledon

I see the white wash crew has been out - full force! Question? Hiding the warts and negative emotions - which are part of life - helpful?

I don't know what was posted on the thread after my post; too see the whole thread >>> poof! Too see a board manipulated in such a way makes me feel uneasy:-/

Caledon

I'm not sure specifically what post or thread you're referring to, but I can see why you might question this and I'm sorry it's made you uneasy. But I believe the only things that have been removed were things that were hurtful to members, not just simple disagreements. (Those happen all the time. :lol: )

There is lots of room for differing opinions, but when people start to feel attacked (whether or not that was the intent), or when issues of possible liability arise, sometimes (very rarely) things are removed.

I hope that helps,

BeckyCW

Becky, the post in question was not my own. It was one I responded to after it started to get well ugly (not in a bad way) just someone having a…well - bad day…? From what I gather this post has spurred all the legal disclaimers over the last 24hrs.

I don’t see why they are worried though? This site is tame compared to Yahoo, MSN boards etc! Gee; the yahoo finance boards should’ve spawned at least 10 million suits since the bubble popped…! Disclaimers!!!

I Just don't like the idea that if someone choses they can delete entire threads for no other reason but they wanted too. Everything we do online leaves an electronic trail (database, server logs) to see these manipulated...well???

Caledon

My understanding is that the author of the first posting in a thread can remove the entire thread, and that any author of a post can remove his or her particular contribution to the thread. It may not be the best way to do things, but it has worked pretty well thus far. And it has the nice feature of being simple to understand as well.

Curtis

Monitoring forums for inappropriate posts, and then deleting the ones that are -is not manipulation.

No posts have been altered, edited or changed by LCSC or our moderators. They were simply removed.

Other message boards will delete posts that are of a different subject or content matter, or posts that sound like advertisements for other groups. LCSC does not do that.

While it is appreciated that there are other message groups that allow heated and aggressive exchanges, and pretty much everything under the sun- those message groups are not non profit organizations- and may not have a vested interest in building an online community and a real-life community, that can have the respect and leverage to raise funding and awareness and to motivate action against this disease and actually make a marked difference. There is not a lung cancer community like this online anywhere. This website is growing and so is LCSC.

While the onclave of disclaimers may have seemed overwhelming for some, it was something that needed to be done for quite some time.

I started to write a whole long post on why I think management is doing the right thing here but then I decided I may not be able to make my opinions clear and didn't want to start a whole 'nother discussion or disagreement with anyone.

I just agree with how they are handling things and why they are.

Bottom line: we need to support each other. we need to share ideas. and we need to debate issues at times. that's what we're here for. and that's what I plan on continuing.

God Bless us all,

Karen C.

Ditto, Karen C. I dare not say much more than that, for fear of it being misconstrued, or fear of being ridiculed, attacked, etc. But it'd take a heck of a lot more than that to keep me away from here. The good stuff is worth it, as far as I'm concerned. So thanks and kudos, Board of Directors.

Blessings,

TeeTaa

I understand your confusion about why a post might be deleted if you have participated heavily in other forums. Many groups can become pretty toxic. I really don't mean to sound rude but like others have pointed out already, many of us are going through life altering times here and the point is that this is a SUPPORT community.

The managers of this site are not like those at the Yahoo groups to which you refer. They truly care about this community and in fact founded it upon the memory of a very dear loved one. Posts which contain disagreements have never been deleted to my knowlege.

I do believe, however, that the moderators of this forum wish to keep things from escalating out of a support community into one of those "other" sites you mentioned. I guess if we are looking for one of those "other" sites, we know where to find them. :?

I have seen many many respectful disagreements and have never seen anyone quarrel with those. I am thankful to be able to come here without risk of flaming and abuse at this stage of my life.