Facial Symptoms Related To Your Cancer ?

Bill

Bill,

I have no idea if this is related to your wife's symptoms, but... Several weeks before Steve was dx with cancer, he started having severe facial pain. He was treated for a sinus infection with several rounds of different antibiotics. None worked and he just kept getting worse. The pain was so severe, he couldn't even lie down in bed. He was referred to an ENT who tried a med for indeterminate nerve pain. Steve got really sick. In desperation, we went to an acupuncturist - something we would never have even considered before. We checked her out thoroughly, licensed, doctorate in Chinese medicine, etc. Amazingly, his pain was very much lessened after the first treatement and was completely resolved after about three treatments. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would have never believed it. The doctors now think that the facial pain may have been related to Shingles which showed up because his body was stressed by the cancer. Whatever caused it, the acupuncturist successfully treated it and it has not returned. Thank goodness not to have to fight that pain on top of everything else.

john

I am not sure if this is what you are asking about but some people develop swelling in their face due to vena cava syndrome.

////////////////

Yes. I'm asking for input on facial ( including neck ) symptoms that anyone has experienced due to their cancer such as swelling, ptosis, paralysis, pain, etc. Also, any facial symptoms attributable to chemo would be of interest.

Bill,

As has been mentioned here , vena cava syndrom will cause swelling in the face. Having just witnessed this in my husband's case, I can tell you what happened. It seemed like it was almost over night that his face became very swollen, he became reddish in the face(flushing), the jugular vein in his neck protruded, his arms and hands were very swollen, plus he had purplish marks across the top of the abdomen. A scan was done to determine the cause and it was determined it was all due to pressure on the superior vena cava . To correct this condition, a stent was put in the vein and 10 radiation treatments followed to shrink the tumor. Just putting in the stent alone, relieved the symptoms. By that evening his face and arms were nearly back to normal. I'm not sure what you are looking for in particular, but I hope this helps.

sue

My hubbie had fluid bags under his eyes for 5 months and also what is sometimes called "stokes collar", before he was finally diagnosed. His whole face looked swollen. The diagnosis was superior vena cava syndrome which was releaved after he had his radiation treatments. Today his face looks absolutely wonderful and he remains stable while on iressa.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. Text material has it's place but nothing beats hearing from patients or caregivers that have personal experience with cancer symptoms, treatment, etc. Recently my wife developed ptosis ( including swelling ) mainly of the right eye and some facial swelling. More symptoms to monitor and worry about ! All three of her treating physicians are surprised and very concerned that these symptoms have suddenly appeared. CT scans of brain, chest, abdomen and pelvis were taken yesterday. Results and the bottom line next week.