Non Cancer Related....

Fay A.

Bells of Ireland are just about my favorite flowers. They reach a height of about 3 1/2 feet, and the plant is an intense apple green from the base of the stalk to the bells themselves. Inside each bell is a very exotic little blossom that is white with fuchia colored markings, almost like a minature orchid.

Inside my tallest flower stalk a small spider has set up housekeeping. It's the same shade of apple green as the plant itself. It looks like a jewel.

I never thought I would see the day when I actually LIKED a spider!

From one gardener to another, the picture that you describe with your words is just awesome. I have never seen the flower in person. The books that I have at home do not not make it that appealing to me. But from your note, I am going to look for that flower nest spring. I think that it will make a lovely addition to our garden.

Fay -

Coming from a VERY Irish family... Daddy was born and raised in Limerick... I am very familiar with the Bells of Ireland flowers... They are very lovely and enjoy your little guest who has made a home in one of the "bells" Spiders are good luck you know!! Love, Sharon

Oh Fay - that's one of my favorite flowers too! I've never tried to grow it, and don't know if it will grow here . . . maybe I'll try next year. I learned to like it when Fran (Teacake) was a florist, and now I just love seeing it. When Terry was at the hospice, and I was ordering flowers for Fran from the whole family (after some surgery), I told the florist that I wanted, "something strange, high style, and including Bells of Ireland and other wierd stuff" - she just laughed at me!

Anyway - I'd give anything to be there with my camera to capture the image you've painted with your words. It'd make a great Avatar!

Love and thanks for helping to put such a beautiful picture in my mind this morning -

TeeTaa

Oh, Bells of Ireland are just wonderful to use in arrangements. They look kind of like green octopus arms to me, though.

And the flowers that Katha ordered were beautiful in a flat round black bowl with Bells, green fugi mums, curly willow and stargazer (red/white) lilies arranged with an Asian flair.

Fran

Fay, your depiction & description of the lovely flowers reminds me that we who belong to the group of cancer survivors often feel & see things that would have been missed or passed by in earlier more healthy times. Maybe it's God's way of making up to us for our scary diagnosis. I have been noticing things of beauty in nature since my diagnosis 7 mos. ago. The thrill involved in such small discoveries slows my mind & fills me with a sense of peace & wonder & gratitude that I have been able to appreciate all that this beautiful world has to offer. Thanks for the picture & hang in. Claire

Fay, I love those , too. I like the unusual, and there is something interesting about green flowers. Your new avator is nice too; I assume it's your garden?

TeeTaa, am I the only one who sees a face at the top of your sunflower? Maybe it's T-bone smiling down at you. :)

Fay-Isn't it wonderful to take the time to notice things like that. I see so many little things that just make my heart jump. Your flower sounds beautiful. I have hummingbirds in the backyard feeding from the feeder I put out last spring. I so enjoy watching them just hover in mid air.

I agree-I see a face in the top petals of the sunflower! Cool.

Love Cindy

Yep, same photo, Frannie. I couldn't believe it when the folks here found another face!

To the rest of you - a neighbor saw this photo at my house, and it happened to be upside down. He immediately saw a face in it, as did my husband and I. I sent the upside-down version to all the family, and Fran was the only one to even remotely see it. But I have to say - the resolution on the hard copy is much better and therefore the smiling face is easier to see. Either way, though, whether you're looking at the big upside-down smiley face in the midde of the flower, or the little right-side-up smiley face in the petal up top, it's a good thought, don't you think?!

Smiley faces and pretty flowers to you all,

TeeTaa

I can't do the extensive gardening and landscaping that I use to do. So now I garden in large and small flower pots. The plants in the photo are all grown in pots. The crimson and orange one is a bouganvilla called "Alabama Sunset"....my guess is because it contains Alabama Crimson and Auburn Orange. :wink:

By growing things in pots I can continue to play in the dirt. :) I don't readily give up the things I enjoy. I try to find new ways of doing the things I love. It may not be on the same scale as before, but the plants don't seem to care where they are as long as they get sun and water and enough food to keep them in flower.