After chemo & radiation - no appetite?

mjb

Hi - I'm back. My husband finished WBR in July and went off the steroids the first week he was through with the treatment. They were making him gain weight and not sleep. It's now been 6 weeks since he completed the radiation and for the last few days, he has had no appetite. Also even less energy than usual and had chills last night. Is that a normal side effect this long after treatment. It's the first time throught his process (7+ months) that he's just had no appetite and it worries me. Am thinking of calling the doctor tomorrow because he's not schedued for any tests until the first week of October. Any input appreciated.

Thanks Don. He's taking his Boost juice (hates ensure) and vitamins. Just saw someone else had recommended an herb called Astragalus and went and read up on it. Think I will get some of that as well. It's the first time since all this started that he hasn't had an appetite.

I underwent lung, (chest), radiation from June 26, 2003 until October 31, 2003 and, then PCI for most of December. After about the first two weeks when I was eating like a pig, (to compensate for cold-turkey smoking cessation), I began to gradually lose my appetite, senses of taste and smell and desire to eat. I dropped from around 185/190 to the mid 140's before I got my eating somewhat under control.

I did have one good period, for most of November. That was between my last chemo session and my first PCI. Then I sort of dropped off again. I feel I'm doing much better now, hanging in at 163/164. That is a very good weight for me and all I need to do now is get back some strength. I'm still amazed at how little I eat or how seldom I "feel" hungry.

I've also been lucky to be able to dredge some humor out of this mess. In addition to lung cancer, and as if I need it, I've also got a high blood presure problem. In order to maintain any semblance of eating during some periods I essentially lived on cream-filled chocolate Bismarks and ice cream. Both my oncologists were encouraging me to indulge to my hearts content. This, of course, was driving my cardiologist nuts as my cholesterol and triglycerides were running rampant. Currrently we're all just trying to get along.

Hopefully, this will pass for your husband. It pretty much has for me.

twodog (and to the others who replied - thanks for the first hand account. I made soup one night and just set it in front of my husband who gave me one of "those" looks but ate it. Next day he complained of an upset stomach and said it was because "I made him eat." So, I only fix something if he feels like he might can eat and it has gotten a little better. Also, I guess if you're used to be really active, doing hard physical work, and then suddenly you're lying around all day that maybe the appetite slacks off as well. Anyway, I appreciate the input. And my best to everyone who is delaing with this as either a patient or a caregiver.

MJB

"That look", huh? You should talk to my wife. Nearly every time she even mentions food she gets it. I know she's plotting to make me eat something.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend. You never know when something will fire off an appetite. Every once in a while I'll think of something or come across a food idea that seems attractive and I'll try it.

I don't remember if I mentioned it in my last post, but, you need to take care of yourself during these times too. I have a bigger problem with her losing weight than with myself now. I'm holding where I want to be, but when I don't want to eat she doesn't eat. She/you need to eat regardless. :)

The chills are what concern me the most. This is usually indicative of an infection, even if you aren't (yet) running a fever. One of my children was one of those scarey kids who could be very, very ill and would not run a fever. We almost lost her as an toddler because she had pneumonia and her only symptom was the chills...no fever, only the slightest little cough. Please make certain that he is seen very soon. I know it's a holiday weekend, but don't wait. Those of us with Lung Cancer cannot afford to take chances with our lung function.