need help

Mary

Hello,

My sister was admitted to the hospital. She had a ct scan which showed blood clots in her lungs. The doctor said because she has brain mets they could not give her anything for the clots. She had two lessions treated with gamma knife and they have shrunk. There is a third spot about 2 mm. I would appreciate any information because I am meeting with the doctor tomorrow.

Mary

It really sucks. Green tea is supposed to help with cancer, but it contains a lot of vitamin K which can cause blood clots.

Dietary Sources of vitimin K

Foods that contain a significant amount of vitamin K include beef liver, green tea, turnip greens, broccoli, kale, spinach, cabbage, asparagus, and dark green lettuce. Chlorophyll, which is water soluble, is the substance in plants that gives them their green color and provides vitamin K.

Freezing foods may destroy vitamin K, but heating does not affect it.

Mary , I am so sorry your sister has had this complication. I don't know exactly why but for some reason lung cancer makes us more prone to developing blood clots, also anesthesia increases the risk, lying around or worse yet "sitting' around makes us more prone also. A friend of mine who had part of her lung removed seemed to do everything right, she was up the day of surgery, walking around in a couple of days carrying her chest tubes, and still ended up with a huge clot in a deep vein in her leg. Fortunately it did not break off and go to her lung. Being that your sister just had a procedure for the brain tumor I imagine that really has complicated treating the emboli please keep us posted on how she is doing and what they have been able to do for her. Praying for her . Donna