Just when you think medical care in PBC can't get worse

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

My new onc told me I need a bronchoscopy. I didn't want to go back to the pulmonologist I had seen once, since the bronchoscopy he did was a horrible experience. The onc suggested another one. I had, in fact, been seen in the office he suggested a couple times including a couple years ago when they took a chest x-ray and pronounced me fine.

I get in the office. Doc comes in and says he can not do the test. I have to go back to the other pulmonologist.. I said I really didn't want too. Besides I was a former patient of that office. He says he really can't do the test because it isn't right.

I ask "You mean I HAVE to go back to the other pulmonologist?" He says, "Oh no, you can pick another one. I just can't take you because you saw us before and then chose to have someone else work on you."

Okay, after all I've been through lately with the former oncologist and insurance, I started to cry - I was so embarrassed. So he goes, "I'll call your primary and see what he has to say."

I overhear him asking my primary if he had trouble with me. What? I don't think so. Then he starts telling him how emotional I am. I can't believe it. Of course, at this point, I'm emotional and does he have to talk about me so loud that I can hear him? I was told I should see the doctor immediately for a bronch. I didn't want to go through having to get another referral, another appointment, tell the story to another doctor.

More, he just told me how bad my tumor was - how it was pushing on superior vena cava and trachea and atrium and pushing them out of the way - grabbing on to them.

He comes back into the office and starts yakking and I interrupt him. I looked at him and said, "I have never had any trouble with my primary." He blinks (like - oh was I talking that loud?) and goes, "um, yeah, um that's what he said."

The care in this county is abominable.

rant>

Cat

Wow, what a crazy story! It's just heartbreaking. So what ended up happening? Who is going to do the bronch? And something isn't clear to me: who told you that about your tumor? Someone today? or the surgeon a few weeks ago?

How's the weather? I feel so badly for you and will send as much good as I can muster your way!

elaine

Geesh Cat, My heart just breaks for you and all you have been through.

I wish so badly there was something I could do to help. It angers me the way you have been treated so poorly. Is the doctor you seen today going to do the bronch now? Like Elaine I will be sending extra good wishes your way. Haylee

cat,

i'm so sorry to hear about your experience with the doctor. that was completely insensitive of him. ugh, i know that you must be so discouraged. sadly, having the "best" health care system in the world doesn't mean that it's without its loopholes. have you finalized where you'll get the test? my thoughts and prayers are with you.

God bless,

mj

The doctor walked out. I was waiting for him to come back and tell me if/when the test. The nurse came in and said I was dismissed. I said, what? I thought he was going to see about test. She said he said to follow up with other pulmonologist.

Elaine both the surgeon and this yahoo told me how horrible the tumor is.

I figure quite honestly I'll be dead soon so who gives a freak, Elaine on who said what.

What a way to die. They made the tumor sound so incredibly death bearng.

Cat

I thought the whole point of the bronch was to tell if what is in there is cancerous or not--give me the guy's name, and I will call him myself and tell him off for speaking that way to you, treating you that way and for going on about a mass in such a way as to scare you when it may not even be cancerous still. I know there are others who will do the same, if you just give us the word.

Cat, do you have someone who can go with you to these appointments? I think they treat people, especially women, this way, especially if they are alone and appear vulnerable. It's the God complex and plain old misogyny.

elaine

Cat,

my god you are on eof the most talented people I have had the pleasure to know. Write your Governor. Forward him copies of the letters you wrote your congressmen. Tell him these doctors names and how shabily they are treating you now because you have the dare to fight for your life. Tell him you are a registered voter and if he does not step in and help he will have one less vote in you and 1400 plus other backers getting the vote against him going.

You are dealing with this, but we can all write your governor on your behalf. WE the people can if you let all of us know (not just a select few) what state your in and your Governors name.

Let us take the reigns now and write YOUR governor, and Congressman and Senators in your name.

post us their names and addresses and watch what we, your extended family can do for you.

I love you chicky.

Dearest Cat,

I'm so sorry that son of a wench doctor treated you that way!! Geesh...I had a bad day with doctors, too. I hope that SOMEONE can tell you SOMETHING so you can get treatment or know what to do. This is ridiculous.

I have some leftover tar and feathers............I'm sending them to Florida. Heck, I'll come down and tar and feather that fart head myself! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that today.

Praying for better days and better doctors for you. (also better weather)

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Sigh. Shelly - my governor is none other than Governor Jeb Bush. I don't have a lot of hope in his understanding anyone in my condition.

One of my Senator's is Senator Graham but his term is over in December and he's started to wind down on helping people. The other one is Bill Nelson who so far has not even acknowledged my letters. What a guy.

My Congressman is Robert Wexler. He seems a stand up guy.

I'm too out of it to get their addresses. Maybe later.

Any help - ANY help - focusing on how hard it is for me to get the necessary help - would be greatly appreciated.

The more I think of it - the less logical that pulmonologist sounds. He began with telling me he couldn't take care of me because the whole point was the doctors didn't want fractured care for a patient. A patient should stay with the doctors they begin with.

Okay, I get that.

But when I said I wasn't going back to old pulmonologist, he says I should ask (primary?) for another one because (the truth comes out maybe?) he couldn't take me because I had been his patient and then gone to another doctor.

I think perhaps he's worried over the fact that some say NSCLC tumor that is my size (9 cm) has been growing for 4 years by the time it's discovered which means he should have seen it in the x-ray they took which his office said was completely normal.

So maybe that's why one of his first comments to my primary was "have you had any trouble with her?" He puts that idea into another's mind, doctor to doctor, and they will think it's my problem and not the care they're giving me.

Cat

Cat, I had another idea--maybe the question "Have you had any trouble with her?" meant trouble as in legal trouble--if you get my drift. Maybe that is what he is avoiding you about. I mean, really,--people change Doctors all the time. Does your primary know about the letters you sent to Wexler et al? If so, they could see that as potential trouble.

elaine

Unless you woke up in a different country, this is still the USA and you still get to choose the practitioners you want. In my opinion, you need to be reporting these guys to your County Medical Society (if you have such an organization where you live) and to the AMA, and to whatever state licensing body you have. It may not do you any good in the short term, but if they begin collecting such complaints, yours may just come back to haunt them one of these days.

It just makes me furious when I'm told I "have to" do something in order to fix something created by someone else! It's like the phone company -- they screw up something on your account, you call to fix it, and they tell you all you "have to do" to get it fixed!! grrrrrr. I've started telling them that I don't "have to" do anything -- this is their problem, they can deal with it, and in the meantime this is what WE are going to do for ME.

Good grief.

I hope you get some help, and soon, and that someone drop kicks these jerks one fo these days!

Di

Oh, good, on top of everything I have to worry about -- I guess I can get no longer get a doctor to treat me, huh? I guess I shouldn't have complained. What a cheering thought. Maybe I meant suicidal. ha ha sigh

I think it more likely - in this country where every office has a help save the poor doctors from malpractice (his was prominently displayed) - that they are concerned about the fact that they missed my tumor (he said I was there for an x-ray 2 years ago). His reaction when I reminded him that he too thought it was NCSCLC BECAUSE he specifically said that it had been growing a long, long time - was one that looked like panic. Weird.