here's a silly question-sorta non cancer related

I say, if you think you can manage it financially without bankrupting yourselves completely - Go for It! Do it while you are both able to travel. I always wished that my husband and I had taken theAlaskan cruise that we had dreamed about -before his stroke, before losing his job and before cancer! Paddy

Karen,

It sounds like yours and Dave's dream vacation. If you can afford it, and NOT raid your retirement, I would go for it. Well, I can advise you to go for it. Heck, I won't even buy that brand new mattress we both need to get a good night's sleep because I "am afraid I will need it later for medical bills". I'll make a deal with you...if you buy the trailer I will purchase that mattress. Is that a deal?

The practical side of me says that you will need that retirement either for the both of you when you want to retire OR for yourself and Faith if everything doesn't work out like we all want it to. Try to work it out so that you won't be in a financial bind or that will add more stress on both of you. In other words, IF you can afford it and without really making a stress out of the monthy payment I think that selling the old one and buying the new one makes sense....As you can see, I can't make a decision without looking at it from all sides...and then I am often not sure. I do know that I worry about money and having enough for what we will need later in life....be it for my medicals if I get sick again or for just living comfortable as we age.

Nina

PS. "Ain't I a big help?" :oops:

Well, my gut says to BUY IT!! But since I used to work (before I was so blessed to be able to give up my career to stay home with my children) in the retirement investment business, I would really have to advise against raiding the retirement fund. But if you can find any other way to do it, then definitely go for it.

And this might sound strange - especially since I don't really have a clue about the RV world - but how 'bout renting it out to friends and family (only those VERY trustworthy ones, that is) when it would otherwise be sitting idle in your yard? I've often thought it would be so much fun to rent an RV to head off somewhere with several family members, and I know you can rent them from companies, but I'd much rather rent one from someone I know. I guess I have this vision in my mind cause because two summers before Daddy died, but he was already very sick, we borrowed an RV that belonged to our very good family friends and the whole lot of us spent a week going out to north Louisiana to see Mama's family. We took our time, and stayed in KOA campgrounds each night. I was only eight, but I have fond memories of that trip - just the kind of memories you want to - and SHOULD - be making. I'm pretty sure we all had a good time (especially Teacake during the Mississippi river crossing - but I'll let her explain if she can stand it!)

Anyway, my point is this - you might be able to offset the cost a bit if "renting it out" is an option. And hey - can I be the first on the reservation list?!?! (And yes, I'll come up there to get it, cause I sitll want to have a little "talk" with that adoption agency wench!)

Blessings,

TeeTaa

Karen,

I keep reading this thread every day and don't post because I don't think you should buy it. I know I'm in the minority, but that's ok. I finally just decided to say it, anyway. Don't ask me why, my gut just says you shouldn't do it. My husband and I have had to suffer too much in the past for things we bought we thought would bring us great joy only to have the newness wear off very quickly and still stuck with payments were that were difficult to pay and made us miserable.

There have been some exceptions to this, like my husband's motorcycle and this computer and all the accessories to go with both, so I guess you have to go with your own gut, but I had to throw in my two cents.

Good luck with your decision.

Love,

Peggy

Well, this whole discussion had led us back to our original "should we sell our place and move back into town" discussion.

We live about 30 miles from Richmond. It's an hour commute each way (including dropping Faith off at daycare but depending on traffic that can go to 1 hour 15 minutes). We have eight acres on a small but navigatible and very beautiful river (the Mattaponi). It's alot to take care of, not to mention the commute. Just keeping up the place takes alot of time and energy and to some extent, money. We don't know if Dave will ever be 100% again and able to keep it up. We'd save lot of time and a fair amount of money if we sold it and moved closer to Richmond. The schools for Faith would be better, we'd be closer to work and doctors and hospitals and my parents and shopping and general life. But we have poured our heart and souls into the place, done a ton of decorating inside like laying ceramic tile ourselves, cherry hardwood flooring, I did tons of decorative finish painting inside. and it will only increase in value as folks from Richmond discover that we have nice waterfront property out here . . .

we could move into town, get a smaller place and reduce our mortgage payments, putting more into our retirement. And we'd be able to buy that darn travel trailer. Also, we spend less time on the river out here and more time, when Dave is able, going on weekend trips in our trailer and there are other bodies of water out there to be discovered by us. in other words, our focus is shifting from the once childless Dave and I with our waterfront property to a family doing family things . . .

But I just hate to do it.

Then I thought, hey, maybe we could sell half the property and use that money to do some of the things we'd like to do right now, put it into the equity of our house and reduce our mortgage payments and do more things.

I know I'm baring my soul here but the bottom line is that cancer has changed the direction of our family, and as Dean says we have a new normal. so how much of the new normal do we need? a year or two ago I would never have even considered selling part of our property and potentially having neighbors in sight, but now I think if we could even possibly do that it would be a wonderful compromise.

Darn cancer!

Karen

Karen,

We are moving out of the "city" to the "country". My commute is going from two miles to 27. Here's what I'm moving from:

Neighbors - too close, too loud, too "drug related".

Noise - cars with the loud bass "booming" by at all hours

No yard - 15 minutes to mow, 'nuff said

CATS! - other peoples' cats digging my sprouts out of my garden, leaving "gifts" in my gardens...

Car accidents - the corner we lived close to had so many "fender benders"..

School kids - we lived two blocks from the high school, fast food wrappers in the yard all the time and smoking teens hanging out around the house

There is room to relax where you are, to commune with nature, to feel that all is right with the world ("Run, Bambi, Man is in the woods")... I like to get out and plant my garden barefoot, toss down a blanket and watch the clouds...

List your pros and cons, some of the "stuff" may really turn you off from moving back to the hustle and bustle of city life...

Of course, I didn't mention that I own a 1940-something FarmAll that I'm just DYING to get running and out in the yard - can't do THAT in the city! :wink:

If ya want the darn thing, BUY IT! Buy it smartly, but if you feel you will agonize more over NOT buying it...well, DUH! :shock:

Take care,

Becky

Karen,

In a way this post reminded me of my dog question and some people are just cat people, some are dog people.

I myself am more of a "suburban" person. I don't like the hustle and bustle of Manhattan or the city of LA, but I love Oranger County or the valley area of Los Angeles. However when we drive to the country areas an hour or more away Ithink to myself, how beautiful, but I could never live there away from my stores, restaurants, etc. On the other hand I know people who for a million dollars would not move out of the country :)

Hopefully it will just come to you and David as to what is best for you. Where would you be happier? Would you be happier closer to neighbors, shopping, etc? Or do you like your peace? Could you keep 1 or 2 of the 8 acres and build a get-away weekend cabin so you can have the best of both worlds?

This is a tough decision for you!!!

I just saw this thread for the first time right now and I think that if you can find a way to pay for the things that make you happy, do it now. I was mowing the lawn this morning and thinking about things and it occurred to me that I need to make some forward-reaching plans for the future. Kind of like what all the folks said about getting a puppy--it's a committment for the future, except I already have two dogs.

I think we all need to live within our parameters, if that means scaling back space wise because we can't handle it all anymore, either by way of age, health, or other time committments. But we also need to try to manage the things that make us happy, and life is for living now, not thinking about living later. I think that no group more than ours knows that.

So, my bottom line is, if you can do it comfortably somehow, do it.....there's always that beer truck thing Becky talks about, so you never know.......

Cindy

Becky,, love your post about why you're moving to the country.

It's why we started looking out here in the first place. Finding the riverfront property was a nice fluke.

More thinking to do, but I think it's time to call our nice neighorly friendly RE broker (who is also very good at what he does) and ask him to come talk to us about what he sees as our options. Selling half might be the cure. Then we'd have less to maintain which is a big issue.

thanks ya'll,

Karen

Hi Karen,

4 Years ago BC We found a boat we wanted very badly. All Alluminum, 34' I had a galley to cook in & room for 4or5 to sleep. We bought it 2 days after seeing it. What fun we have had cruising & meeting up with other friends on the water. Have never regretted it & never will. So that's how I feel about it. Good luck making up your mind.

Rachel

hey, Rachel, do you still have that boat? I hope so, it sounds great!

We've been doing alot of thinking and research and soul searching. this whole TT thing has led us to think alot about the future. We're probably going to buy one, similar in floor plan to the one we initially thought, but much much less expensive . . .and probably won't get it right away. But we're going to try to make some major changes in investments, etc., the goal is for Dave eventually to just work part time and keep the stress level, thus the potential for yhet another occurrence - go away.

Take care everyone,

Karen