Radiation is Done....

Fay A.

I was supposed to have 35 treatments, but last week the Radiation Onc told me I didn't have to do the final two unless I just wanted to do so. I had planned to have the final two this week, but as I was getting ready to leave for the appointment on Monday morning I broke a few toes, and I decided that was a sign to stay home. :roll: (Have I ever mentioned how graceful I am?)

At any rate, it is so nice not to have to be nuked on a daily basis. And for those of you who have done this before, how long did it take for the burn on your skin to heal and clear up?

I think that by the end of the week I'll have a new battle plan mapped out for the new tumors that showed up a few weeks ago.

I'm going to celebrate this week...celebrate that the house has it's final coat of stucco (even if they did make it pink instead of the white with a gray base we ordered!), the new roof is on, I don't have to have another injection of Amifostine, I don't have to get nuked any more. Now if I can just get my foot in a shoe....

Fay~

I am so happy for you that you are done with the radiation. Sorry to hear about the toes, man does that hurt! It seems like John's skin burn didn't last too long after the radiation was stopped. It should clear up soon. Our radiation onc told him to use aloe vera on it.

That's good news on the house. Go celebrate Fay!

Rochelle

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Great Fay. Glad the radiation is over. The skin discomfort lasted - oh - up to 2 weeks but it was only bad for about 6 - 10 days.

Also amusing to hear you're as graceful as I am. Hope the toes don't hurt too much.

Cat

Glad to know your radiation is over. But sorry 'bout those toes . . . I know how painful that can be, and there's not a darn thing they can do for it!

Can't wait to hear your battle plan for those new tumors. They'd better be shaking in their boots, cause you're gonna whoop 'em!

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

Fay - spare time. You must have her confused with someone else.

Remember, Fay gardens, makes beautiful eggs, chases contractors to get the job done, and does obviously graceful happy dancing.

Fay, I am so happy for you. Enjoy the treatment vacation and get your game plan together.

hi fay,

ouch on the toes! way to go on finishing the radiation treatments! please take time out to rest. in some ways, breaking your toe/finger is a lot harder to deal with that breaking an arm because you feel like you can still do everything you usually do, but you really need to rest in order for them to heal properly (talking from experience :lol:). save the high heel shoes for later! congrats on the house too. i know that getting work done on your house can be a pain in the neck! as for mapping out a plan for your future treatments: i am confident that you'll make the right decisions for yourself. please take care.

God bless,

mj

Graceful Happy Dance? hehe...Fay sounds like me.....I am that graceful as well...my legs have permanent bruises on my shins at the same hight as the dishwasher door and table at the foot of our bed. I am so sorry about the broken toes, they hurt like heck, but so glad you aren't having to go to radiation everyday. That was the pits. It took me about 3 weeks to get rid of the "radiation rash" that I had. Mine was never really burned, but itched like you know what.

As for the house, I am so glad that things are moving along for you. That is a huge stress and I will be so glad for you when you can move in and enjoy it.

Scans? You always have my prayers but they will be a little longer til you hear from them. I hate that time ....the wait...best of luck to you.

Nina

Dear Fay,

Hip, hip, hooray for the radiation finale!

As for the radiation burns, I have no experience with that but I DO have experience with broken toes and it takes a LONG time for them to heal. Sorry for the bad news. You might as well go ahead and cut the toes out of all your beautiful shoes!

ViVi

Fay, Congrats on your graduation from radiation. I only had 25 treatments and did not really experience a burn, so to say, so I can't help you there. I still have a little discoloration on the site but other than that, no other symptoms. I will say that the radiaton will creep up on you well after treatments. I experienced fatigue for a while afterwards.

Sorry to here about your toes...Ouch!

Cheryl

Thanks for the encouragement, folks.

Andrea, I broke the toes by walking into a hardwood chest. :roll:

Donna, I hate sitting still. But I think this time has taught me to SLOW DOWN... :roll: And then again maybe not. :wink:

For future reference: If you have a pair of those ugly, rubber gardening clogs you might be able to fit a foot with multiple broken toes that are taped together into it. I can....

Fay, Fay, Fay......

What are we going to do with you???

All wear clogs so you don't feel strange.....

All paint our houses pink.

RE: burns, if they've broken the skin, you can use something like sterile Domesboro soaks to remove the dead tissue, There are sterile gel pads (no joke) that you keep in the fridge and can slap on over the raw spots, and there's just good old solarcaine for spraying them numb.

For non-wound burns, the aloe or any other soothing skin ointment works okay. You start to heal pretty quickly, with a couple days lag time.

Good luck, feel better, and darned right slow down!!..... :lol::lol:

XOXOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Ahhh, Fay.... I was beginning to think the "A" in your name stood for "Amana"! :roll:

I'm SOOOO glad you are finished being nuked, wondering, though, which contractor received the much begged for foot up the butt! :wink: Broken toes-es, not much fun!

Irritation is kinda like a sunburn. It gets a little worse and then it starts to get better by degrees...

I hope you are doing well, my California-tanned babe of a friend...

Becky

Fay,

I so glad your radiation is over and done with! I'm sorry you cracked your toes! I have absolutely no grace either, my mom used to say I was like a "bull in a china shop". If there's something in my path, I usually bang into it. Wishing you the best always.

I'm hoping your rad healing is quick and forgetful Fay. You might even find those dog-gone broken toes can hurt longer than some of those nuke tx's. Either way....my heart hopes that any of your pain....wherever it's coming from.....will be history in your house soon. Deep healing thoughts are coming your way.