Fluid Around the Heart?

kitkathi

Hello All,

Pops is doing really well. His energy level is up pretty high and his appetite is coming back. He still has NED according to his latest scan about a month ago so we feel so blessed. His doctors noticed that he has fluid around his heart. He has been back a few times since they found it (several months ago) and the fluid has not decreased. I think I remember seeing some posts talking about pleural effusion. Is this the same thing? My dad's cardiologist is going on vacation for a week and said when he gets back they will do another echo cardiogram/scan and if it still shows no decrease he will think about draining the fluid. Can anyone out there tell me about this condition? Caused by radiation? Any information would be helpful. Thanks :-)

kitkathi

I recently had a pericardial effusion (fluid around the lining of the heart) and had surgery to drain it. The surgery was no picnic as two chest drainlines were installed. I also had a procedure called a pericardial window done where they actually cut a hole in the lining of the heart, thus creating a "permanent" drain. Yes, the fluid that leaks out is absorbed back into the body. Severe fatigue is one of the major warning signs and immediate attention should be sought if that occurs. Plueral effusions pertain to the lungs. Feel free to pm me anytime.

Cheryl

I have pericardial effusion and recently had an echogram, which showed that it was not interferring with the function of my heart. At this time, just watching. I guess it depends on the extent and the degree of symptoms. Dealing with lung cancer is a real learning process.

Margaret

My pericardial effusion (fluid around the heart) has stayed steady-no increase or decrease. The cardiologist would like to drain it, the oncologist said until it causes more severe symptoms he advised against it. So here I am stuck in the middle. I decided to go with the oncologist advice, after all he is my primary and has gotten me 3 1/2 yrs past the initial diagnosis. And too many cooks in the kitchen can be a disaster. HA!

My symptoms are slight swelling of the ankles and a little more SOB when active.

WARNING: If he should start becoming very short of breath (SOB) or has chest pain he needs to go in -ER if necessary to be checked out. The fluid can increse and cause the heart to stop functioning.

I am getting bi-monthly echocardiograms to check on the effusion.

Hope that helps-

Cindy

Thanks Cindy (everyone) for the information. I will pass this on to my father. He wasn't sure how concerned he should be. He had a heart attack 3 years ago and has to be pretty careful. Would they test the fluid for the possibility of cancer cells? Just a thought.

kitkathi

Yes they would test the fluid. If he has had radiation in that area that can cause a fluid to build up. Also ---cancer---can cause it. Now way to know for sure unless they drain it. Most thinking on this subject is if it is not causing a great problem leave it and do echocardiograms to moniter it.

Draining it is done under anesthesia I believe but surgery is surgery and I DO NOT like it!! :shock:

PM me if you have questions!

Cindy