Lucie's Second Chemo - Part III

Don Wood

I decided to post here instead of "Good News" since we don't know what category the news is yet. Lucie had her sixth Navelbine treatment on Thursday, and we will visit the onc next week to find out what to do next -- scans, more chemo?, etc.

Although this chemo is much milder than Taxotere/Carboplatin, it does tire her. She has been worn out from time to time, and the heat here doesn't help either. She has been having sweats during the day also, even in the air conditioning..

At her cancer support group last Tuesday, Lucie learned about Effexor, an anti-depressant that also treats hot flash symptoms. Lucie had gotten off Celexa, another anti-depressant, so was not taking any. We saw the onc on Thursday and asked him about it. So he prescribed Effexor for her. She is taking it now, isn't sweating and is not as tired.

This is truly a learning experience, but not the school we would have willing signed up for! Her rib occasionally gives her some discomfort, but it not as painful as it was before treatment. Other than that, things are fine here. We will keep you posted.

Don,

Sending prayers that the next scans are nothing but good news. Your Lucie is an amazing woman. I have not been able to have 6 of any chemos yet, it really wipes me out, and look at Lucie, doing fine.

Sounds like you found a good medication for the depression and hot flashes. Hope Lucie continues to be comfortable.

Keep up the good work, Don.

TAnn

Don,

I want to let you know how much I appreciate you and Lucie sharing your journey with me. Sometimes I become discouraged by events, but then I will read one of your updates on how Lucie is handling things, and I find encouragent.

I'll be keeping everything crossed that whatever is decided you and Lucie continue to do well. And thanks for the info on Effexor. The night sweats are beginning to wear me out, and I'm ready for them to stop.

Don and Lucie,

I hope that the chemo gives you the results needed. I got so frustrated this week, because I expected to see the cancer simply vanish. It didn't, but then again, I've only had two treatments thus far. You could say I'm over ambitious! Lucie is amazing. Her determination puts all of us to shame. I am so glad she has gotten some pain relief. Give her my best,

Cheryl

Don,

So glad that Lucie seems to be doing so well considering the circumstances. My son takes effexor for depression after his kidney transplant. It has worked wonders for him. Had no idea it would stop the sweats but its another bit of information that I will keep in the back of my mind. I learn so much here. I pray that the results are great. Will look forward to seeing you post in the good news section next time.

Nina

I took Effexor for a couple of years for hot flashes and night sweats I was experiencing as a side effect from a breast cancer drug, tamoxifen. It helped me and I hope it helps Lucie.....I had small doses, 25 mg twice a day.....

Cindy