Chemo starts again

Justakid

Hey-

Just wanted to ask for support and good thoughts! I start new chemo tomorrow, Taxotere, took my steriods this morning, more tonight and the next two days. Already have some side effects from them (hate steriods).

Scared about the steriod side effects and the benadryl together, along with the chemo. Once they all mix together I know it's not going to be very pretty for me. There is nothing like scheduling a time to be sick or knowing what time you will feel like crap! I was finally starting to feel good after the last treatment.

Having alot of anxiety but can't take anything for it because I'll end up with side affects from that too. Cancer sucks and it just seems to me that at some point it should be fair!

Now I sound like a baby, whining and complaining. But I really DON'T WANT TO DO THIS TOMORROW!!! Wish all of you could go with me for support! :oops:

Gonna try to think happy thoughts and pray it goes smoothly! Thanks for your support!

Beth,

I wish I could go with you too sweetie. Just keep your mind on the end results, that the Taxotere is gonna catch and kill every little c cell in your body.

Ask the drs. for every drug there is that will help you sail through this treatment as easily as possible.

Many prayers and good thoughts for an easy time and a successful result.

Dear Beth,

I'll be thinking about you 'extra hard' tomorrow.

About the steroids - I know they're tough but the Dr. told TBone that the chemo could be LOTS worse if it weren't for them. So I guess they're the lesser of two evils. Let's hope the Taxotere is evil enough to destroy the monster!

ViVi

Beth,

Please don't be offended by my suggetion, but here you are in the 11 hour right before you get Taxotere. Seriously think about other possible options. I am on a trial with CT2103 (Paclitaxol/Carboplatin.) I think it is worth checking out. The side effects are fewer. I did not lose my hair (hopefully won't), nor am I as tired. Plus, I am still able to work full time still. I have experienced some nausea, but controlable with antinausea meds. It is being done around the country too. The chemo binds to the cancer, so is suppose to be more effective. I just started a 20 week serries, so will let you know. People have to explore treatment options. Don't just settle for traditional chemo, especially one with such a violent reaction and nonguaranteed results. It just is not acceptable,that researchers haven't comeup with anything better in the last 30 years. In other words,"we don't have a cure for this disease, but might can add 2 more months of life if you are lucky. Oh, but we will take you as close to death as you can be,you will wish that you were dead, Ha!" We are like cattle going to slaughter. The chemo will definately make you bald and sick- but you might see a 15% reduction in traditional cancer chemo.

Beth, again I don't mean to discourage you, or make you already more apprehensive than you already are. Just consider your options, and you decide the treatment. Doctors offer you what they know, tradtional chemo. Best Wishes, and I will be thinking about you tomorrow.

Cheryl

I wish you the best with this adventure that you are about to go on. It doesn't sound pleasant but if it kills this thing its worth it...I can say that because I never had to go through it yet. You are in my prayers and I will think about you daily as you go through all of this.

Nina

Beth, for one thing, Jim is right, just look at it as one more step towards being well! Dave often would say things like this, last year, and still does.

And I will be there to support you! I will at least stop by with a present for you. I wish I could stop by with a present for each of you, but I will be by to see you tomorrow!

Don't worry sweetie, it's going to be tough but you can and will do it and you will be fine.

God Bless,

Karen

Justakid

Now I sound like a baby, whining and complaining. But I really DON'T WANT TO DO THIS TOMORROW!!!

////////////////

Well, here's my very unpopular reply. Don't go ! Based on your postings and bio you are an ex-smoker that appears to have access to the full spectrum of cancer treatments and medical care, INCLUDING psychiatric services ! Wish we were so fortunate. IMO your persistent negative attitude is self-defeating.

Best of luck tomorrow! It will be all done with before you know it. Hang in there! I know from my mom that for her she got so scared before starting each treatment and the waiting to take it can make you nuts.

I hope it goes very smoothly!

Beth,

I sent you a PM, but I want you to know that even though I'm not the one that has to get the treatments, I understand exactly how you feel. It's very scary to get all of these treatments and you have come to the right place to express your fears and concerns. Nobody wants to go - not ever. Please ignore the mean-spirited response you got above. This is the RIGHT place to vent, rant, express your fears, concerns, yell, scream, whine or complain. GO FOR IT!!

By the way, many people on here have done just fine with Taxotere. Unfortunately, I can't tell you that my husband was one of them, but there have been several that said it didn't give them too much trouble, except maybe fatigue and low counts. You'll be ok, and besides you have all of us pulling for you (well, almost) :lol:

Love,

Peggy

Thank everyone for your support. I trust my Doctor's and they feel this is the best course of action, I seem to be getting more then most that are in my circumstances and Dr. L said as much at our last visit. This website is both a Godsend and a curse. I can get tons of information here and support. I also read diagnosis, stories and problems that make me very unhappy and upset. I thank God that I was able to have my surgery and recovered from it, I also thank him that I was able to handle 33 rounds of radiation and 6 weeks of chemo without completely losing it. I also thank everyone here for helping me through all this.......

Just scared as I am sure everyone is before treatment. I WILL OVERCOME this, get through as many rounds of chemo as physically possible. This new drug is in the same family as my previous chemo so I know what to expect only more intense. I will gladly shave my head and walk around with my head held high, if it means I can spend more time with my husband and children.

Now who is rambling on?! Thank you for listening! If you don't hear from me for a few days then I'm not feeling up to talking, I'll be back (hopefully tomorrow night!) and keep you posted. Thanks again!

Hi Beth,

I hope you will feel better soon. I am certainly sorry you are having such a bad time with your treatmentl. Your are right cancer does suck!

The treament is no better. I am sorry you are having such a hard time. Just think one more out of the way. Keep your chin up.

Best wishes,

Dee

Beth,

Hope that for you Taxotere is relatively easy to tolerate, but rough on the cancer. I know it can go both ways....I've known some who had a horrible time, and others thought it was a piece of cake. You may want to ask your docs for a prescription for Ativan to be taken the night before, the night of, and the night after administration of the steroids you are given to inhibit some of the allergic response symptoms associated with Taxotere. It will help to keep the Steroid Hyper-activity down, plus will help a bit with the sleeplessness as well.

I know how scarey this can all be. And I don't blame you...I don't want to do all of this stuff, either. What I really want is for it to all go away. But it isn't going to do that...YET. I always add the YET. That three letter word keeps me going from one day to the next. I hope it will keep you hopeful, too. As long as I can hold on to the hope found in the word YET I can face just about anything this disease throws my way.

You hand in there. We're rooting for you.

Beth

Thinking of you and hoping all went well. Don't EVER feel you haven't the right to be frightened or that you are "merely" complaining without good reason like another posteron this thread suggested. These are some tough shoes to walk in no matter which shoes we are wearing, and anyone who can't empathize with anyone outside his or her own situation must be having a horrible day, at least that is what I prayed was the case.

love and fortitude

elaine

Hi Everyone -

Althought the steriods kicked me in the butt....I was up ALL night bouncing off the walls, chills, body aches, headache, joint pain, and hot flashes, chemo wasn't too bad. Talked to the Nurse before chemo and the steriods that I take the day before, of and day after were cut in half. Plus I had no additional steriods with the chemo.

Benadryl was also cut out, that was nice because too much of it makes me pass out. The chemo was only 1 1/2 hours, that was cool concidering my previous treatments were 5 hours. They explained that becaue I handled the taxol/carbo combination so well that the taxotere "should" be a breeze.

Anyway, I'm doing OK, expecting a rough night tonight because of the steriods. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, I think they really helped!

I also think that when you discuss your fears with the Dr's and Nurses that if helps a lot. I also discussed some of the responses I received with my infusion nurse and she reassured me and held my hand for a few minutes. My Dr's office has the best infusion nurses!

Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate all your support! There are times that it is much needed!

Bill,

whoever you are, yours was not an appropiate response to JustAkid's post. This is a place to be supportive of members, ESPECIALLY the patients, not cut them down for their very normal and expected feelings. If you cannot be supportive of a patient who is going through this awful disease then keep your mouth (or your fingers shut).

Go find someone else to pick on.

I will also say this is the first time, in my 1.5 years being active on this Board, that I have EVER butted in and given my two cents to an inappopriate post. But you are way out of line, Mr.

Again, this is a place for support not cutting down patients who are very justified in their fears. If you were a 37 year young member with a wonderful husband and two young children that needed you, you might understand. And NO ONE deserves to be cut down because they used to smoke We have NO IDEA that her smoking caused her cancer. And even if if did, it's totally irrelevant now. She has cancer and NO ONE deserves to have cancer. Period.

Karen C.

Beth,

I don't know how I missed this...well, yeah, I do, home connection can be interrupted by phone calls and then all "new posts" disappear...

It's okay to be scared. Really. It's okay to bring that here and share with us where you may not want to share it with your already overburdened (in your eyes) family/husband... This journey really brings a lot to digest. and some very scary "Firsts". From what I have heard, chemo is no fun. I didn't get the chance to experience that whole "IV of poison" for myself, but I'm not a needle person and the IV portion alone would have me in full-scale anxiety mode...

I don't share a lot of my fears with my husband - hell, he thinks I'm a ROCK, why shatter THAT image? I do, however, have a few friends on here that help me out tremendously when my skin starts to crawl and fear grips my brain. Reach out when and where you need to, there's usually someone here that can help.

I am a non-smoker, and I'm walking by your side on this journey. Please don't assume that your smoking sometime in your life has led you down this path, that is not necessarily the case. I can understand some anger from non-smokers with the disease (or their loved ones/caregivers), but do not accept it being directed toward others that are fighting and happen to be smokers. It is misplaced, to say the least.

I would strongly suggest counseling for the emotional aspects of this disease (I have an appointment later today). I would also suggest the same for anyone who would take a call for help and understanding as an opening to spew venom. Take care of YOU, Beth.

Remember to consider the source when receiving advice. You can read into the profiles of others, as well.

I hope you are doing well,

Becky

PS If you're ever 'afraid' to post your true feelings on the board, send me a PM or an email. I'll get back to you as soon as I can, promise.