Spoke too soon

RAY A

Ok, Ok Now I feel like cr*p. I thought I was doing good untill this morning. I woke up feeling like Cr*p and Im here sitting at work and I just wanna go back to bed. Getting a little nauses. I got no sick time of vacation time left or I would go home. I guess I just gotta stick it out.

Any chance you can get some paid days off from work? I know it would have been a real strain financially on us if Hugh had to take time off without pay. If fortunate is a proper word to use, we were in that this happened to Hugh in the fall and he works seasonally so he was about to get a winter lay-off - and talk about weird coincendences - it was the first time layoff ever for him. He took a new job last spring after we decided we could deal with a winter lay-off because we felt he needed a break. Up until then he worked jobs where he had neither sick-time, long-term disability benefits or vacations. Anyway, I think it would have been nearly impossible for him to work during chemo, but his work is really labor intensive. Even sitting in front of a computer and concentrating on it would be a stretch. It was a tough decision but we decided to apply for disability and we view it as "retirement". Maybe its something for you to at least consider. I figure when Hugh is feeling better he can always get off it. Your job right now needs to be to heal and get better. You will be tired and will need rest. You have enough to deal with without adding the stress of going to work feeling lousy.

Ray,

My experience was with Cisplatin rather than Carbo, but each time I had one really horrible day and then it got better. Hang in there--I know the stress of having no more sick or vacation time, Did your doc give you an anti-nausea prescription?

Becky

Hi Ray,

Just a thought, are they giving you Zofran or Anzimet (spelling!) prior to the start of chemo, and then up to five days after? I really believe either of those could help tremendously with the nausea. As for being tired, that's very usual with chemo; maybe you could have your dr. write that you could work a somewhat shorter work day the week you have treatments so you could leave early, go home and rest. it will cost you some money pay-wise, but what you are going through is very difficult and your employer should understand and be willing to accommodate you as long as your work is getting done.

I wish you all the best. Feel better soon :)

Joanie

Theyre probably giving you anti nausea in your IV before chemo. Are they sending you home with anti nausea meds? If they are, take them for the recommended amount of time even if you feel fine. My father has always done that, even with his other bouts of cancer and he never had nausea.

Ray, I am not sure what day you had the chemo, but Lucie doesn't react to her treatment unitl the third or fourth day. She gets a few days of reprieve before it kicks in. So maybe you did speak too soon. Wish you the best throughout your treatment, and especially that it works! Don

Hey Brother Ray,

I have been peaking in on the board when I have time, and I have been following your messages. Just want to share with you that I had Cisplatin and VP-16 and I felt a little crappy after my first treatments, but nothing I couldn't live with. Then from there on it was a breeze!! Other then dehydration on my last chemo session!! OY VEY!!! Talk yourself right out of feeling crappy! You can do this! But, what EVER you do, if you DO feel like crap, take a break and rest!!! It really is important that you do that!

Sorry I haven't been chit chatting to much but things have been hectic here at home. My Grandson had to have surgery last week for his hearing and we learned he has some major hearing loss. Then today I learned that a dear friend's husband passed away from lung cancer. His wife is a STAGE IV lung cancer survivor of 4 years and she is STILL cancer free, but low and behold her dear husband was dx.d 4 months ago and passed away last night. Just breaks my heart! I HATE LUNG CANCER!! Gotta feeling I'm not alone in this boat!!!

I'm cheering you on Brother, and I want you to know your in my prayers each and every day. I KNOW YOU CAN BEAT THIS CRAP!!!

Take it easy, and I'm sending you a HUGE HUG!

((((((((((((((((((((((((RAY))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Love & Hugs & Lots of Support,

When I had chemo with the breast cancer, I took the ativan (lorazapam) along with the anti-nausea drug. A chemo nurse/friend recommended it to me. She said they gave it in the hospital to those chemo patients, and "they didn't even remember they had chemo".

I didn't do this with the first treatment, and I was an emotional wreck. With the last treatment I took it, and told my husband I was going to bed early "but not because I was sick, but because I was stoned". And me, a grown up teacher of kids!!!! :lol:

And, no, I am not addicted to it, rarely take it, and enjoyed every minute of that last chemo. :wink:

Dear Ray,

I am wondering if you could keep a record of how you feel each day after treatment. There may be a pattern. If there is, would it be possible to get chemo on another day, earlier in the week, so that your bad day hits on the weekend? Just a thought.

I am thinking of you Ray and wish you didn't have any discomfort.

Ada

Hey Ray, buddy. Hang in there. You know Ada has a good idea about keeping a log of how you fel and trying to adjust your schedule. Something I started doing was going in a lot earlier, that way I could put in my time and get out early. Don't know if you have a job you could do that with but that is an option. Like I said before, hang in there, drink, drink, drink and keep the good thoughts. My prayers are with you.

David C