Jump to content

Follow up chemo question


Recommended Posts

HI All,

Dad visited with the oncologist at Hopkins yesterday. They feel that they got everything with the lobectomy in august but are recommending follow up chemotherapy. THey have told him that it is preventative and is his choice. They have offered him a clinical trial which is only being done at Sloan, Vanderbilt and Hopkins. It is a combination of Cisplatin and Taxotere. Sounds pretty harsh but they mentioned 5-25% less chance of recurrence as opposed to doing Carbo/Taxol which can be done in our home town. He would be traveling up to Hopkins every week (3 weeks on one week off) for 3 1/2 months. Two of the treatments would take 8 hours. They are offering him to do the chemo on Fridays so he could stay over somewhere up there if he didn't feel up to traveling. This all new to us, he had radiation with the first cancer (head and neck). Any thoughts of choices out there? Side effects of one versus another? Dad is swaying toward the clinical trial because that is what Hopkins recommended. We are just concerned about how toxic, harsh and the side effects. Ultimately it is his decision but we are trying to get him as much information as possible to make the best choice possible. We will back him in whatever he chooses! It was his incredibly positive attitude that got him through it the first time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your Dad wants to go with the doctor's recommendation, I think he should go for it. For someone who is otherwise healthy and strong and in good nutritional status, I believe in taking whatever you can stand, if it will give you the best chance at a great outcome.

Whatever he decides, I know you'll support his decision. He's lucky to have a daughter so caring....

God bless and keep you all strong...



Prayers always...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all of your comments it seems that dad has decided to go with the more aggressive clinical study at Hopkins. He feels that is his best option and that is where he feels most comfortable. He is going through a bit of a depression right now but we are hoping things will start looking up soon. He starts his first treatment on Tuesday and it will go for 3 and 1/2 months. I'll check back in.............

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Off topic: I think it's a toss-up which one is better looking (your dad or your son) and they both have equally winning smiles, but when it comes to CUTE - your baby wins the prize! Everytime I see one of your posts, I just stare at that beautiful baby. He is more-than-adorable!!!

..... and, yes, prayers for successful treatments for your dad!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.