Disappointment!!!!

paddy

Hi There All,

Dave and I went to the Onc. today. He wants to put David on Iressa because he says that the Taxotere has not helped him. David had told me months ago that the Medicair had agreed to cover it, but right there in the Dr's office he told me that they said they "wouldn't" cover it. I really can't believe this as I have been telling everyone how Iressa was considered to be really good for some people etc. etc and hoping that it would do well for Dave. Why didn't Dave say something then!? I can't believe we got our lines so crossed! I cried all the way home, I just couldn't stop.

I thought someone said that Medicair was paying for Iressa now, in fact I am sure I read an article to that fact some time ago.

The Oncologist also asked whether our girls had been up to see theire Dad and we explained why they hadn't been up, and he hinted that there were cheap air fares etc. I think he was trying to say, (in a kind way,) that time is short.

The Oncologist also said that we should not worry about having the colonoscopy which the doctor wanted Dave to have. I agree,- they didn't see any masses etc. Why put the poor man through this proceedure if they can't do anything for him anyway.

Exscuse the screed, I just needed to "talk" and there is no one around to talk to at the moment . Thank Goodness for you guys! Paddy

Thank you so very much Elaine. We will try Medicair again this afternoon armed with this info. My Onc. also gave me an Iressa brochure and we will phone them too.

Thanks to you and Peggy for being there, I am pretty devastated by this but I must take some big breaths and calm myself. Love to you both, Paddy

PS What a Great couple you make Peggy and What's his Name?!

This just makes me sooooooo gosh darn bahumbug suck a duck mad.

I do not understand how life saving drugs are not available to all. I can see (maybe) covering prozac but not paxil b/c they are similar, or allegra and not zyertec. But to not cover Iressa, where there is NOTHING similar is just beyond ridiculous.

I asked my oncologist if there are any programs where you can donate Iressa when you are done with it b/c so many cannot afford it if insurance did not pay and I can't really tell what his response was. He just said there are a lot of people who cannot take it who need it, but for now, keep it in the cabinet in case she goes back on it. So maybe there are such programs???????

Thank You so much Andrea,

As far as I know, the California Law forbids donation of medications. I know I overheard a widower talking to the nurses at the oncoclogist's office about some medication which his wife had not used. She said he could not donate it but he could leave it with them. I wondered what they would do with it!

Paddy.

Paddy,

Call them. Apply through the link Elaine has found... Don't accept "No" for an answer.

A possible game plan:

Take the rest of the week (tomorrow is Friday) off. Digest the news you have received. Accept it. Now move on - first thing Monday morning, call Medicare. Take notes. Note when you call and who you talk to. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Note who you talk to and keep going until someone can help you. Keep track, keep a pad and pen by the phone. Ask the doctor for assistance in getting approval, contact Astra Zeneca about trials in the area (or out, you oncologist could monitor)...

Turn into the rest stop and collect yourself, and keep moving. The news is not what you wanted to hear, give yourself a little time to adjust to yet another "new normal" and set your sights on the next battle.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Becky

I can see both sides I guess--no way to make sure donated medicine is not contaminated. But still, if it can save a life.

Paddy--another suggestion, you are in LA, not sure where your hubby is treated, but call City of Hope and Cedars Cancer Center and ask them if they ahve any information on how to get patients medication like Iressa when itis not covered. I would thik that such big hospitals would ahve someone to at least answer those kind of questions.

Her ONc's office should have a social worker who should be doing this for her. She can apply directly to the drug company and the social worker will do that. The income guidlines are ridiculous, however. And it is hard to imagine that a drug costing 1,800 a month would require an income of less than 34,000, which I think is the case, if I remember correctly.

Paddy, does your onc have social workers on staff? If so call them.

elaine

You will find 4 more trials in below. I am pretty sure medicare pays for trials. Mom mom was on either medicare or medicaid (she was retired) and my parents bills were always VERY small.

Monoclonal Antibody ABX-EGF as Second-Line Therapy in Treating Patients With Stage IIIB or Stage IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

This study is currently recruiting patients.

Sponsored by

Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center

National Cancer Institute (NCI)

Purpose

RATIONALE: Monoclonal antibodies, such as ABX-EGF, can locate tumor cells and either kill them or deliver tumor-killing substances to them without harming normal cells.

PURPOSE: Phase II trial to study the effectiveness of monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF as second-line therapy in treating patients who have stage IIIB or stage IV non-small cell lung cancer.

Condition Treatment or Intervention Phase

recurrent non-small cell lung cancer

stage IIIB non-small cell lung cancer

stage IV non-small cell lung cancer

Drug: monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF

Procedure: antibody therapy

Procedure: biological response modifier therapy

Procedure: monoclonal antibody therapy

Phase II

MedlinePlus related topics: Brain Cancer; Cancer; Cancer Alternative Therapy; Lung Cancer; Respiratory Diseases

Study Type: Interventional

Study Design: Treatment

Official Title: Phase II Study of Monoclonal Antibody ABX-EGF as Second-Line Treatment for Patients With Stage IIIB or IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

Further Study Details:

OBJECTIVES: Primary

Determine the response rate (complete or partial response) in patients with stage IIIB or IV non-small cell lung cancer receiving monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF as second-line treatment after failure on prior paclitaxel and carboplatin.

Secondary

Determine additional measures of clinical efficacy of this drug, including progression-free survival, overall survival, best overall response rate, and time to disease progression, in these patients.

Determine the safety of this drug in these patients.

Determine the pharmacokinetics of this drug in these patients.

OUTLINE: This is an open-label, multicenter study.

Patients receive monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF IV over 1 hour once weekly on weeks 1-6. Treatment repeats every 6 weeks for up to 8 courses in the absence of disease progression, unacceptable toxicity, or a human anti-human antibody response.

Patients are followed at 4 weeks and then every 3 months for up to 2 years.

PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 75 patients will be accrued for this study.

Eligibility

Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years and above, Genders Eligible for Study: Both

Criteria

DISEASE CHARACTERISTICS:

Histologically confirmed non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)

Stage IIIB with pericardial or pleural effusion

Stage IV

Unidimensionally measurable disease

Lesion must be ≥ 20 mm by CT scan or MRI OR ≥ 10 mm by spiral CT scan

Prior radiotherapy to the only site of measurable disease is allowed provided there is progression at that site

Failed prior treatment with carboplatin and paclitaxel on treatment arm 1, part 2, of protocol Immunex-054.0004

Documented disease progression within 6 months of the last dose of chemotherapy

Brain metastases allowed if controlled and asymptomatic with no medications or radiotherapy within the past week

PATIENT CHARACTERISTICS: Age

18 and over

Performance status

ECOG 0-1

Life expectancy

At least 12 weeks

Hematopoietic

Absolute neutrophil count ≥ 1,500/mm^3

Platelet count ≥ 100,000/mm^3

Hepatic

AST and ALT ≤ 3 times upper limit of normal (ULN)

Bilirubin ≤ 1.5 times ULN

Renal

Creatinine clearance > 15 mL/min

Calcium ≤ ULN (treatment for hypercalcemia is allowed)

Cardiovascular

LVEF ≥ 45% by MUGA or echocardiogram

No myocardial infarction within the past year

No symptomatic ventricular arrhythmia

No symptomatic conduction abnormality

Other

HIV negative

No hypersensitivity to any ingredients in the study drug

No hypersensitivity to Staphylococcus aureus protein A

No other malignancy within the past 5 years except basal cell carcinoma or carcinoma in situ of the cervix

No chronic medical condition or laboratory abnormality that would preclude study participation

No psychiatric illness that would preclude study participation or compliance

Not pregnant or nursing

Negative pregnancy test

Fertile patients must use effective contraception during and for 1 month after study participation

PRIOR CONCURRENT THERAPY: Biologic therapy

No prior biologic therapy

Chemotherapy

See Disease Characteristics

No prior chemotherapy except paclitaxel and carboplatin

At least 30 days since prior paclitaxel/carboplatin treatment

Endocrine therapy

Prior steroid therapy for NSCLC allowed

At least 1 week since prior steroid therapy for brain metastases

Radiotherapy

At least 1 week since prior radiotherapy for brain metastases

More than 2 weeks since prior radiotherapy

No concurrent radiotherapy

Concurrent local radiotherapy to bone lesions allowed provided no more than 10% of bone marrow is irradiated and lesions are not being evaluated to assess response

Surgery

Prior surgery for NSCLC allowed

Other

No other prior therapy for NSCLC

More than 30 days since prior investigational therapy

No concurrent antihypercalcemic treatment as cancer therapy for bone disease

No other concurrent experimental medications

Location and Contact Information

California

Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, California, 90095, United States; Recruiting

Diane Prager, MD 310-794-7758

Study chairs or principal investigators

Diane Prager, MD, Principal Investigator, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center

More Information

Clinical trial summary from the National Cancer Institute's PDQ® database

Study ID Numbers: CDR0000355113; UCLA-0308088; IMMUNEX-054.0008; AMGEN-20025408; ABX-0308

Record last reviewed: February 2004

Record first received: March 8, 2004

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00079209

ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record on 2004-09-09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABT-751 in Treating Patients With Stage IIIB or Stage IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer That is Refractory to Taxane Therapy

Sponsored by

Purpose

RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as ABT-751, work in different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die.

PURPOSE: Phase II trial to study the effectiveness of ABT-751 in treating patients who have stage IIIB or stage IV non-small cell lung cancer that is refractory to taxane therapy (such as paclitaxel or docetaxel).

recurrent non-small cell lung cancer

stage IIIB non-small cell lung cancer

stage IV non-small cell lung cancer

Drug: ABT-751

Procedure: chemotherapy

Phase II

MedlinePlus related topics: Brain Cancer; Cancer; Cancer Alternative Therapy; Lung Cancer; Respiratory Diseases

Official Title: Phase II Study of ABT-751 in Patients With Stage IIIB or IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Refractory to Taxane Therapy

Further Study Details:

OBJECTIVES: Primary

Determine the objective response rate (partial and complete responses) in patients with stage IIIB or IV non-small cell lung cancer refractory to taxane therapy when treated with ABT-751.

Secondary

Determine the time to progression in patients treated with this drug.

Determine the survival of patients treated with this drug.

Determine the duration of overall response in patients treated with this drug.

Determine the toxic effects of this drug in these patients.

OUTLINE: This is an open-label, multicenter study.

Patients receive oral ABT-751 once daily on days 1-21. Courses repeat every 28 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.

Patients are followed every 3 months for up to 2 years.

PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 30 patients will be accrued for this study.

Eligibility

Criteria

DISEASE CHARACTERISTICS:

Histologically or cytologically confirmed non-small cell lung cancer

Stage IIIB or IV disease

Refractory to at least 2 courses (6 weeks) of prior taxane therapy (e.g., paclitaxel or docetaxel)

Disease progression during or within 9 weeks of completing taxane therapy in the adjuvant setting OR during or within 24 weeks of completing taxane therapy in the metastatic setting

Measurable disease

No known CNS metastasis

18 and over

Performance status

ECOG 0-2

Life expectancy

Not specified

Hematopoietic

Absolute neutrophil count ≥ 1,200/mm^3

Hemoglobin ≥ 9.0 g/dL

Platelet count ≥ 100,000/mm^3

Hepatic

AST and ALT ≤ 2.5 times upper limit of normal (ULN) (5 times ULN if liver metastases are present)

Bilirubin ≤ 2 mg/dL (3.0 mg/dL if liver metastases are present)

Renal

Creatinine ≤ 2 mg/dL

Cardiovascular

No unstable cardiovascular conditions

No uncontrolled hypertension

No angina

No New York Heart Association class III congestive heart failure within the past 6 months

No myocardial infarction within the past 6 months

Other

Not pregnant or nursing

Negative pregnancy test

Fertile patients must use effective contraception during and for 2 months after study participation

No neurology category findings greater than grade 1 (e.g., paresthesia, deep tendon reflexes, or weakness that is subjective and/or does not interfere with function)

No allergy to sulfa medications

No other clinically significant medical condition that would preclude study participation

No other prior or concurrent malignancies except for the following:

Adequately treated carcinoma in situ of the cervix

Basal cell or squamous cell skin cancer

Prior nonpulmonary malignancy confined and surgically resected with no evidence of disease within the past 3 years

No hematopoietic growth factors given concurrently with study drug

Chemotherapy

No more than 2 prior chemotherapy regimens

Endocrine therapy

Not specified

Radiotherapy

Surgery

More than 6 months since prior coronary angioplasty or stenting

No concurrent surgery

Other

More than 4 weeks since prior antitumor therapy

No more than 1 prior investigational agent given alone or with standard taxane therapy

No concurrent colchicine

No other concurrent investigational agents

No other concurrent anticancer therapy

California

Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, California, 90095-5907, United States; Recruiting

Robert Alan Figlin, MD, FACP 310-825-5788 rfiglin@mednet.ucla.edu

Robert Alan Figlin, MD, FACP, Principal Investigator, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center

More Information

Study ID Numbers: CDR0000355130; UCLA-0308111; ABBOTT-M02-448

Record first received: April 7, 2004

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00080730

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZD6474 and Docetaxel in Treating Patients With Locally Advanced or Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

Sponsored by

Purpose

RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. ZD6474 may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking the enzymes necessary for tumor cell growth.

PURPOSE: Randomizedphase II trial to compare the effectiveness of different regimens of ZD6474 combined with docetaxel in treating patients who have locally advanced or metastaticnon-small cell lung cancer that is refractory to platinum-based chemotherapy.

Non-small cell lung cancer

Drug: ZD6474

Drug: docetaxel

Procedure: anti-cytokine therapy

Procedure: antiangiogenesis therapy

Procedure: chemotherapy

Procedure: enzyme inhibitor therapy

Procedure: growth factor antagonist therapy

Procedure: protein tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy

Phase II

MedlinePlus related topics: Cancer; Cancer Alternative Therapy; Lung Cancer; Respiratory Diseases

Official Title: Phase II Randomized Study of ZD6474 and Docetaxel in Patients With Locally Advanced or Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Refractory to Platinum-Based Chemotherapy

Further Study Details:

OBJECTIVES:

Compare the efficacy of ZD6474 and docetaxel vs docetaxel and placebo, in terms of progression-free survival, in patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer refractory to platinum-based chemotherapy.

Compare the tolerability and safety of these regimens, in terms of incidence and nature of adverse effects and electrocardiogram changes, in these patients.

Compare the objective response rate and duration of response of patients treated with these regimens.

Compare the pharmacokinetics of these regimens in these patients.

Compare the overall survival of patients treated with these regimens.

Compare objective tumor response and progression-free survival with the biological assessment of these regimens in these patients.

Compare quality of life, lung cancer symptoms, and performance status of patients treated with these regimens.

OUTLINE: This is a multicenter, two-phase study comprising an open-label phase followed by a double-blind, randomized phase.

Open-label phase: Patients receive docetaxel IV over 1 hour on day 1 and oral ZD6474 once daily beginning on day 2. Treatment repeats every 21 days for a maximum of 6 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.

Patients are randomized to 1 of 3 treatment arms.

Arm I: Patients receive docetaxel IV over 1 hour on day 1 and oral ZD6474 once daily beginning on day 1.

Arm II: Patients receive docetaxel as in arm I and ZD6474 as in arm I but at a higher dose.

Patients receive docetaxel as in arm I and oral placebo once daily beginning on day 1. In all arms, courses repeat every 21 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.

Quality of life is assessed at baseline, after the first 4 courses, and then after every other course thereafter.

Patients are followed at 30 days and then every 6 weeks thereafter.

PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 129 patients (9 patients for the open-label phase, 120 patients [40 per treatment arm] for the randomized phase) will be accrued for this study within approximately 8 months (3 months for the open-label phase, 5 months for the randomized phase).

Eligibility

Criteria

DISEASE CHARACTERISTICS:

Histologically or cytologically confirmed non-small cell lung cancer

Locally advanced or metastatic disease (stage IB-IV)

No mixed small cell histology

No bronchoalveolar carcinoma

Failed first-line platinum-based chemotherapy

At least one unidimensionally measurable lesion

At least 20 mm by conventional techniques OR at least 10 mm by spiral CT scan

No brain metastases or spinal cord compression unless treated at least 4 weeks before study and stable without steroids for at least 1 week

18 and over

Performance status

WHO 0-1

Life expectancy

At least 12 weeks

Hematopoietic

Neutrophil count at least 1,500/mm^3

Platelet count at least 100,000/mm^3

Hepatic

Bilirubin no greater than upper limit of normal (ULN)

AST and ALT no greater than 1.5 times ULN

Alkaline phosphatase no greater than 2.5 times ULN

No hepatitis B

Renal

Creatinine no greater than 1.5 times ULN

Calcium (adjusted for albumin) normal

Cardiovascular

No significant cardiovascular disease

No symptomatic heart failure or angina within the past 3 months

No cardiac disease that increases risk of a ventricular arrhythmia

No clinically significant arrhythmia (e.g., multifocal premature ventricular contractions, bigeminy, trigeminy, or ventricular tachycardia) that is symptomatic or requires treatment

No symptomatic sustained ventricular tachycardia

No chronic atrial fibrillation

No history of QT prolongation with other medications

No congenital long QT syndrome

No QTc with Bazett's correction unmeasurable or more than 460 msec by screening electrocardiogram

LVEF at least 45% by MUGA (for patients with prior anthracycline therapy with total dose greater than 450 mg/m^2)

Pulmonary

Oxygen saturation at least 90% on room air

No requirement for supplemental oxygen

Other

Not pregnant or nursing

Negative pregnancy test

Fertile patients must use effective double-barrier contraception

No known hypersensitivity to drugs formulated with polysorbate 80

HIV negative

No severe or uncontrolled systemic disease

Magnesium normal

Potassium at least 4.0 meq/L

More than 6 weeks since prior suramin

No concurrent biological response modifiers (including cytokines)

Chemotherapy

Prior docetaxel or paclitaxel allowed

More than 4 weeks since prior chemotherapy (6 weeks for nitrosoureas or mitomycin)

Endocrine therapy

No concurrent hormonal therapy for cancer

Radiotherapy

No prior chest radiotherapy

More than 4 weeks since other prior radiotherapy

Surgery

Not specified

Other

No prior agents that block the endothelial growth factor (EGF) or vascular EGF pathways

More than 4 weeks since prior systemic anticancer therapy

More than 4 weeks since prior investigational agents

More than 2 weeks since prior, and no concurrent, treatment with any of the following:

Amiodarone

Chlorpromazine

Ketoconazole

Itraconazole

Troleandomycin

Erythromycin

Diltiazem

Verapamil

Phenytoin

Carbamazepine

Rifampin

More than 4 weeks since prior barbiturates

More than 2 weeks since prior therapeutic-dose warfarin

No concurrent therapeutic-dose warfarin

No concurrent barbiturates

No concurrent medications known to affect QTc

No concurrent medications known to prolong QT interval or induce Torsade de Pointes

No other concurrent anticancer therapy

No other concurrent cytotoxic therapy for cancer

No other concurrent investigational agents

Low dose-warfarin for catheter clot prophylaxis allowed

California

Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, California, 90095, United States; Recruiting

Diane Prager, MD 310-794-7758

Diane Prager, MD, Principal Investigator, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center

More Information

Study ID Numbers: CDR0000269881; UCLA-0208009; ZENECA-6474IL/0006

Record last reviewed: January 2003

Record first received: February 5, 2003

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00054093

Monoclonal Antibody ABX-EGF in Treating Patients With Renal (Kidney), Prostate, Pancreatic, Non-Small Cell Lung, Colon or Rectal, Esophageal, or Gastroesophageal Junction Cancer

Sponsored by

Purpose

RATIONALE: Monoclonal antibodies such as ABX-EGF can locate tumor cells and either kill them or deliver tumor-killing substances to them without harming normal cells.

PURPOSE: Phase I trial to study the effectiveness of monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF in treating patients who have either renal (kidney), prostate, pancreatic, non-small cell lung, colon, rectal, esophageal, or gastroesophageal junction cancer.

Colorectal Cancer

Esophageal Cancer

kidney tumor

Lung Cancer

Pancreatic Cancer

Prostate Cancer

Drug: monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF

Procedure: antibody therapy

Procedure: monoclonal antibody therapy

Phase I

MedlinePlus related topics: Colorectal Cancer; Esophageal Cancer; Kidney Cancer; Lung Cancer; Pancreatic Cancer; Prostate Cancer

Official Title: Phase I Study of Monoclonal Antibody ABX-EGF in Patients With Renal, Prostate, Pancreatic, Non-Small Cell Lung, Colorectal, Esophageal, or Gastroesophageal Junction Cancer

Further Study Details:

OBJECTIVES:

Determine the safety of monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF in patients with renal, prostate, pancreatic, non-small cell lung, colorectal, esophageal, or gastroesophageal junction cancer.

Determine the pharmacokinetics and the dose-response relationship of this drug in this patient population.

Evaluate the clinical effect of this drug in this patient population.

OUTLINE: This is an open-label, dose-escalation, multicenter study.

Patients receive monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF IV over 1 hour once weekly on weeks 0-3* (enrollment for the weekly dosing schedule completed as of 4/21/03 [with the exception of patients undergoing full pharmacokinetic analyses, described below]) OR once every 2 weeks on weeks 0, 2, 4, and 6* OR once every 3 weeks on weeks 0, 3, 6, and 9*. Patients undergoing full pharmacokinetic analyses receive a loading dose on week 0 and the subsequent 3 doses on weeks 3-5.

NOTE: *All patients receive a total of 4 doses.

Cohorts of 2-8 patients receive escalating doses of monoclonal antibody ABX-EGF until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which at least 2 or 3 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity.

Patients are followed every 2 weeks for 5 weeks.

PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 76 patients will be accrued for this study within approximately 14 months.

Eligibility

Criteria

DISEASE CHARACTERISTICS:

Histologically confirmed diagnosis of 1 of the following:

Renal cell cancer (RCC)

Prior nephrectomy required

Prostate cancer

Failed prior primary therapy (e.g., surgery, radiotherapy, or chemotherapy)

Failed prior hormonal therapy (e.g., antiandrogen, luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone inhibitor, or orchiectomy)

Pancreatic cancer

Failed at least 1 prior standard therapy regimen for unresectable metastatic disease

Non-small cell lung cancer

Failed at least 1 prior standard therapy regimen for unresectable metastatic disease

Colorectal cancer

Received 1 or more prior chemotherapy regimen(s) for advanced metastatic disease

Esophageal cancer

Failed prior primary therapy (e.g., surgery, radiotherapy, or chemotherapy)

Gastroesophageal junction cancer

Evaluable disease

Epidermal growth factor receptor overexpression

Tumor tissue must yield the sum of 1+, 2+, or 3+ staining in at least 10% of evaluated tumor cells

No uncontrolled brain metastases

No evidence of disease progression or regression after a 30-day washout period

PATIENT CHARACTERISTICS: Age:

18 and over

Performance status:

Karnofsky 70-100% OR

ECOG 0-1

Life expectancy:

Not specified

Hematopoietic:

Absolute neutrophil count greater than 1,000/mm^3

Platelet count greater than 100,000/mm^3

Hepatic:

AST/ALT no greater than 2 times upper limit of normal (ULN) (3 times ULN for liver metastases)

Alkaline phosphatase no greater than 2 times ULN (3 times ULN for liver metastases)

Renal:

Creatinine less than 2.2 mg/dL

NCI renal toxicity no greater than grade 2

No hypercalcemia (antihypercalcemic therapy allowed)

Cardiovascular:

Ejection fraction at least 45% by MUGA

No abnormal ECG or MUGA

No myocardial infarction within the past year

Pulmonary:

No abnormal chest x-ray

FEV_1 greater than 50% of predicted

Other:

No known allergy to ingredients of study drug

No known allergy to Staphylococcus aureus Protein A

HIV negative

No chronic medical or psychiatric condition that would preclude study compliance

Not pregnant or nursing

Negative pregnancy test

Fertile patients must use effective contraception during and for 2 months after study participation

PRIOR CONCURRENT THERAPY: Biologic therapy:

At least 30 days since prior biologic therapy (e.g., antibodies, cytokines, or co-stimulatory pathway inhibitors)

No other concurrent biologic therapy

Chemotherapy:

At least 6 weeks since prior chemotherapy and recovered

No prior chemotherapy for RCC

No prior anthracyclines

No concurrent chemotherapy

Endocrine therapy:

Concurrent steroids allowed

Concurrent hormonal therapy allowed

Radiotherapy:

No prior mediastinal radiotherapy

Surgery:

Recovered from any recent prior surgery

Other:

At least 30 days since prior investigational drug or device

At least 30 days since prior systemic therapy

No other concurrent investigational drugs

No other concurrent systemic agents or cancer therapy

California

Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, California, 90095-1738, United States; Recruiting

Arie Belldegrun, MD, FACS 310-794-6584 abelldeg@surgery.medsch.ucla.edu

Pennsylvania

Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19111, United States; Recruiting

Louis M. Weiner, MD 215-728-2480 lm_weiner@fccc.edu

Arie Belldegrun, MD, FACS, Principal Investigator, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center

More Information

Study ID Numbers: CDR0000067539; UCLA-9906078; ABX-EG-9901; UCLA-9906078-04B; NCI-G00-1673

Record first received: March 7, 2000

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00004879

Paddy,

I'm so sorry that you guys are in a rough patch right now. There is an assistance program for Iressa. Contact the manufacturer through their website. Sorry I don't have the site address, but if you search for Iressa, you will find it easily. (I did) One of the first things that Dad's doctor asked was if he needed assistance getting the Iressa. Paddy, there is a way to get the Iressa. Don't give up. Take a deep breath and starting digging in. You WILL find a way to get it. I just know it.

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Thank you all so very much. Your info is all very usefull and we intend to "work the phones" as soon as possible. Thank you too for all your good wishes and prayers they really lift my heart. I consider you all my/our very good friends.Paddy

PS. Thank You Katy B, I am working on it! Paddy

Just to let you know that we have applied for forms to get into a "demonstration" of Iressa, as per Elain's suggestion. When we first asked , the "technician?" said they didn't cover any cancer medications taken by mouth . We told them that we had it from Yahoo News that they did!"The fellow then apologized and said he had forgotten about that! He then agreed to send us the forms. We have to receive the files, fill them in, get our Oncologists approval and then get them back to the medicare by September 30th. I believe it is a sort of lottery, and I am not sure how long you wait once you are accepted. In the meantime I am trying to get the onc's office to get an appointment to start Gemsar. I phoned early this morning and I still haven't had a reply! I shall be phoning again soon!

Thanks All , Paddy.

Paddy,

I was only too happy to help in some way. I am still at a loss for words at the "technician's" memory loss or whatever you might call it!! A lottery sounds so heartless, soesn't it?

I hope things work out and I am glad you have a plan in place.

My best to you both.

love and fortitude

elaine

Paddy--

I wish I had useful information for you... Thank goodness for all the others on this site (and what fighters that all are!). :)

Please know that our thoughst and prayers are with you after such a difficult--and disheartening!--appointment.

Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Melinda and Geoff

Paddy,

I have been away so I am sorry I am late posting. I find it incomprehensible that any human being would be denied life saving medication.

I would try every place - Alcase, the American Cancer Society, the drug company, your doctor, your hospital, your church. Since the news seems to be very encouraging with Iressa, the drug company should be recouping their research expense quickly I would think, so that may be your best chance.

Don't give up hope Paddy, I know David will get the meds he needs.