New chemo update

Justakid

Had my first treatment with Taxotere that I had done a post on a few days ago. Wow this was fast compared to Taxol/Carbo treatment. Only had anti-nausea meds and then the chemo.

Had lots of problems with steriods which we cut the doseage into a third. Real real real tired today, which is surprising after all the other radiation and chemo that I have had that now I am totally exhausted! Go figure, I just can't follow the rules!

Lots of pain from my hips down to my toes, hard to walk. But hey if this is a bad as it gets, bring it on buddy! This is in no way as bad as my very first chemo treatment back on 06/28.

Now that it's under my belt, I'm feeling pretty good about the rest. Although I am sure that they will get worse as my body gets run down. Got till the 27th to worry about that though!

Just thought I would fill ya'll in after being so nervous before!

Anyone have alot of indigestion from Taxotere? Seems worse then usual and I'm taking all my regular drugs!

Thanks!

(((Beth))))

I'm glad it went relativly well. Acid Indigestion was my biggest complaint, and Medicaid didn't want me to have meds for it. I sucked down milk and antiacids for months. We finally found out I had an ulcer and they finally gave me the meds I needed. Caused by the chemo! I seem to get weird side effects.

Blessings

Betty

Yes, Lucie had nausea and acid reflux from the Taxotere. She took Nexium for the acid reflux (got off it after chemo) and, for the nausea, she had medications. The best thing for the nausea was to have snacks every two hours instead of three big meals. The stomach seemed to like it better when it had something in it. Good luck on the rest of the treatment. Don

Hi Beth, glad you seem to be tolerating the chemo ok. I had to have the steroids cut too. I would have 1 day of Zofran/Decadron, Carbo and VP16, then 2 days of Zofran/Decadron and VP16. Days 4-7 I would be junk - low blood pressure, very tired - they finally decided that I only needed the Decadron the first day only. It worked this time (had my last chemo today). I guess the steroid is considered an "upper" and then I would "crash".

You just hang in there and rest when you need to. Take care of yourself.

Hugs,

Nancy B

Hi Beth,

I wanted you to know that I just finished my 11th Taxotere treatment. Before that I had Gemzar and Cisplatin. The Taxotere has been much easier for me. The fatigue hits me the 2nd day after treatment and last for several days. I could actually stay in bed 19 out of 24 hours. The acid reflux can be handled easily with Zantac or other medications. I am totally back on my feet and ready to rock and roll within 5 days after treatment for another 3 weeks. In fact, I am going on a 10 day trip to England for a dream antiquing trip in 2 weeks. I will have chemo when I get back.

So, the point is that this is very do-able. I have now survived chemo for nine months. It's not reducing my cancer, but it has kept it stable with no new growths. You hang in there. It's been three years and 2 lobectomies later for me and I'm still fightin!! Do it with me girlfriend!

Take care,

CathyR

Hi Beth,

Glad to hear your chemo went well. Rest, Rest, Rest. I know that is the hardest thing for me on this chemo - I am not a "rester" I get very discouraged when I can't do things that need to get done - but I have learned to rest when I need to, and I do all I can when I have some energy. That works much better for me - physically and mentally.

Take Care.

Carrie

Hi Beth, Im so glad to hear you are handling it ok, Mom is doing ok to, pretty bad indigestion, and tired too, and actually says the same thing about her toes aching...she now gets a wonderful and soothing foot massage everyday.

you are in my thought and prayers everyday

Kim

P.S. Mom asked about you the other day and sends you her get better wishes...Yippee maybe she is coming around and will come visit the board one day

Peggy, thank you for the information about Beth.

I hope the doctor can give her something to make her more comfortable. It is amazing how differently everyone reacts to the different treatments. Someday maybe they will have a blood test or something to help determine someone's reaction to the different drugs.

Beth, we continue to pray for you. (((((HUGS)))))

Thanks Guys! Thanks Peggy!

Don;t want to discourage anyone with their treatment but OH BOY am I in pain!

Finally called the Dr. today and we are trying new pain meds and he said if they didn;t work to go to the emergency room. Guess I have reached my limit, I tried but WOW it's pretty bad. Every 3 hours like clockwork the pain comes back and it brings you to your knees. Went on the internet and looked for side affects of Taxotere and pain is one of the rare ones in a few cases.

Once again I'm the lucky one. Plus I have thrush all over my mouth and throat. I still think we should write a book on me "anything that can happen will happen" Go figure.

Right know I am getting my hour of OK I can move around and handle things, I'll be in a pile on the floor here soon.

Thanks for your support! I'm hanging on by my nails! Guess we'll be trying new chemo treatment next time! Not doing this again!

Just got home from 8hrs in the ER. All the lab work, EKG, CAT Scans came back clean. In other words I was having pain from the chemo. My potasium was a little low, too.

Got some demerol to go with the percocet for pain, I'll be making little cocktails! Talked to David C's Dr when I was in the ER, will see my Dr at 9am tomorrow, wonder what she'll say.

Will let ya'll know the next plan of attack!

Hi Beth.

I don't get into this forum often enough, but I just want to say to you what inspiration I get from reading your posts. Your determination and "bring it on - is that as bad as it gets?" attitude is amazing!!! I can never assume that I even remotely know what you, Betty, Cathy, Nancy, and everyone else on treatment is going through -- I somehow almost feel cheated that I missed having these treatments you all are talking about. But I certainly admire how you handle the effects of your treatment with such courage, and still manage to post advice for others. All of you who have ever undergone, or are currently undergoing treatments are my kind of heros. Please keep that bring it on attitude close to your hearts. Take care Beth, and good luck with the rest of your treatments.

David P.

Beth,

I was late getting to this thread and thought, "Oh hurray, maybe this'll work out for you.' Then darn, I found out how bad it kicked you when your back was turned. I'm sending up some prayers right now that things will turn around in only a good way soon.