He's off to the Smokies!

stand4hope

Well, my hubby took off for a 3-day motorcycle trip to the Smokies early this morning. I'm really proud of him for doing this, and supported the trip 100%. This is what he loves to do!

Some of you will remember that he missed taking this trip last spring because of treatment and he was very depressed about it. I think he was a little hesitant because he isn't 100%, but he is feeling pretty good, has got a lot of his strength back, and decided to go for it. I, of course, am a little worried because I know he's just not as strong as he was before and he gets tired quicker. He is definitely strong enough to take this trip, but I have a feeling he might not drive as many miles in one day as he would have before lc. We'll see.

Even though I'm a little worried, I am thrilled that he is not willing to lay down and give up. He continues to work every day and chooses to live a normal life. There are some changes, of course, since his body has been through so much, but if you read his profile, I think you will be as thrilled as I am to see that he is doing so well.

...... I sure will be glad when he's back home, though. :wink:

Love to all,

Peggy

Peggy,I think it's great that he went on this trip.He has a lot of guts.I have had so many different weird troubles since lc that even tho I'm pretty active I still worry something will go wrong if I'm far away from home.(already has a couple times).He is deserving of a lot of credit.Hope his trip goes well & he enjoys it.

Peggy,

If he drives less miles per day, he'll be seeing more of the miles he drives - that's not all bad!

I'm glad he went on the trip and know you'll be on pins and needles until he gets home - but how much of that has TRULY changed from other trips he has been on? Prior to LC there were many "possibles" on the road and he made it fine...try not to worry.

Enjoy the quiet time in the house - lock yourself in the bathroom with the oldies station blaring and a bottle of wine and bubbles in the tub...

Becky

400 miles today (Indy to Eastern Tennessee). He did fine. He said he was very tired, but doing ok, and he also said he did better than he thought he would. He called at 5:00 our time, and I called him back at 5:45 and he was already asleep. He said it was worth it, though, because it was a beautiful ride and the weather was perfect. He will bring back a lot of beautiful pictures. He's an amateur photographer and always gets some really awesome shots.

Becky, I grinned at what you said. Yep! You're right. It was no different before cancer. I worried then, too. He is a good, defensive and safe driver, wears all the protective gear, etc., but I still worry. Like Frank said, the only thing added this year is I guess I have to admit I was a little afraid he might get down there and have a hard time getting back if it was too much for him. I've never ridden that far myself, but I understand that it's pretty grueling and kind of tough on your body to drive that far on a motorcycle. Anyway, I will be holding my breath until I hear the deep rumble of that very large machine in the driveway.

Thank you all for the good wishes. This was so routine before - once a year. Now it just feels like a big deal and I'm glad I've got you guys to share it with. Not only is it a big deal, but I will forever be grateful that he got to take this trip and will be praying there will be another one in the spring.

Love to all,

Peggy

P.S. We're fresh out of wine, Becky, but I'm off to find my oldies tapes and the bubble bath. I've got a lot of both!!

400 miles in one day on a motorcycle!! Youch - makes me sore to even think about it. Peggy, I was so thrilled to read this post. Can't wait to share it with Steve. Your hubby is one awesome guy (but that's why you married him, of course :wink: ). Keep us updated.

p.s. Love the new picture of you two - now I can put some faces in that beautiful backyard :D

He's home safe and sound and he had a great trip. He said he only drove through one 15-minute rain storm, but the weather was perfect the rest of the time. He's on vacation all week, and said he did so well and enjoyed it so much that he might pack up and go somewhere else before the week's over. :lol:

Peggy