viatical settlement for life ins policy

cindi o'h

I haven't read anything from anyone re: this subject. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with selling your life insurance policy. It is my understanding that there is a way to collect on a percentage of the face value of your life insurance policy so that you can use the $$ while you are still living. I applied with one company, but was turned down....I am 22 months out from dx and the chances of my imminent death have decreased, they say with time. They say according to their MD's who did the underwriting that I have a 20-40% chance of surviving to five years. Anyway, I plan to apply with other companies. But, I have read where some companies are unethical and to watch out for them. But I don't know what to watch out for. Anyone with any experience here? I don't have any post mortem obligations, but I have plenty of living obligations. Thank you all. Cindi O'H Stage lllb 11/02. NSCLC