Sister with nsc lung cancer, brain mets & stroke

mamarama

My 49 year old sister was dx with nsc lung cancer in May 2002. She has fought very bravely for the past two years with chemo, radiation, gamma knife treatment for brain mets, and even suffered a stroke as a result of all this. She has gone from 180 lbs. to 110 lbs. and is now in a hospice program. She lives alone, never married and has a dog. I think the hardest thing for our family is not the lung cancer, but the stroke, which has left her with aphasia. Sometimes, she is unable to communicate with us and to understand. I feel so bad for her. At least dying people who can still communicate can let their loved ones know their wishes. There are five sisters in our family and she is the baby sis. We are all trying to do whatever we can for her, but it is very hard, especially when she can't even talk on the phone to you or understand what you are trying to tell her. Dealing with lunger cancer is bad enough, but to get slapped with a stroke besides in a double whammy. Sorry about the rambling on, but I guess no one said life was fair. Thanks for listening.

marge

Dear Marge,

My heart goes out to you, how terribly sad for you and your sister and family. I think I have an inkling of what you must be going through. My husband has had two strokes, one massive one before cancer which paralysed him on the left side, and one mild one recently . When the second one hit, he was unable to speak for about ten minutes and I remember the fear I felt, thinking that it might be permanent. I wish I could come and give you a big hug. Instead I will send heartfelt prayers for a miracle for your sister. Lots of love, Paddy.

So sorry about your sis, I know how sad you are not being able to communicate with her. The same thing happened to me and my sister. She was dying of breast cancer, and had to have an emergency tracheotomy because of cancer in her throat. She couldn't talk anymore, the last 3 wks of her life. It was very hard to deal with. I did know she wanted to come home to die, and so hospice came and she died in my home in the living room. I felt so honored that she wanted to die at my home. She had 3 daughters and was divorced. I was the one she wanted to spend her last days with and that was comforting to me. She was also younger than me. Its so sad to lose a little sister. May God help us all thru this horrible disease. Just let her know how much you love her and she will understand that for sure! Take care,

Tess