Dad Now In Hospice Care

DianeR

As of today my dad is in hospice care. He put up a great battle with this beast and I admire him more than ever for the fight he gave it!

I was one who did not post often, but still got so much support from this website. It gave me much information and hope. I could not have made it through the last 8 months without that HOPE! I want to thank Katie & Rick because I am sure there are many others, like myself, who you are unaware of all the help this site gives to us.

My dad was told on Thursday that there wasn't much more that could be done. He didn't have much success with either chemo and the cancer continued to progress. The chemo was doing more harm then good to him. I was devastated by this news (even though I knew it was coming).

I got all the info on hospice and when I walked out in the hall of the Dr.'s office there was my dad smiling and talking to a little girl (about 2 yrs. old) tellling her how pretty she looked in her outfit and bringing a smile to the girl's face even when he was suffering so much. That's just the great person he is and one more wonderful memory of my dad I get to add to the million others I already have of him!!! I feel like the luckiest person in the world to be able to call this man "MY DAD". He is one very special person who this beast will never steal from me. He will always live on in my heart and memories. I LOVE YOU DADDY!

DianeR

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

As trite as it may sound, make the best of the time you have. Let your heart talk, not your head....talk, talk, talk....talk to the hospice workers get to know them as well as you can, it does make a difference in the care.

There are several good books to read as you enter this stage of your dad's life...."Final Gifts" changed my outlook on death in general and very specifically as I dealt with my Mom's final days.

I pray that you have peace and comfort.....and that your Dad is able to enjoy this last journey as much as possible.

Diane,

I could have signed my name to your post. Your dad sounds like a cheerful, optimistic, happy person like my dad was. I remember when I had to tell him that there was nothing more they could do, and I got weepy. He made a silly grin at me and gave me the Jackie Gleason punch and made me laugh. He was 76 years old and teased and flirted with the nurses almost to the day of his death. Your last days with him will be the most precious days to you. I hope you get to be involved in his care a lot because it is really a blessing to be able to do it, and you will be so warm inside knowing how much you helped him. Applying a cool cloth to his forehead when he's hot, fluffing his pillow, covering his feet when they get cold with an extra blanket, helping him drink cool water, wiping the spills from his chin, feeding him, combing his hair, filing his fingernails - all of these things will be precious memories. Do as much of these things as you can. You will be glad you did.

All my love and prayers,

Peggy

Diane,

I read your post and you say:

My dad was told on Thursday that there wasn't much more that could be done

My sister-in-law was told the same thing today about my brother. It is a very sad day. Those words are so hard to accept. Please know I am praying for you, for strength to get you through this very difficult time.

D

I'm crying right along with you and Katie B. You sound like you've got such a great relationship with your Daddy . . . now you've got some time to make it even more so.

I also highly recommend that you read Final Gifts or Crossing the Creek (www.crossingthecreek.com) for information about what to expect and how you can best help your Dad now.

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa