Update to "new" chemo treatment

Justakid

Thought I would start a new strand of postings..........

Started Taxotere Tuesday, reacted to steriods so the doseage was reduced. Felt pretty good Wed-Thurs, FRIDAY it happened.

Pain from head to toe. Saturday extreme pain, unable to think clearly begged for someone the kill me, Sunday, extreme pain started to concentrate in my chest. Went to ER on Sunday, gave me 3 percocet and iv demerol and ativan to calm down, FINALLY a break in the pain. Cried the entire time I was in ER until the pain went away (I don't cry in front of people, it was bad). Left ER after 9 hours went home. Feeling OK, still had pain but was OK, feeling positive like we can do this. My mother and husband may not live throught this but I will!

Slept OK last night. Saw the Dr this morning....she hasn't heard of anyone else having these problems (go figure, surprise) Changing chemo plans...........

Carboplatin and Gemcitabine (Gemzar) one week and then Gemcitabine (Gemzar) the next week and off a week.

Haven't seen anything about this one, anyone familar with it? Guess I better study up on the "rare" side affects.

Trying not to give up but SOMEONE is testing me!

Thanks!

Beth,

What a horrible reaction to the chemo! :o Hoping that the new course of treatment gives you very little side effects. Do they think it was an allergic reaction? Don't think I've heard of such horrible pain with Taxotere. I know some have had severe allergic reaction to it though.

Thanks for keeping us posted and hope you are feeling better now.

TAnn

wow beth, i'm so sorry that you had to endure all that this past weekend. i hope that the new chemo regime is much more tolerable (you may want to do a general search on this site for the new chemo meds you will be taking to see how others have reacted to it). i'm glad to see that you have your mom and husband by your side too. please take care.

God bless,

mj

The Oncologist doesn't know what to do either, she said she had never heard of it either. HAD every test except an MRI was run and EVERYTHING looked good. Cat Scan (full body, no head) was clear of cancer, potasium was low, GRANS were low. I had potasium pills to clear that up, nothing we can do about the GRANS, not pregnant :lol: , blood gases were fine, heart holding up well, blood pressure was high but once the pain meds kicked in it went back to normal.

I am a medical novelty! You know though, I'm kinda tired of being the guinea pig!! Seems like there are evil scientists giving me things and wondering what will happen to me! Oh well. At least I can share my stories with everyone and they can think, if that doesn't happen to me, then it's great! I have thought about emailing some of the drug companies and asking for their opinions on these side effects, we'll have to see!

Thanks for your support!

Hi Beth,

I am so sorry you have had such a rough time!! I hope you won't have any side effects with the new treatment. My husband just finished 6 rounds of gemzar and carboplatin. He usually got sick with the combo-but it was very brief, he would throw up a couple of times several hours after the treatment and then be fine. He did not get sick at all when it was just the gemzar. The gemzar does hurt going in but they usually give it real fast-over a 30 min. period. It helps to use several hot packs around the iv . once it is finished he had no more pain. He takes decordron twice day for 3 days following the treatment. The last 2 weeks have been the hardest because of fatigue. The onc said the chemo is cummlative and thats why, just catching up with him. His hemagolbin did drop earlier in the treatment and had a couple of arnesp injections which helped him feel better. I see you are in the richmond area. We live in ruther glen which is about 35 miles from there. My husbands onc is Sherman Baker with vcu/mcv. Who is yours? Good luck with your treament! we will keep you in our prayers.

Cathy w.

Beth,

I hate mysteries. It would make me crazy not knowing why I had such an unusual reaction to a medicine. Oh, well, at least that's over.

My husband had gemzar and navelbine. These drugs were much easier on him that the taxotere/carboplatin. He had a little bit of nausea on the first treatment, but a compazine took care of it quickly. After that, he took one before and after treatment and didn't have a problem. To be fully effective, gemzar has to be administered in less than an hour, or less than 45 min., I forget which. The good news is it's nice for it to be fast, but some people have a problem with it burning going in. My husband did not have that problem. He did have that problem with the navelbine, however. It was given by injection in a slow push rather than iv, and every time he got it, they had a terrible time getting a vein warm enough and wide enough to take it without severe burning. You're not receiving that one, so you don't have to worry about that. I haven't heard many complaints about carboplatin, so hopefully these drugs will be a cake walk for you compared to the others you've had.

Is the pain better today?

Love,

Peggy

I had carboplatin and gemzar off and on from Nov. 2003 until July 04. took nausea medicine for 4 days including day of treatment and never actually upchoked. Lost some appetite and felt pretty bad for several days and then got better. Not 100 % but still lots better. Could not be as active for I got tired easy. My platlets and blood got low and was taking Procrit almost every week. When they did the PET scan in June;, places on bones gone and slower activity on lymph node and lung. The started Iressa. Good luck,. I live about 10 miles east of Lynchburg, Va. Marion

The side effect you experienced from the Taxotere isn't neurotoxicity, it is the "myalgia/arthralgia" syndrome. It's actually more common with Taxol, if anyone here has had carbo/taxol and got real achy a few days after treatment, they will know what I'm talking about. It typically kicks in 3-5 days after treatment and lasts anywhere from 2 days to a week. Taxotere and Taxol are kissing cousins and you had a very bad version of that reaction. If anyone else gets this, try Glutamine either 15 grams twice a day or 10 grams 3x/day, I usually have patients start it a couple days prior to treatment and continue for a week after. It can really reduce that side effect and there is no evidence that it compromises the efficacy.

Joe