hey im new

james

Hey James,

I'm slow (don't get on the computer much due to work and two teenagers :x ), but wanted to add my welcome to the others. Your mom has probably got a lot to show that doctor, like the fact that he is not God! You and your family members take a good look around here and you'll see that there is a lot to hope for. Take care!

well all ive gotten from my mom was that she has a kind that has no cure all they can do for her right now is slow it down and thats all that ive been abble to get well all that she will tell me but im trying to get more so i can let everone know and i showed her all the posts that ive gotten and she wants me to tell everone thank you verry much and that we are praying for you all too... but thats all i have for now

James,

There's a website called www.whyquit.com that I've seen people refer to before. I just went to it, but since I've never smoked, I really can't relate, so can't give a recommendation! I'm sure others here will have some advice for you too.

Keep your chin up. As far as getting information from your mother - ask her if they've done a biopsy. This would've been done either by sticking a needle into the tumor to get part of it, making an incision to get a little piece of the tumor, (and whatever little piece they got would've been looked at under the microscope to determine what it was), or they may have done what's called a bronchoscope, where the doctor would've put a tube down her nose into her lung. Yeah, I know that sounds gross . . . gives me the heeby-jeebies! Anyway, there's a light and a little camera on the end of that tube, and they can see what's in there and figure out what it is. If the doctors haven't done SOME type of biopsy, they don't really know what kind of cancer it is. And it's very important that she know, cause that'll determine what kind of treatment she should have. If she has had a biopsy, PLEASE ask her to get a copy of the pathology report from her doctor. It's not a big deal to get it - she'll just have to sign some form and pick it up. Once she gets it, you'll see that at the very beginning it should have exactly what type of cancer it is, and then there'll be a lot of other information that won't make any sense to you (at least my brother's didn't make any sense to me!!) regarding where any other tumors might be, etc. PLEASE let me or others here help you to try to figure it all out, then we can help you to help your Mom.

One thing you might want to ask your Mom about is this - she can sign a form that will allow the doctors to share any and all information about her situation with you. She'll just have to put your name on the form. This way, you could actually get any pathology reports, x-rays, CT scans, etc. yourself, rather than your mother having to get them. She might be concerned about you and not want to burden you with this or scare you by doing this. Basically, she might want to protect you by not allowing you to have access to all her medical information. But please tell her that you're only doing it because you want to help her, and only by having all the information can you help her, and therefore help yourself, your little sister, and your big brother as well.

One more thing - I know you're very busy with work and school, but try to go with your Mom to her next doctor's appointment or any type of treatment she has. While there, ask questions (such as what type of cancer, where it is, what stage it is, what kind of chemo they're giving her, how many chemo treatments she'll be getting, etc.) Go ahead and start a list of questions to ask (I'll make the list for you if you'd like - just let me know), take the list with you, and don't leave that appointment until you have all the answers. Beg the doctor to write down the answers after each question if you have to! Or take that adorable little sister of yours and get her to beg if you have to!! And once you get the answers, you're not at a loss . . . you can bring those questions and answers here and we can help you to begin to figure things out. Only by having this type of knowledge can you help your Mom through this.

PLEASE consider what I've said, and call or e-mail me (Lisa has my info) if you want to talk about it.

Take care -

Katha

hey well i have good news it turns out that my mom dosnt have cancer in her right lung so that was great news and i have the reports from the doctor she has stage iv non-small-cell lung cancer and she is taking carboplatin(cbdca,paraplatin) and pacletaxel(taxol) for chemo and she get them through iv and i have all the reports but not sure how to scan them on so ill get them on later k well thats all i have for now

p.s. the reason that i havent posted in a while is that ive been busy with school and work but ill try to get back on sooner next time thanx soo much

james

Great news, James! I'm working on getting more information for you, and I'll call your Mom either later today or tomorrow. Did she get another chemo treatment on Thursday? How is she feeling? Did she get the referral to Iowa City?

I'm so glad to see that the cancer is still only in one lung and hasn't spread - it's much more treatable that way!

Talk to you soon -

TeeTaa

James,

There hasn't been a day gone by that I haven't thought of your Mom and you kids. I have been hoping to hear news like this. I am so proud of you for hanging in there and for letting us know her good, good news.

Also, I am so glad that you have those Georgia girls on your side....you just can't go wrong there.

Keep your spirits high...

Thank you, so much for the news.

Cindi