I could use some word of encouragement

Carleen

Carleen,

Oh honey, you are both so young to have to go through all of this. I am so sorry to hear the news about the mets. I have you in my prayers and you are always in my thoughts. I wish you only the best and hope that WBR is an option that can be started quickly. Between that and some of the newer chemos I am in high hopes that he will get through this for a better tomorrow.

Nina

Hey Carleen!!

So sorry about the delay in answering but i haven't been home for some time (hospitalized).

Wanted to let you know that I was diagnosed last August with 2 mets to the brain. Luckily, they were small and accessible. So they started with ten day's worth of WBR...then followed up with stereotactic surgery (not an easy procedure to be sure) :-(. That being said, it took care of them which made me a bone fide member of the *empty headed* club.

Hope this helps and know that you are both in my prayers (always have been).

God Bless Us All

Francine

Oh Honey -

I haven't been on for a few days. Sorry I wasn't here for you.

You KNOW that your love and faith go a loonnnnnnnng ways towards working thru all this.

Hang in there and hopefully the doctors will give you some promising options.

Don't you dare give up.

Give Keith a great big hug............

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Carleen,

I just wanted to add to the thought and prayers going out to you and Keith. This has got to be such a scarey thing to be dealing with. I only know about it from the perspecitve of being the daughter of my dad (David and Paddy) who was just diagnosed with mets to the brain. I wish I had words of wisdom but I don't ..... I am in the frustrating position of being an observer ... and at a long distance too. Please know that prayers are going out for you and Keith and I hope that whatever treatment that you settle on is successful.

With all my love,

Karen

Carleen-

I am so so sorry. I haven't been on the board for a few weeks as Daddy has not been well. I logged on tonight and saw your post. Daddy too was diagnosed with a Brain Met on Friday... We are in shock as he was also diagnosed with Esophogus Cancer two weeks prior.... So the battle continues. It lately seems like when you think things possibly can't get any worse, they do!! Please know that I am praying for you and Keith. He is so young and strong that god willing he will be able to fight this setback. I am confident he will. God Bless us Everyone. Love, Sharon

Very sorry to hear about this, cancer is such a terrible roller coaster ride. WBR can be very effective in controlling brain mets. This is not a recommendation but Temodar is looking very promising combined with WBR for brain mets. Its extraordinarily non-toxic and doesn't seem to add to neurotoxicity significantly. Think there is still a phase III coop group study looking at this. Here is a prelim. abstract:

http://www.asco.org/ac/1,1003,_12-00264 ... 224,00.asp

Not here to give advice and not saying this is something that you should do but might ask your doctor about it, maybe would be eligible for study if they have it open.

Carleen--

I cried upon reading your post, as it is evident how much pain you and Keith are in--and how scared you both are.

Geoff's mom had 12+ mets to the brain--and had WBR (she did NOT have any real side effects, thank goodness). Her mets were reduced to 4 very small ones as Geoff posted on the following link:

http://lchelp.com/community/viewtopic.p ... 5703f94074

This month--when we were trying to figure out something else--she had another MRI taken--and those 4 were still shrinking!!!

There ARE people who have "joined" the "empty head club" on this board (and are still around to tell about it)--please take heart from them.

Brain mets are scary (what part of this beast is not?!?)--but they are not a death sentence.

((((HUG))))

Melinda

Dear Carleen and Keith,

I can only agree with EVERYONE that has posted to you already. My heart just broke when I read your post. I could feel your heart skipping a beat with ever word you wrote. :cry::cry::cry: Honey, I am praying so hard for you and for Keith. (((((CARLEEN & KEITH))))))

I'm sorry Keith's birthday wasn't what it SHOULD have been. You both deserve MUCH happiness and good health. If only words could take away our pain.

Much Love and Support,

Connie

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support.

Keith and I did get a call from the radiation oncologist he has seen previously the very next day.

Dr. Farat (probably spelt wrong) at Froedtert Lutheran in Milwaukee is one of those doctors that I know are sent by God. He is wonderful. He spent nearly and hour and a half talking to us about WBR and Gamma Knife and Intrathecal Chemo. He said that Keith could have Gamma Knife, but since he felt the whole brain was in danger as the spots were on all sides and all small that he felt we should do WBR. He also said that wouldn't exclude Gamma Knife in the future if WBR did not have the desired results. Keith is also scheduled for an MRI of the Spine on 9/27 to check the spinal fluid because of the tumors in the meninges.

Dr. Farat was so positive and said he felt there was no reason to feel that Keith couldn't move on from this. He was very reassuring.

I know what I'm going to say next might sound crazy to some people (others not), but Keith and I have had a closer examination of our relationship with God, and have put our faith in him.

We wound up being put in contact with a man who his father went to high school with, who subsequently wrote a book called "Miracles made Possible"; Bill Tucker. Together we prayed and asked for God to grant us a miracle, and I know that not only does God have the power to perform miracles, but he promises to answer our prayers as we put our faith in him. I feel my spirit lifted again as I put my heart and faith in God and believe that my husband is the recipient of a miracle and will be shown to be cured.

Miracles can, do and will happen. I believe, and I'm letting it go to God.

God Bless you all, and I pray for each of you with all my might and all my heart.

Carleen,

All thing are possible through our Lord and Savior!!!

Some people think miracles never happen, but I'm sure if we all look in our lives we will find that God has given us miracles even in the smallest of ways. Prayer is a powerful and calming thing, I try to pray every chance I get; not just for my mom, but for all of you. Miracles happen. I see them in the hospital I work at every day! Keep up the fight!!!

Prayers and Blessings to all.

Carleen,

I have always found your posts to be uplifting for me. I am sorry to see that the roller coaster has taken you down a hill for a bit. I am very good at encouragement but I think that I can offer some empathy.

Two years ago today I was diagnosed with stage 4 nsclc with a single brain met (age 44 - nonsmoker). It was treated with the gamma knife and now completely gone. In May. two more were found and were treated with the gamma knife and are shrinking. Unfortunately, the follow up MRI to the last gamma knife showed more sub-cm lesions. They have not given me a number but it would not change their recommendations. Now, everyone wants me to do WBR. This has been very hard for me. I have taken two months to research and come to terms with this treatment plan (plus enjoy some summer vacation with my son and husband).

I will start on Monday the first of 20 treatments. I am very anxious despite the assurances from 4 doctors and the support of my family.

In my heart, I know that I have no other choice. I am very strong, healthly. and very hopeful. This is what I need to do in order to be here with my son and husband.

If you need to talk, please do not hesitate to email me and will give you my phone number.

I will keep you and Keith in my prayers.

carleen,

my prayers are with you and your husband. all of this so hard on the both of you. my mom, too, was told to do wbr first and to save the gamma knife procedure if needed for later on. my thoughts are with you, and i'm glad to see that you both have found solace in God's mercy.

God bless,

mj

Charleen,

Just checking in - how is Keith making out with the treatments. I have done two treatments so far. My son says my hair thinner - it is not! Wait till he sees me at the end of next week with no hair.

I have been thinking about the two of you and remember you both in my prayers in night.

Be brave, you never walk alone.