Mike's in the hospital

kimblanchard

Mike has had increasing discomfort (PAIN actually) with which the pain pump's increased dosages can't keep up. We believe some of this additional pain is due to fluid retention in the abdominal area.

I called CTCA in Tulsa and they suggested on Sunday afternoon I take him to ER and see if they could remove some of the fluid building up in his abdomen. Well - they wouldn't or couldn't. Our personal GP wasn't on call this weekend and unfortunately, it was a GP that we had "fired" some years ago because we didn't like his bedside manner...or lack thereof. He wouldn't even consider it. Guess what - Time hasn't improved the guy! LOL

Anyway - He wanted to admit Mike last night and Mike didn't want to stay. So they sent us home with a prescription for two different diuretics (which I had already asked the doctor in Tulsa for but he had refused due to Mike's low sodium levels). What are us poor "lay people" suppose to trust? Two competent doctors with totally differing takes on what is best for Mike. I can only trust in God and my God-given instincts! So I made an appointment with our GP today and basically told the nurse what I hoped could be done for Mike. Bless our GP's heart....he admitted Mike into the hospital over night for IV pain management and tomorrow he will have Mike examined by a radiologist to check for fluid to be "tapped". Hopefully they will be able to give Mike some additional relief from the pressure.

In all honesty....CTCA has SPOILED me forever for the care we receive here in town. It's hard when at CTCA - the nurse assigned to Mike would check on him HOURLY asking him what his pain level was....before Mike had to even ask for pain relief. \

Yet here at home, although our hospitals are suppose to be so great....he didn't get 't get any additional pain medicine until 9:15 pm tonight. Really irritating considering the pain medicine was ordered by our GP in the admission papers we hand delivered to the hospital when we arrived 5:15 pm! 4 hours later???? By that time his pain level had risen to an 8 - SEVERE pain. I'm telling you - My Christian witness was on the line tonight. I tried to be patient and I believe I succeeded...but at what cost to my Mikey?

Last Thursday we went to this same hospital to have blood drawn on an order from the doctor in Tulsa. The results needed to be faxed to CTCA. When I scheduled the draw and explained to the scheduler (who happens to be a good friend of mine!), she made a point of putting the fax number to CTCA in the scheduled request! When we registered, I made a point of telling the admissions clerk that we needed the results to be faxed to Tulsa. She actually scanned the draw order (with the fax number and instructions on it) into her computer. When the nurse DREW the blood, I confirmed that the fax number was with the lab documents. She assured me that the report would be completed within an hour and faxed immediately. This was at 11:00 am. When I called Tulsa at 4:30 pm to verify and check on the labs - they had not received the fax! When I called on Friday morning and talked to the lab itself, the person on the phone confirmed that, indeed, the report had NOT been faxed. Fortunately, Mike's blood chemicals were all normal enough and in balance so we didn't have to have any action taken...but if they hadn't have been, he would have had to wait another 12 hours before treatment! Inexcusable!

Tomorrow they are to call me when they find out what time the procedure is going to take place. I'm not relying on them....I'll set my alarm clock and get up at 7:00 am to call them.....I'm not counting on any one anymore. This is a very hard and tiring time and most of the people I could count on to help out...simply don't! I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy....I keep trying to make things crystal clear and confirm and reconfirm and they STILL can mess it up! Okay - Enough grumbling...

Please continue to pray for Mike's pain level...for Mike's strength....and for my patience...which is being stretched to the max!

We are playing it by ear right now...but I'm going to get Mike to Tulsa as soon as humanly possible. He wants to get back there...(me too!).

Remember the doctor I asked you all to pray about...the one we weren't sure would be returning to CTCA??? Well.....he's baaack! Hallelujah! Another prayer answered YES!

Oh - and for those of you who were asking about our little dog...Our vet told me today that the lab report showed no spread of her cancer to her toe! So in removing the dog's toe, our veterinarian Mary Kaufman (can't say enough good about her!) saved our dog's life. Another prayer of mine answered YES.

God is good. Life could be better .....but God is good!

Love to you all.....Keep the faith.

Shannon & Mike

Persistance is the name of the game... Looks like you are keeping them in line and unfortunately, that's what it seems to take anymore. I myself have spent hours on the phone with doctors and the like in order to keep our ball rolling. Trust no one to get things done... only you will know it's done when you do it yourself.

We trust that these Drs. are good at what they do.... it's all of the other stuff they can't seem get a grip on. A doctor is only as good as his 1st string nurse... If she can't keep things going in order ... mayhem usually breaks out.

We are praying that CTCA will get Mike back up... our thoughts are w/ you both. -Jack-

Sharon,,mrs mike,, Things may seem bad but things can turn around for the better and I believe they wil because you never quit and neither does Mike. Just never never quit, when things are all said and done you all have done your best and thats what counts! Try any treatment available and continue what you do because you inspire me to go the extra mile with my dad.

Shannon, Mike is sooooooo lucky to have you. Everybody needs an advocate in thier corner to make sure things get done. There is no excuse for having incompetant people or negligent actions in the medical profession but unfortunately not everybody can be a rocket scientist. Hang in there and remember God will not throw anything at us we cannot handle with His help. My prayers are with you and Mike.

David C

GOD.......Please this is urgent.....Mike needs his pain taken away like now so could you do me a favor and take care of that right away...I would really really appreciate it......what was that god.....GREAT I will let Mrs. Mike know that you said you'd take care of that......what I didn't hear that last part....Yes GOD I am sorry I cursed at that truck driver who cut me off last night.

OK GOD thanks for taking care of Mike for me.

I'll be talking to you later today too.

OK Mrs. Mike all taken care of.

MRS. MIKE,

ALL OF US CAREGIVERS HAVE TO BE CONSTANTLY ON OUR TOES WHEN OUR LOVED ONE IS IN THE HOSPITAL.

WHEN OUR SON WAS ONLY MONTHS OLD, HE WAS HAVING A HARD TIME BREATHING AND WAS PLACED IN THE HOSPITAL IN AN OXYGEN TENT. I WAS AWAKE FOR OVER 48 HOURS WATCHING HIM AND CONSTANTLY HAD TO TELL THE NURSES WHEN HIS OXYGEN WAS RUNNING LOW FOR A NEW SUPPLY. THE LAST TIME I TOLD THEM I WENT BACK TO THE ROOM AND PUT MY HEAD DOWN ON HIS BED AND FELL ASLEEP. WOKE UP 3 HOURS LATER AND THE OXYGEN HAD NOT BE CHANGED. I HAD HEADS ROLLED THAT DAY.....NO EXCUSE WAS I TAKING..... FROM THAT I HAVE LEARNED NOT TO TRUST HOSPITAL PERSONNEL......ALWAY WATCH OUT FOR ONE'S LOVE.....

Shannon, I will be praying that you get even more prayers answered for Mike. And that he gets some relief for the pain. Your attitude is amazing and I admire you for this. Especially when all the waiting and conflicting answers can be so frustrating. Keep up the hope.

Shannon, I pray for Mikes pain to go away, and I pray for your continued strength. I don't know how you do it, there is only one answer LOVE. And THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT. Hang in there, Keep your chin up. You are doing the right thing, and I hope that knowing you've got alot of friends here, rooting for you both, helps give you the strength you need. Take care, Deb

Shannon and Mike,

Just sending you LOTS MORE PRAYERS my friends!!!

Prayers, Prayers and MANY MANY MORE PRAYERS!!!!

I have to say I think ALL the prayers are working, because GOD has given you Shannon all the patience in the world to go through all the ins and outs of doctor's and hospital ordeals!!! Thank you GOD! My prayers are focusing on Mike's pain! I pray he will feel better SOON!!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs to you BOTH!!!

Shannon and Mike,

You guys are blessed with attitude, optimism, experience, and faith. Praying that those great traits are only strengthened by all our prayers for you and that Mike's pain is alleviated. Go, go, go to Tulsa soonest.

Shannon,

I certainly hope the hospital staff is operating more efficiently today. I know how awful it must be to watch Mike in pain and feel helpless.

Just last week when we were at IU Med Center a nurse forgot all about us for over an hour. Bill was about ready to lie down on the floor with discomfort from sitting. The nurse didn't even remember why we were there! She apologized later but seemed so insincere. Thank goodness the doctor was extremely professional yet compassionate.

I am praying that you are able to get back to Tulsa as soon as possible to get Mike the care he needs. It is wonderful that the doctor you wanted to stay will be there to help you.

Blessings to you both Shannon and Mike,

Peg

Goodness, Shannon, I'd like to come over there and pop a few people for you. It makes me sooooo mad when I hear stories of such incompetence. You have much more patience than most people.

I also wanted to tell you that I think of you and Mike everyday and I hope that some of my positive thoughts are getting thru! JudyB

Shannon, you have hugs and prayers coming your way. Dont even get me started on faxing results as we wait to hear while our loved one's life is on the line. Does ANYONE CARE??? Dont they realize we wait on edge for these results? Youre such a great person.

Hey Shelly, I like how you pray! :D