Is this a seizure?

Elaine

Never fails, when I am alone I get some new thing going on. About a month ago, my right hand "mouse hand" began to twitch--lasted about 30 seconds. Not sure if it was whole hand or fingers, then it happened again this morinig. Again only 30 seconds and as soon as I lifted my hand it stopped. I didn't think anything much about it until happened twice.

Looked on Internet--wrong move--and found something called "simple partial seizure"--is this what I had? Does anyone know!

The only other "brain" symptom I have is that on right side above the temple area I have had weird senstations since before DX--the sensations have not progressed--and was told it was "nothing" though it has to be SOMETHING! But from my limited understanding, right hand twitching would be caused by something going on on the left side! This is all driving me crazy since I imagine a head full of tumors, now!

My HPOA gives me a lot of tingling--which of couse the DRs say it IS NOT causing--but since two other people I know of who have HPOA also report tingling, I think the HPOA does cause this--.

My husband is in Puerto Rico--in the aftermath of tropical storm Jeannie and I guess I am just worried that this could be the precursor to something larger looming...

I know I have no right to ask since I am not going to go to the Dr unless someone points out to me that this is something life threatening. But I do just wonder if anyone has had this happen. Truly if not for my DX, I would probably not have thought a thing about either the funny sensation in my head or the finger/hand twitching.

Why is this disease so sneaky! Especially since non-life threatening disorders/illnesses are often so acute!

elaine

Most of the individuals I have seen have a partial seizure get additional symptoms. They laugh out loud or have a feeling it is coming before the seizure starts, one girl lets out a scream. They are usually aware it is coming and are concious throughout. Sometimes after the seizure they are emotional and will cry. Many times the partial seizure then leads them into a full blown tonic clonic seizure. Seizures usually no matter how small leave you very tired afterwards also.

I don't know if this is helpful to you or not. I guess my point is that it is usally more involved???? Wish you all the best Elaine~

Rochelle

Elaine,

You are so right....this disease is just soooo sneaky, causes so much stress wondering if "nothing" is "something". I'm hoping your "nothing" is "nothing"........

Can't help too much except to say that an awful lot of nerves meet at the wrist, and sometimes if you are putting pressure on your wrist (like at the mousepad) the wrong way, it can cause tingling and/or twitching of the hand. Hope that's all it is, but if you're really worried, you know enough that getting it checked out is really the best thing to put your mind at ease.

Thinking of ya,

Mary

Thanks to all! I did think of carpal tunnel and I sure hope that is what it is. I know that carpal tunnel doesn't involve part of the ring finger and the little finger, but since the twitching only lasted 30 sec and both times I wasn't even worrying about it, I have no idea if the little finger was doing anything or not.

However, the tingling/numbness thing that goes on is definately the whole hand and that as far as I am concerned is the HPOA--it is in both hands but more pronounced in the right mousey one!

I do a lot of writing not just on the board and I have been known to play a few hands of pinocle a day :shock: My last job for two years was as a journalist and I was on the computer up to 20 hours a day then too.

Thanks Ry for sharing your experiences with witnessing seizures. That helped!

elaine

Elaine,

There are three locations where nerves go through narrow channels that would affect your hand. One is in the elbow, actually, one is in the wrist proper that affects the hand from the middle finger outward, and one is on the outer edge part of the wrist that affects the last two fingers.....

If you're really worried about it, call the doctor's and talk to a nurse.

Or just stay off the computer for a couple of days and do lots of range of motion stretching, let the inflammation die down (if that's what it is).

Wishing you the best...

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Elaine,

Call the doctor, you KNOW you can't stay off the computer for a couple of days! LOL

Pressure points I have at work that give me trouble - arm/elbow on chair, wrist on wrist rest, angle of wrist on mouse (bad ergo set up and I type all flippin' day). I think it's your computer time....really...

Becky

I bet there's really no way to tell without an MRI. I sure don't want to do one of those alone. The darker it gets outside, the more sure I am that something is going on.

I have been convinced this strange feeling in my head that seems worse in the morning if I sleep on that side, is Iintracranial pressure, and but clinically I was told blah blah blah.... and to wait to see if symptoms progress before "over reacting"-- I don't know if it is my HMO or what, but that seems crazy to me since I did make it clear I want any brain or spinal mets treated and of course any mets that cause pain.

I Hate being in the middle of nowhere!

elaine

Elaine, I tend to lean toward the carpal tunnel explanation. If moving your hand stops it, it is not a seizure. (They can't be voluntarily stopped.)

Re: intracranial pressure, you would not feel a rise in ICP. Odd head sensations are often due to 1) medications and 2) fluid and electrolytes imbalances; so be sure you are getting enough water to drink and eat your fruits & vegetables. A daily multivitamin can't hurt either. Best of luck to you, Teresa

Thanks

I guess if it happens again, I am going to pay close attention to it and establish for sure if I am able to stop it voluntarily. The other "comforting" thought I have is if this is a seizure why would both of the occurences happen while my hand was on a mouse? And what is the chances that my particular brain lesion would effect my right hand and only at a time I was using a mouse. Why not when I am typing or washing dishes or watching a movie?

I thought my husband was coming home today but not until Tuesday! I don't think telling him of this while he has to work on a ship loader is going to be conducive to his safety or health--thousands of miles away.

So I thank the Lord for all of you, regardless of the cause!

elaine