Update on Bob

NellW

Well, he got a biopsy of his prostate on Wed. and yesterday the urologist who performed the biopsy called and said it showed aggressive cancer, but that it seemed localized still. He took 3 snips. He thinks the bone mets are from the lung. I dont think he has ever had any imaging of his brain, isn't that unusual? Anyhow, now his GP who read the results says he will still be the "Captain" of this situation, and will now send him back to the oncologist, who will probably biopsy the 4rth lumbar and maybe the aortic lymph. Bob is running from one doc to another, and his GP insists he return to him between every visit. The urologist is 100 miles away in Rochester, the surgeon who did his segmentectomy is 50 miles away in Ann Arbor, and the GP and the onc. are in Flint. At first the Rochester Dr. said he wanted to send Bob to his assoc. in the same building for some sort of hormone treatment to try to slow down the prostate cancer, but the GP said no he could administer the shots. I know I am rambling .. just frustrated. The primary doc is a personal friend and Bob and Jo are loyal to him which INFURIATES me. Ah well, we love them and will be there for them no matter what. Please pray for them that they get a good oncologist finally and his treatment gets coordinated.. I WANT TO MOVE BOB TO MN., Dr. Joe. :roll:

Normally, prostate cancer is diagnosed and treated by a urologist. I am a 9-year survivor (2 bouts) of prostate cancer. I personally would rather have a urologist than a GP to treat me. There are several ways to treat prostate cancer, all with experts in those areas. Sorry Bob has to contend with that as well as the LC. I agree with you that his LC should be handled by an oncologist and not a GP, regardless of friendship. That's my two cents. Don

Nell,

It may not be the best medical situation--since a team would be better. But as a patient, one thing I thing IS important and that is that Bob feel comfortable being around his Doctor and being able to communicate; moreover, to feel important to the Dr. In that respect, Bob is certainly in good hands.

Sending love and fortitude

elaine

Nell,

My GP is copied on all reports, be they for the oncologist or the radiation oncologist and vice versa. I have a "team" and try to keep them all in the loop, so to speak. I don't usually visit my GP after other appointments, but she gets the reports to keep in my file and update her treatment of my far-more-than-normal physical maladies. With the foggy brain/headaches and joint pains, she ordered the brain MRI, my oncologist ordered the bone scan...they work together but are NOT in the same "practice"...

I think for prostate issues, one would want a "manly doctor"...I don't think I'd have a GP checking out possible breast cancer beyond the yearly exam and "what's this"...

It DOES, however, sound like Bob's care IS "happening" - a good thing!

Becky