Dyspnea: I feel so stupid

Elaine

I thought dyspnea and SOB were the same thing. Apparently they are not--and SOB is a subset of dyspnea.

Anyway, about 4 months prior to DX I began to notice an uncomfortable sense while breathing--like I was involuntarily holding my breath is the only way I can describe it and it was uncomfortable, slighly. It also seemed like muscle discomfort in my back and I couldn't tell if one thing was the same as the other or one was causing the other. Massage seemed to alleviate the discomfort and distraction seemed to make me not notice the discomfort. It's confusing. Anyway, I was in a stressful situation so I thought maybe I was having some kind of mild panic episodes.

Here's the really stupid part-even after DX, I did not think that these sensations were dyspnea--I only reported having SOB on exertion. Not dyspnea at rest. Now that this uncomfortable breathing is more and more noticeable and non-stop I just assumed I was set in some kind low level panic mode.

So now I don't know what if anything I can do about this uncomfortable breathing.

Anyone have this symptom and know what can help?

I was told the last check about a month ago that I didn't need oxygen unless I wanted it--whatever that means.

elaine

Supposedly I dont have an effusion. It's not really pain I feel, and I cant' describe it other than like I am being forced to hold my breath.

Once in my thirties I was dxed with hypervenilation syndrome, so I thought I was having that again so I didn't want to bring it up. It is sort of like that feeling (or the same, I don't remember) but the discomfort is clearly in the lung with the cancer.

I am hoping it's not a reason to go on Oxygen after all, even though we all know that Dean says it's not that bad.

elaine

Elaine, I don't know if it's the same thing or not,but I do have trouble breathing at times and often notice when that happens I have been holding my breath without realizing it.I concentrate on making sure I breath in thru my nose and out thru my mouth,& it always gets better.I have a habit of breathing in and out thru my nose or mouth one or the other.(not right).PS> being on oxygen is doable as Dean says but it really hampers being active.

Elaine,

Supplemental oxygen can sometimes make the difference between feeling like doing something and not being able to do anything. It really isn't all that bad. It takes planning if you are going to be doing things outside the home, but Oxygen comes in small tanks that can be carried in a backpack, or a shoulder bag. There is a small condensor unit that fits easily into the trunk of my car for trips away from home. There's a larger portable tank (I named mine Igor) that has a wheeled cart/stand. You just have to haul it along with you. And the large in home condensor has tubing that is about 30 feet long, so I can walk almost anyplace inside without having to move the unit. There are humidifiers that attach to the units so that the oxygen is moist (less drying to the nasal passages this way), the cannulas are fairly easy to adjust to. All things considered I'm glad to have it available.

The way I see it, we can either allow our shortness of breath/low oxygen saturation levels to inhibit our activities, or we can use the supplemental oxgyen and do more of the things we enjoy, not to mention feel better.

And just to be safe, are you certain you aren't coming down with a respiratory infection?

.ELAINE

I am on oxygen almost round the clock. I use the concentrator at night and if I am not real active because I like the humidfier on it and of course the company wants me to use it. I had small 7# cylingers of the gas and a backpack for exercising and yard work but recently got to swotch it to the liquid system which I carry in a fanny pack. Due to all the activity with my husbands care I couldn't be getting tangled in the 50 ft concentrator coed and he was always running over it with the wheel chair. The gas tank only lasted about 2 hours which was a problem but easy to throw extra tanks in the car. I am happy with the portable and it makes my breathing much easier.

Had second round of chemo today and scheduled for another ct scan Oct 7.

Husband back in hospital for a few days under a neurologist, attempting to manage pain.

Best of luck to you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Elaine,

Sorry to hear about your dyspnea. I'm a respiratory therapist and I always thought dyspnea and SOB were the same! Anyways, the oxygen might help. Do you know what your oxygen saturation is on room air? Did they put a little thing on your finger and take a reading? If it was low (below 90%) I would say you could use some oxygen. My mom didn't want to go back on oxygen but I explained it to her like this: Your good cells need the oxygen to fight this, but the bad cells are blocking the oxygen from coming to your lungs and to your heart to be circulated. So, if you give your body some extra oxygen it can help the good cells do their job and work more efficently. I would really concider the O2, and I agree maybe an inhaler would help, along with pursed lip breathing in which you breath in through you nose and with your lips together like you're blowing out a candle, slowly exhale so that you exhale twice as long as you inhale, and try to put yourself, in your mind, in your most relaxing place you can think of. I do this when I'm stressed just to help me calm down :D . I hope above all you find something to help you with this problem!

KIm

I got a PM from Theresa on here who says that they are the same thing, so I don't know but I read on several sites that dysnpnea is shortness of breath or discomfort while breathing. I am confused! Anyway, when I go upstairs carrying laundry, I get out of breath--like labored breathing after running. Otherwise it's just this breath holding thing. My sats were fine about 6 weeks ago. This other breathing thing has been going on a long time and my SOB has not changed significantly really since DX. Maybe some but not a lot. It could just be stress causing the breath holding. My FEV and FET were abnormal but not significantly so at DX. Ten months before DX they were 90 plus and had dropped to the 80s.

Thanks

That sounds good Elaine! Sounds like you probably recover quickly after the SOB once you stop? For what it's worth, I get SOB walking up the stairs WITHOUT a load of laundry!! :lol: Staying active and going about your everyday things is a good thing. Keep up the good work! Prayers for everyone!

I certainly don't mean to make light of this serious condition, but I have to tell y'all . . . as someone who's never really had any health problems, and in particular no breathing problems, I've been on this site for months but I STILL read SOB to be something other than Shortness Of Breath. For all I know, dyspnea might be an SOB. But he sure has a strange name! :lol:

Y'all take a deep breath and take care -

TeeTaa