Qs RE :Head Hair Regrowth / Gemzar Pain

Bill

My wife lost all of her head hair and eyebrows following WBR in June. Since then she has completed three 28-day chemo cycles of Gemzar ( 1200mg. ) and Carboplatin ( 200mg. ) Chemo cycle # 4 just started and was temporarily suspended. Just recently we've noticed a regrowth of fine head hair as well as partial eyebrows. Has anybody with a similar treatment history experienced this and / or does this slight but noticeable regrowth surprise you ? Secondly, for those of you that receive Gemzar via peripheral vein. Has the pain at the administration site remained constant from treatment to treatment or has the pain lessened or worsened over time ? I have good reason for asking these questions. But, I'd rather not get into that right now. Thanks in advance. Any input on these two topics would be greatly appreciated.

Bill,

Your wife's treatment and response sound very similar to my husband's. He has maintained two small spots of growth (actually regrowth from the original chemos) on the back of his head and now has the fuzzy stuff you indicate. His doctor told him he might or might not regrow hair. Steve had a PICC line in which was wonderful, so no pain at the administration site.

My last treatment, Gemzar/Carbo 9/16 I experienced a reaction at the site, back of hand, and it traveled up the vein into the upper arm. At this point my whole arm is aching. This was my 7th treatment. As a matter of fact I just returned from the doctor about the reaction. And I asked him if this is a sign of things to come. He did not know and deferred to my ONC, saying he thought there were drugs that could be given at the treatment time to help with this irritation. I have not had any reactions before.

I did not lose my hair, 2000mg Gemzar 800 Carbo. Side effects and reactions seem to be mostly an individual thing.

Good luck in your fight

Bo

I HAD THE CARBOPLATIN AN GEMZAR. SOMETIME THERE WAS SOME PAIN AT FIRST GOING IN BUT DID NOT LAST LONG AND I DIDN'T PAY ANY ATTENTION AS TO WHICH BAG IT WAS. I DID NOT LOSE ALL MY HAIR BUT IT HAS THINNED RIGHT MUCH. EYEBROWS ALSO. I AM ON IRESSA NOW. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM I HAD WAS FIND A VEIN TO PUT THE IV IN. DID NOT HAVE TROUBLE WITH PAIN AT IV SITE AFTER COMPLETION. MARION