Fundraising Opportunity

TeeTaa

Calling all artists and crafters!

The great LCSC board members have given me the go-ahead to pursue a fundraising opportunity for this website, but I'll need some help from some of you to make it happen. Here's the deal:

At our local elementary school, I'm chairing the PTA's Holiday Extravaganza (HE) event to be held on Saturday, December 4, 2004. This fundraising event consists of many activities - booksignings, silent auction for themed baskets prepared by each class (this is where the PTA makes most of its money), bake sale, fashion show, entertainment, poinsettia sales, storytelling, kids' craft area, and two shopping areas - one for adults, and one for kids, with items priced at $5 or less. The shopping area is made up of tables/booths that we sell to artists and crafters. For a booth/table, we charge only $25, and ask that they provide an item for the silent auction, but the artists/crafters keep 100% of their sales.

My idea is this - how 'bout LCSC having a booth/table (I'd paid for it) where we sell art/craft items donated by members (i.e. Fay's eggs, those earrings someone made, etc.) I don't think the actual LCSC logo'd items would sell, since this is not a "cancer" audience. LCSC members would make/produce items that could be either very artsy things (paintings, pottery, etc.), middle-of-the-road things (jewelry, etc.) or even small things for the kids' shopping area. One particular thing that I think would sell very well is Christmas ornaments (wooden, clay, etc.) that could be customized with names written with permanent marker. Members would send the items to me, and I (along with a little help from my family and friends!) could set up and man the booth, return the unsold items to the respective members, and send the proceeds to LCSC. Of course we would keep a detailed inventory of everything to provide to the board and to everyone who contributes items to sell.

A little about the school and the event - Mountain Park Elementary (www.mpes.org) is a public elementary school with 750+/- kids in grades K-5. Our PTA is incredibly active, and has an excellent reputation for putting on such events. (If you're familiar with PTA organizations, you'll appreciate that our budget is in excess of $140,000 and as VP-Fund Development I am responsible for raising $34,000, half of which is already in the bank, less than two months into the school year!) We did not have Holiday Extravaganza last year, but in past years when it was held we've had attendance of more than 900. This year I anticipate that number being significantly higher, as I'm partnering with a local bookstore to schedule booksignings throughout the day. Suffice it to say that our school is VERY well supported by its parents, teachers, students, administration, and community. So I have every reason to believe we can make some money for LCSC through this avenue.

If you are at all interested in helping me to pursue this opportunity, please e-mail me at jkstuart@bellsouth.net as I'd like to set up a database of e-mail addresses of all the artists/crafters/helpers. I also welcome any input you might have regarding how this might be better handled. And if you're in the Southeast, plan to be in town on December 4th, and I'll put you to work!

Thanks so much for your help -

Katha Stuart (aka TeeTaa)

hi katha,

what a great idea! i would love to donate something to sell. please pm me with the specifics (i.e. address to send the item to). one suggestion i have (for the items that don't sell) -- perhaps we can donate them to a local hospital (i.e. the children's treatment ward). looking forward to hearing from you.

God bless,

mj

Hi TeeTaa,

It sounds like a great idea. I told my son about it

on the way home from school and he is so excited

and trying to think of ideas that he can do. We will

have to get with you later on how to find the school.

I have an aunt that lives in that area so we might

get to visit with her to. I haven't seen her since my

Mom passed away.

Pamela

Pamela,

I'm so glad to have you and your son on board! Don't forget to send me your e-mail address so it'll be easier to communicate.

And to the rest of you,

I'm just using this opportunity to shamelessly kick my own message to the top of the heap! :lol:

Can't wait to hear from more of you!

TeeTaa

It is J.C. that makes the earrings. I think Katie still has some left but not sure if she is selling stuff at her event coming up. I made a lot of decorated antique bottles for the last event that was rained out. Maybe I can find a supply of more bottles. Check with Katie and see what she may have that she needs help selling. What day do you want stuff by?

Rochelle

Oooooooooh - needlecrafts and decorated antique bottles. Sounds great!

Katie didn't mention having anything left over that we might use. But the fact that I didn't think to ask may have something to do with that! :lol:

As far as when I'd like to have stuff . . . well, the event is from noon til 5 on December 4th, so 11 am or so that day should do! :lol: Seriously, I don't plan to have a "cut-off" date (Ry, you must've been in the corporate world too long!) I don't mind getting stuff the day before, although it'd be nice to get it sooner just so I can make sure everything is tagged correctly, etc. But I would like to have an idea before you even ship stuff of what you're sending so I can be planning.

Thanks already to Pamela for preliminarily planning to come help. There are still some of you I'll hunt down before this is all said and done . . . Angie, Nina (Nushka), Shirley (SamsWifeShirley), MY SISTERS!!

And yes, I'm yet again shamelessly kicking this to the top!

TeeTaa

Elaine,

Haven't I always heard that left-handed folks are the most creative?! :lol::lol: You might think you don't have anything to contribute, but I plan to "use" you anyway . . . that's what you get for telling us you're a writer! I'll PM you with my idea . . .

Kickin' it back up!

TeeTaa

I will figure something out to send. Maybe I'll have my daughter design a Christmas card or something. She is definitely more creative than I (although I am a darn good cook). Speaking of cooking, I know it is probably too late for this year but what do you all think about a LCSC cookbook? I know that I personally buy all kinds of charity cookbooks and with the amount of people on this board, I betcha' a bunch of people wouldn't mind donating a recipe. If anyone is interested I wouldn't mind putting it together.

kitkathi

I love the cookbook idea! I've already got information from probably almost all of the companies that you can use to put them together, as I considered that for one of our school fundraisers this year, but some others voted against it. I'd be glad to send you all these "kits" of info and to provide you with the input I received from people who'd been involved in putting books together.

And I look forward to working with you on the Holiday Extravaganza fundraiser!

TeeTaa

How about comfort food..God knows Ive been craving comfort the last 2 years..There could be different chapters for different issues concerning the cancer patient, for instance foods that are soothing to the throat after radiation or easy on the stomach after chemo..I know there is probably not much in that category, but we could do many different chapters..Just a thought..

Oh, DEFINITELY the last one, Becky!

Seriously, I think it might be enough of a "theme" that all the recipes come from lc survivors or their caregivers. Could even have statements like, "This is what TBone wanted when he came home from the hospital after diagnosis." Or maybe not. That sounds strange now that I read it back to myself!

Anyway, y'all have to help with the Holiday Extravaganza fundraiser before you do a cookbook! I was here first!! :lol::lol:

TeeTaa

Ya know, Cathy, there COULD be tongue-in-cheek titles to the chapters...

A chapter for your very own pity party entitled "Whinin' for a Reason"

Comfort foods for those days when you just NEED fried cheese dipped in chocolate (sounds gross but seems the ultimate BAD thing to eat, all those cravings covered at one time).. Call it "I'll Take Mine Swimming in Chocolate" with a life preserver ring as the background/watermark

Foods that can be "eaten" by those NEEDING a bazillion calories, the Ensure milk shakes, etc. called "Fill Me Up or I'll Blow Away"

Fun sticky foods to make you forget your hair is falling out - like taffy recipes with instructions on how to pull it "I'm too Busy to be Bothered with BALD"

Regional favorites from the southerners, Texans, Nor'easterners..Manchurian... "In MY Town, THIS is Cooking!"

Quick recipes and/or tips for "meals" on the way to treatment, during treatment, in the car... "Bag It!"

I dunno....but suddenly I'm craving a big banana split... :roll: I'll take mine, swimming in chocolate...

Here's what I was thinking: Something like Recipes for Hope

Combined recipies, stories of survivors, memorial, wisdom/lessons learned pictures etc. Anyway am I making sense?

Becuase of the way that books are bound, each "family" would have 4 pages (front/back front/back)--to raise money for this, each family that participated would maybe pay a set fee.

The good thing about this is that if it's done in a certain way, pages can continued to be added each year. As long as the first print run is low enough not to have oodles of extras.

Any thoughts!

Snowflake, you are killin' me with your titles :lol: I luv your sense of humor!!

Katha,

I'll PM you with my address etc if you wouldn't mind sending me the info for the cookbook idea and for your address so I can mail you something for the Holiday Extraveganza. I'll start working on the cook book thing that after the Holiday Extraveganza. I'll get my daughter cracking on some "crafty" thing. Oh my, I sound like "Mommy Dearest"!! It is not really considered child labor is it?

kitkathi

I think the cookbook idea is fantastic. I always buy cookbooks put out by organizations because the recipes are tried and true and don't require an advanced degree from the CIA.

I also have a bunch of recipes already in word that my woman's club used a couple of years ago as a hand out at our luncheon.

I think we need to do the holiday extravaganza first but let's gather ideas for the cook book.

What great ideas!

I'm trying to think what I can send for the HE. I'm learning how to make glass beads but I'm not sure anyone would want anything made with the beads I've made so far (let's just say it's pretty evident that I'm still learning how).

Elaine I love your idea about the theme of the cookbook and I'd think we could use Snowflake's titles to keep things as light-hearted as possible.