Fundraising Opportunity

TeeTaa

This whole cookbook thing is really growing on me. And personally, I think the idea of keeping things very light-hearted, as suggested by Snowflake, is a great idea. Besides lc, one of the things that binds this group together and helps us all get through the rough days is humor. And besides - it'd be the last thing people would expect!

I was only joking about getting through the HE first . . . let's go ahead and get working on the cookbook too. I'll get all this info to KitKathi as soon as she sends me her address.

Ginny - you may not realize it, but you're apparently ahead of the curve on needlecraft. I got my Better Homes and Gardens magazine yesterday, and there's an article in there entitled In Stitches with the first line stating, "Needlepoint is receiving a lot of attention lately as the hottest old-fashioned pastime of the moment." It goes on to talk about some woman who's "one of the foremost authorities on the subject" and creates patterns. Now get this - one of her kits, which includes the "canvas, Persian yarn, needle, and instructions," sells for $98. Yes, that's NINETY-EIGHT DOLLARS, and you still have to supply the labor!! So get working on that needlecraft, Miss Ginny, but don't expect your money back if you're buying kits from this woman!!

Katie - I'll PM you my address so you can send whatever you have. I can't wait to start accumulating stuff! My husband will just LOVE having yet another pile starting in the basement! :lol::lol:

Thanks for supporting this, y'all. I really think it's worth this effort.

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

Katha,

When you start a new thread on the cookbook idea, maybe you can change the title of your string from FUNdraising to FUN GRAZING! :roll:

...and I will try to find some recipes if I EVER start unpacking boxes...if I EVER get into my house! ARGH!

Snowflake;

You are one talented wordsmith and I love it. I'll volunteer my time and 94 words per minute to format the recipes for the cookbook.

Katha, put the lchelp table next to mine at the HE and I'll help "man" the booth. And I'll try to talk Ms. Mary into giving me some of the silk florals for the lchelp booth.

My booth at the HE is "M'ambow" since I make really pretty bows for wreaths, etc. I've previously made approximately 50 blue bows for this school when they won some award and some of these women know that Katha's sister made them so maybe I can get some sales out of it. (wow, rambling sentence!) Anyway, if any of y'all need bows for the Holiday season, just let me know. You can send me your ribbon or I'll get it. I won't charge y'all unless I have to buy the ribbon and then only the cost of the ribbon.

Your friend tied in knots,

Franbow

One of the best things about these cookbook companies is that you don't have to type all the recipes yourself! You can just submit them in any form, and they take care of it. Of course, you CAN type your own, but you don't really get much of a break in cost for doing so. I know this for sure, cause when I was looking into doing a cookbook for our PTA, I'd already figured I could get Teacake to type some of them if need be!! :lol:

ViVi is having a booth too, and I think TBone's wife might also, so I'll put y'all all together - it'll just be a little party! Man - I like being in charge!

TeeTaa

Kickin' it back up!

And for those of you who might be getting confused . . . I'm doing this Holiday Extravaganza fundraiser, and kitkathi has said she'll start to work on a cookbook. Between these two things, we're bound to put some smiles on Katie and Rick's faces! And boy do they deserve it!

TeeTaa

You all are wayyy to funny!

Katha - I have started doing some handpainted stemware (wine glasses and such) that are holiday themed - would the HE be an appropriate place for those? If so, I would be happy to send some of my "better" ones - meaning not my first couple of tries :D

Let me know and I will send them on.

Kickin it back up!

Much Love,

Amy

Definitely, Amy - send that stemware! No one has mentioned anything like that, but I think it would sell. I collect pretty, themed, or just plain odd individual wine glasses, so I might just have to buy one for myself. (And I'll wait til after I see them to figure out which category they fit into! :wink::lol:)

For my contribution, I think I'm gonna make these gingerbread candle things. I couldn't even explain it to ViVi on the phone, so I won't even give it much of an effort here, except to say that you make gingerbread "panels" that you make into a square with no bottom or top, then put a candle inside. The shape is of a house, church, santa, etc., with appropriate holes cut out. You can even melt crushed-up candy in the "windows" to make it look like stained glass. Anyway, they last for several seasons if you store them correctly, they're very pretty, and when a candle is burning inside the smell is supposed to be great. I saw the idea in a magazine or book last year, but never got around to making them. And it might take me til Christmas to find that magazine/book again . . .

Y'all keep those good ideas coming!

TeeTaa

I make hemp jewelry...you know, the knotted kind with beads and such in them. I can make some in varying lengths, with wood beads, glass beads, etc. Do you think these would fit with the rest of the items? I see them alot on teens/young adults...perhaps they would make a good Christmas gift for younger ones.

Let me know, and I'll whip up a batch!

Blessings,

Katie

OK--

On the cookbook front:

As my father keeps telling me I was was too well educated--and didn't learn a darn thing that was practical! :) I can't even boil water properly :oops: (I pay bills, organize, clean, etc. very well, though--thank you!).

HOWEVER: I have inherited my grandmother's receipe box (including ones from my great-grandmother). That's the Southern side of my family--so that shouldn't be a problem down there, right, Teetaa? Also--Geoff's mom's side of the family is Italian, so they MUST have a receipe or two...

On the Holiday Ex. front: I have taken up needlepoint again. My grandmother taught me to sew, knit, crochet, needlepoint, and to begin to quilt -- all of which I promptly gave up or "forgot" when I hit my teens and spent less time "down south". Long hours in the hospital recently have brought me back to needlepoint, again (although I could certainly use pointers from you, Ginny! :)). Maybe some needlepointed Christmas tree ornaments?

The practical part of me wants to know, though, what tends to sell well?!?!?

I'll continue to rack my three brain cells on this front...

Love to you all,

Melinda

OK, sometimes it takes me awhile to catch on. i only found the "GENERAL" forum this morning and i've been playing w/this site for a week now. i'm gonna say it's because my brain is foggy... i'm still on vicodin for a chest tube that has not been pulled yet. anyway, i'm so happy to have found this place and i have enjoyed this thread i've been reading and it has gotten me excited about the HE and cookbook. i would love to donate something pretty to raise funds and also recipes for the cookbook. please keep us updated where to send things and when.

Don't worry, KatieB - I learned from the Master (you!) This event is entirely INDOORS!

Can't wait to get the "goodies". Tooth fairy pillows? I might just have to invest in one - my seven-year-old has lost two teeth in the last week and has another one hanging on for all its life! Talking a little funny, but looking cute nonetheless!

Kickin' it up!

TeeTaa

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any craft abilities to contribute, but was thinking about these awesome fundraising plans today and wanted to kick this back to the top to remind everyone and let any new people know about it.

KitKathi, are we still looking for recipes? I can certainly contribute some where in that department.

Gina

Thanks for kicking this up, Gina. I had planned to post a reminder message this morning, but this works too!

HEY Y'ALL - DON'T FORGET TO SEND ME STUFF! (And yes, I know I'm yelling - wanted to be sure everyone hears me!) I've already gotten some great jewelry (made by J.C.) and tooth fairy pillows (made by Rosanne) from Katie, so tha "accumulation" has begun! I really think this is a great opportunity . . . I had planned to take reservations for booths until mid-November, but I'm already just about full and getting more calls every day. So word is getting out about the Holiday Extravaganza, so I think we'll have a lot of people there - meaning we'll sell a lot of stuff and make some fundraising moolah!

Pamela and Angie and their kids from over in Alabama are planning to come help out selling stuff in the booth, and of course my family will be there, so it'll also be fun in that some of us will get a chance to meet - FINALLY! The rest of you are invited too!

Remember - PM or e-mail me (jkstuart@bellsouth.net) if you need more info. And if you're sending items to be sold, let me know how you think we should price it . . . we might have to adjust it a bit depending on the market, but I'd like to start with your suggestions.

Thanks!

Katha (aka TeeTaa)

Hi Katha,

I haven't forgotten about the Holiday Extravaganza. My husband has just got back in town. He is going to the hardware store today to get the wood to make the set of three cute reindeer I was telling you about. It might take him a couple weeks to make but should be ready by the fundraiser. When did we need to send in the crafts by?

Thanks,

kitkathi

As long as I have things by around December 1st, we'll be fine. For those one-of-a-kind pieces that some people are making or providing (KitKathi's husband's wooden reindeer set, ViVi's stained glass piece, ballgame tickets, Broadway tickets, etc.) that might be difficult to price, I plan to set them up silent auction style, so people can place bids and the highest bidder wins. If you're making/providing something like this, I'd really like to know at least a couple of weeks before the event so that I can get nice "bid sheets" prepared for each piece. (My marketing degree comes in handy when it comes to things like this - I can assure you it won't be "halfway done" and that we'll maximize the opportunity to raise funds.)

Thanks again to all of you for your support of this endeavor.

Katha